Recommended Flash unit for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many thanks for the suggestion. I have to go down to Ikea in Toulon as soon as I get to France to buy some more IVAR shelving. My collection of classic Leicas must have been breeding in the middle of the night, when I was not watching, as there seems to be more of them than ever and I have run out of shelf space in France  :)  I will buy some of their Ladda batteries. 

Wilson

These: https://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/catalog/products/70303876/

Success with the shelves ;)

• Like 2

I just received a SF 24D that I purchased from Ebay for $120. It is like new, with a good size for CL, and works perfectly well with TTL . 

I am not using flash often, but I think it is good to have one for some situations. That little in-camera flash that I have in my T saved me some precious shots and if I was not interested in TL2, it was because they removed the flash to give more cooling space for the new sensor (as I was told by someone who was involved in TL2 development.

So, I think this "old" Leica flash would be quite enough for me. ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I just received a SF 24D that I purchased from Ebay for $120. It is like new, with a good size for CL, and works perfectly well with TTL . 

I am not using flash often, but I think it is good to have one for some situations. That little in-camera flash that I have in my T saved me some precious shots and if I was not interested in TL2, it was because they removed the flash to give more cooling space for the new sensor (as I was told by someone who was involved in TL2 development.

So, I think this "old" Leica flash would be quite enough for me. ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_0359.jpg

NIce...Seems the 24D is also more available as second hand than the SF 26...

• Like 1

NIce...Seems the 24D is also more available as second hand than the SF 26...

Thanks. I have seen many of them with quite reasonable prices. SF 26 is still expensive in second hand. 26 is a cute flash but the reviews I have seen were not great. I don’t think SF 24D is much inferior; at least for my rare use.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wouldn't call the SF24D inferior, probably just the opposite - but it does not tilt.

Jaap, I may have used a wrong word. What I meant was a flash that was older than 26 which is supposed to be an upgrade to 24.(English is not my language. :) )

I should also thank you, Jaap, for the information you gave me about 24, which made me decide to choose this flash.

Edited by Louis

If you are taking photos of people with the SF24, you will almost certainly find that a diffusor will be needed to avoid glaring white faces with lots of red-eye for those with open eyes. One or two layers of tissue paper work just fine. The other problem I found with the SF24 is that the interval from pre-flash to main flash is about the same as some folks' blink reflex time, so you quite often seem to get photos of them with their eyes shut. 

Wilson

If you are taking photos of people with the SF24, you will almost certainly find that a diffusor will be needed to avoid glaring white faces with lots of red-eye for those with open eyes. One or two layers of tissue paper work just fine. The other problem I found with the SF24 is that the interval from pre-flash to main flash is about the same as some folks' blink reflex time, so you quite often seem to get photos of them with their eyes shut. 

Wilson

The solution I like best is the SFILL by Leicagoodies.

The solution I like best is the SFILL by Leicagoodies.

attachicon.gifsfill.animated.gif

There are always different solutions and different materials that one can use for different situations to avoid this kind of issues. ;)

Sorry about typo with your name in my previous notes. I could corrected it as soon as I realized! :}

Auto spelling correction makes some weird things sometimes. ;) 

Edited by Louis

A test case for the SF 40 under the worst possible conditions: Direct flash, low ambient light, black ceiling, black furniture, window right behind and close foreground. I think it and the CL, cope rather well.

• Like 3

I picked up an SF 26 at a great price used. It’s nice and compact yet super flexible and powerful. I love it.

I was wondering which flash unit  is recommended for the Leica CL.

Leica SF 26 / Metz 26 AF 2

Leica SF 40 / Nissin i40

Metz 40 AF 2

Thanks for your input :)

At night with CL and 23mm Summicron-t

I could borrow a SfF26 from a friend. In comparison with he SF 40 it  happens to be even worse than I expected. The poor battery door, 2 X AAA, no Manual and only a little bit cheaper than the SF 40.

In the past I was a Metz fan, but the only advantage of the SF 26 is its size if unfolded.... :)

Just received my new SF 26 from Germany. Nice little flash as expected. Here on the CL with my recently acquired Tessar 35/3.5 adapted by MS Optical. The SF 26 is a bit more expensive (320 EUR) than the SF 24D (310 EUR) normally but i got it new for 310 EUR shipping included. Works fine in TTL and LED modes and its small WA diffuser doesn't fit badly on my copy. No manual capabilities but the CL's exposure compensation works fine in flash mode so i doubt i will ever need to go manual on that combo. The two AAA batteries are easy to replace and recycle time has never been slower than 4s so far. Could be faster but there are bigger flash guns like SF 40 and SF 64 for that and the LED mode of the LF 26 is very handy. Thanks again for your help folks :).

i-cs4P648-XL.jpg