Recommended Flash unit for CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After searching long time for a "reasonable" flash for my CL;  and, considering different options for someone like me who is not using flash often, I finally decided to get a used, but like new, SF24D for a very reasonable price. I must also thank Jaap for his very useful recommendations.

I finally had time to make some tests in the street and I am really very happy. This is exactly what I needed and nothing more for my occasional use.

These shots have been taken through the windows in the street, and all the dirt you see are from the windows. :)

CL + Vario Elmar-T, 18-56 mm

p2810446891-6.jpg

p2810446890-6.jpg

p2810446892-6.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link. I hope that Nissin have made the detents on the rear dial far more definite than those on the SF40. It is far too easy to just brush the dial and inadvertently dial in plus or minus flash strength. 

PS Any indication of price yet or a guess on how much the loading will be on the Nissin i60 (€220) ? 

Edited by wlaidlaw

• 3 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use the Godox TT350 (O)  [the O is for Olympus] on my Leica CL and it works fine. I also use it off camera with the Godox X2T remote Flash Trigger on my Lecia CL, which also works fine.  I got both at B & H Photo for my Olympus, Panasonic and Leica CL cameras.  Way better than $600 for a Leica flash with no remote trigger. 

Several weeks ago I picked up a few items made by Godox to use with my Leica CL:

• Godox Xpro Wireless Flash Trigger - Nikon version
  • Godox AD200 Pro (for off camera strobe)
  • Godox Mini TT350N - Nikon Version (for on or off camera flash)

Of course with this setup I am not using any TTL functionality - all manual. Based on my limited usage so far, I can say that the whole setup works well. Lots of trial and error for me at this point as I am very new to the world of off camera lighting using strobes/flashes. Below I have attached  a sample of my wife using all the gear listed above with my Leica CL.

In my research leading up to this bulk purchase I also looked at the off camera flash offerings from Leica - the SF 60 Flash Unit and SF C1 Trigger. I found it incredibly off-putting seeing how much more expensive these two items are in comparison to their Nissin counterparts - double the price! I know, I know - this is the Leica way when it comes to accessory items, but I do wish they could be a bit more reasonable. Good to know there are alternatives if one does not require TTL functionality.

Cheers!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...