M9 Long Term

Paul J

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a bit of a fun speculating post really. I love my M9 and I don't think i'll ever sell it. Mine is now more of a backup to a 240 but I still use it as a working 2nd body a lot.

It's a great tool, small, compact, light, excellent IQ for what it is. I love the look of the files which is a little film like and now the sensor is fixed I hope it will see long term use going forward. I suspect I'm pushing towards a shutter replacement on mine though. It's seen a lot of action! But I've take care of it and it still looks great.

But the M9 is the one digital camera that I think may just turn into a digital classic and become collectible, rising in value one day.

I do know that sensors can just get old and go, so there is that, and the batteries will some day cease to be made I'm sure so there is that to consider but otherwise I think the potential is there for some long term value.

What do others think?

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 3

Just a bit of a fun speculating post really. What do others think?

I have 2 x M9s and will probably keep them until they are either uneconomic to repair or I cannot get parts/batteries to keep them going. I rather like them for many reasons, but mine will never become collectable due to signs of use. Great camera despite falling behind in the 'progress' stakes. At base ISO though they still deliver very fine images indeed.

• Like 2

Get a couple of new batteries now and you are set for another decade.  I had the batteries of my DMR refurbished, the original 2004 ones of my Digilux2 are still OK.

As for shutter replacement, it is impossible to predict. Although there have been early failures, there have been reports of well over 300.000 actuations as well.

I would say: just shoot and enjoy, it is built to last.

• Like 3

Despite having a wonderful M10, a few months ago I re-bought a silver M9P, mint, just back from Wetzlar with the new sensor, only 500 actuations. The M9P was my first Leica so I have a sentimental attachment to it, in silver I still think it is the most beautiful digital M, I love the files it makes and even rather like the clunky shutter sound. Unless financial disaster looms I hope never to get rid of it, and as a daylight camera up to ISO 650 it makes a superb backup/second body to the M10. If it should go up in value that would be nice too, and I shouldn't be surprised if it did, but that is certainly not why I re-acquired it.

• Like 1

Get a couple of new batteries now and you are set for another decade.  I had the batteries of my DMR refurbished, the original 2004 ones of my Digilux2 are still OK.

I do still have a couple of M8 batteries running well in my M9s - so far only one failed original battery in over a decade, one lost (dropped it and of course it bounced and went down a drain!) and 7 still running fine - but I do take on board your suggestion - 2 new batteries/year would make sense and whilst not a cheap option, is hardly expensive in relative terms. I do have 3 chargers - thanks ;)  :D.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't see any digital camera becoming a valuable collectors item, well maybe the Apple M, of which there is only 1.

You could argue the M8 should be collectible being the first digital M but values just dropped and dropped to a level where the value makes it not worth selling for most owners which is why you see few on the market.

Any camera is made to use, but more so digital cameras which aren't really that much different to a computer that you stick a lens on. Use it as much as you can while it lasts!

I've just bought my 3rd M9 an absolute minter with proven new sensor and only 980 actuations (my other 2 show signs of use but have new sensors also). Should last me a while. I messed around with all sorts of cameras before settling on the M9 and to be honest when it was first out I couldn't afford it. I don't know about "classic" but I for sure am settled with my 3 M9 kit.

• Like 5

I recently attended a Leica Mayfair presentation where camera repair technician David Slater, dismantled a Leica M9 and demonstrated sensor cleaning. David regularly uses his own M9; he praised the camera highly and mentioned that the sensor corrosion problem does not affect every M9. The camera's usable ISO range is limited compared to more recent models but it compares favourably with any film camera - so if you're happy with an analogue Leica camera you'll likely be happy with an M9. If an M9's sensor does corrode it can still be replaced but to the best of my knowledge will likely cost c.£1000 … which apparently is still 'below cost' for Leica Camera AG (all sensor replacements are completed in Germany). Currently, secondhand M9s fitted with replacement sensors are regularly offered (and sold quickly) by dealers for less than £1900 - sometimes a lot less - and provided they have the Mk II sensor (as distinct from an older but replaced Mk I type) they should offer good service for at least a few years and probably a lot longer. Furthermore, for many Leica photographers, the M9's CCD image footprint can be more appealing than the M240's CMOS sensor's rendering. And a similar argument can be put forward for the original Leica MM. 

