M9 Long Term

Paul J

It is peculiar time, indeed . Couple of weeks ago I re-checked M9, M-E prices. To my surprise they are not so far from used M240 prices.   

Consider checking UK Leica dealers' prices which show significant differences i.e. M9 considerably ££less than M240 series.

dunk 

Consider checking UK Leica dealers' prices which show significant differences i.e. M9 considerably ££less than M240 series.

dunk 

One UK dealer is showing an M8 at considerably more than they have been ......

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One UK dealer is showing an M8 at considerably more than they have been

Black M8 at just under £1200?  … Maybe prudent to pay the extra £350 to buy a used M9 listed not far away by another dealer and which includes new sensor :)

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

dunk 

Great!

Where I'm at this moment cheapest M9 is from UK at 2600 USD, next is 2800 USD also from UK. And cheapest M 2400 is at 3100 USD by multiple offers from USA and Canada. 

I don't know about it becoming a classic or collectable, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the M9 (and siblings) being worth more that M240 & other CMOS based Ms in the future. Simply because the CMOS does not render like the CCD does and it will be much rarer. Preference is of course a matter of personal taste and I prefer the CCD, by a long way.

• Like 2

I don't know about it becoming a classic or collectable, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the M9 (and siblings) being worth more that M240 & other CMOS based Ms in the future. Simply because the CMOS does not render like the CCD does and it will be much rarer. Preference is of course a matter of personal taste and I prefer the CCD, by a long way.

I think this is a reasonable analysis. I am fairly bullish about it being collectible as well because of all of the above and the fact it was the first FF M digital. It just looks so good and feels so right in the hand now. Mine's a user  - would never hermetically seal one away in nitrog...

I wouldn't be surprised to see the M9 (and siblings) being worth more that M240 & other CMOS based Ms in the future.

Unfortunately I doubt that mine will be - one has too much paint knocked off and a rather unpleasant ding! Still working as well as ever though :). Personally, I had hoped that prices would keep dropping so that I could keep buying and using, but I suspect that you are right.

Great!

Where I'm at this moment cheapest M9 is from UK at 2600 USD, next is 2800 USD also from UK. And cheapest M 2400 is at 3100 USD by multiple offers from USA and Canada.

https://leicastoremiami.com/collections/used-m-cameras/products/used-leica-m9-black-paint-new-ccd-3-batteries-thumbs-up-12-971-shots?variant=8190685675564

I have done a lot of business with these excellent folks. Very helpful to have a connection inside the Leica organization for inevitable issues. If you are interested, ask for Josh.

• Like 1

It is amazing to me that suddenly the M8/M9/M240 market is creating some deals that suggest to me to buy another M9 and even an M8. These are just "thoughts" and not real "buying thoughts".

The question is whether a M9 with a new sensor from Leica is really "like new" for some prolonged time or not. $2500 is much better looking than $6999.99 .....

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that you don't trust the new M9 sensor and it will suffer from more issues?

We could be more concerned with lead-free solders, tin whiskers.

Edited by pico
  • Like 3

I have my M9 since five or so years ago, and it has been reliable like any film M Leica I have had in the past, maybe a bit disappointing with writing speed the first years, but not any more, until it´s latest visit to Leica for sensor replacement and firmware last year, it has been more stable about writing. Now both of my CCD Leicas are having new sensors and I can only say thank you Leica! 

• Like 2

........ and provided they have the Mk II sensor (as distinct from an older but replaced Mk I type) they should offer good service for at least a few years and probably a lot longer. 

dunk 

Hello Dunk, would you please elaborate on the difference between the Mk I and Mk II replacement sensors? I am being offered a M9 with replaced sensor. Is there a way to check whether that camera has a Mk I or Mk II sensor?