The monitor coffee stain' problem is the main reason why few dealers sell s/h Leica M8 cameras; replacement screen parts are unavailable thus dealers are unable to offer a full guarantee. However, many Leica Forum members still use their M8s regularly and share their images https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/110001-m8-photographs-post-them-here/page-87  One advantage of the M8 is its infrared imaging capability.

dunk 

• Like 4

I see no issue with M9 longevity with Leica support. My M8 from 2007 had several problems, SD cards were flaky, the LEDs in the finder were mainly failed, being main issues. Leica are replacing two circuit boards and other minor work so an 11 year old digital will be returned to full spec and with warranty on repairs. Cost is around that of a S/H M8 except mine will have been set up to spec at the factory with new parts, another 10 years out of it will suit me nicely. Of course while it is away I had the perfect excuse to buy an M9, new sensor, low activations ( bless those careful/frugal shooters) . I like the camera so much I am looking at a Monochrome despite the M8s prowess in that area. 

Hopefully the user base will support battery supply and I am sure that worst case Leica could arrange a special batch, probably at a special price, should the need arise. It's slow and low capacity SD cards that I worry about being available in ten years time, and myself of course  ;)

• Like 1

My M8 came to me in 2017 with modern fast 32 GB. I sold M8 after few months and kept the card for M-E. Zero problems with M8 and M9. I have zero problems to use memory cards from another cameras without formating. It means you could get large capacity card and format it to the size it needs to be.

In ten years it is not going to be which size to get, SD is going to be SF. Off the shelves, but still available. Most likely in form of adapter to smaller card and with build-in computer. Right now SD cards adapters are available with wireless file transfer fw and hw.

Same here. I use Sandisk Extreme 32 GB 90mb/s in my M9 with absolutely no issues. I already have quite a large number of cards as I decided to simply carry any cards rather than a laptop or other form of storage when extended trips.. 

• Like 1

[quote name="Ko.Fe." post="3482336" timestamp="1521300303"

but still available. Most likely in form of adapter to smaller card and with build-in computer. Right now SD cards adapters are available with wireless file transfer fw and hw.

Same here. I use Sandisk Extreme 32 GB 90mb/s in my M9 with absolutely no issues. I already have quite a large number of cards as I decided to simply carry any cards rather than a laptop or other form of storage when extended trips.. 

Jean Michel, could you upload a photo of this Sandisk card ? I'd like to know if you can reach 6 or 7 frames on continues mode with this SD.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here is a scan of the two cards I use. The scanner did not pickup the gold lettering of the Extreme Pro 95 mb/s (I use those for in the M-P).

I tried the continuous mode and I get 7 shots before the camera stops for digesting the images. I never use 'continuous'; never bothered with any motor drives in film days either. The fastest time between shots was the time it took to advance the film, and that was fast enough. 

Edited by Jean-Michel
  • Like 2

I don't see any digital camera becoming a valuable collectors item, well maybe the Apple M, of which there is only 1.

You could argue the M8 should be collectible being the first digital M but values just dropped and dropped to a level where the value makes it not worth selling for most owners which is why you see few on the market.

Any camera is made to use, but more so digital cameras which aren't really that much different to a computer that you stick a lens on. Use it as much as you can while it lasts!

There are more than a few collectable digital cameras for which there is a good demand from collectors and which command high prices - including some realising many £$€'000s ... e.g. at past WestLict Auctions.

Study the WestLicht Auction past sales results for proof of demand and collectibility http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?id=418&L=1

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire