which one you choose: Elmarit 28 asph V1 or v2 or Summicron 28 asph v1

cafecacao

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone,

Now my need is 28mm focal length and I am considering between price and performance of these lens. Yes, I have read many many information on fb & our forum here but I aslo need your advice which one is the best option. I received offer:

- Elmarit 28mm F2.8 Asph V1: used 95% : $1450

- Elmarit 28mm F2.8 Apsh V2: Brand new: $2250

- Summicron 28mm F2.0 Apsh V1: Used 80%: $2000.

Using M10

I am confusing maybe due to read a lot of comments about this issue so I open this topic for my choice.

Please comments and let me know your idea. it is really useful for me. Tks

Summicron 28 for sure. You will not regret it. There is very little difference between V1 and V2. I would suggest you check out the lens in person or get it with a free return policy.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

I have a F2 28mm.  Great lens.  I love it.  Here's a recent shot with it. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

No experience with 28/2.8 asph v2 sorry. 

- If size is a concern: 28/2.8 asph v1 

- If low light is a concern: 28/2 v1

- If you like optical blur: 28/2 v1

- If you prefer high contrast lenses: 28/2.8 asph v1

- If you prefer low contrast lenses: None

- If you're after a portraiture lens: None or 28/2 v1

- If i had to choose myself: Both :D

The Summicron gathers twice as much light as the Elmarit. However, the Elmarit is smaller and lighter. Both lenses are very sharp and draw beautifully with nice colors.

I would always go for version 2. The newer lenses are much sharper in the corners and at the edges, no doubt about it. They also have a new coating.

BTW, the Summilux 28mm is also very sharp and has a very nice rendering and it is f/1.4. Of course, it is larger, heavier, more expensive and blocks the viewfinder more. Nevertheless, it is a beautiful lens.

Personally, I prefer the new Summicron 28mm (11672) or the Summilux 28mm.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want a modern Leica lens in that focal length that is optimised for digital, then 28/2.8 ASPH V2.

Apparently it is sharper in the corners than the V1. I use it on film, and it produces crisp, sharp, clean colours and is a joy to use. No noticeable viewfinder blockage on a 0.58 either.

J :)

28/2.8/ASPH-I for the size and excellent performance. I am trying to find one of the rare silver ones to match my camera body.

Really you cannot lose with your choices. Just be sure that the 80% Summicron doesn’t have a loose front ring.

Eric

• Like 1

Really appreciate your comments.

Actually, everyone wants to get Summiron 28 Asph V2 or Summilux, but budget is huge matter here. Summicron seem to be OK for me now but I am afraid that the lens is too old (80% condition). Moreover, I never mind the size of lens except Noct hahaha..

By the way, sorry I don't have experience about checking second hand lens. I checked the lens below, it appears some dust inside, seem not be on surface of lens. What have any problem with this lens, everyone? it is good price. I don't want to skip this lens so need your advice.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by cafecacao

The optical path looks clear, the minor specks around the perimeter I think are just bubbles in the adhesive that holds the element to the carrier. I would try a set of test shots at wide, mid, and small apertures. If all are sharp, you have a winner. Be sure you get the hood and hood cap in the purchase.

A bonus of this lens is that it uses E39 filters, and there are a nice selection of vintage examples for good prices.

Eric

As LCT, I use both older Summicron-M 2/28 and for a year or so v 1 Elmarit-M 2.8/28 Asph. (along with other 28mm to be honest ;)).

The Elmarit-M asph. 28 IQ is as good as can be a so tiny lens with no finder blockage at all, the nicest in everyday use.

In your shoes, I'd take the v2 new 28 Elmarit asph. or the v1 second hand (nice copies are not very expensive if you change your mind later).

As always, a not very good copy can be hard to sell if you change your mind later.

• Like 1

I recently compared the Elmarit ASPH price-to-performance increase and the the Summicron price-to-performance increase from the previous model to the current one. I think the Summicron v1 provides the most value for money when purchased used and shooting it on a rangefinder body. The price jump between it and the v2 is almost double, but the performance increase is marginal. The Elmarit v1 and v2 price jump is also considerable and performance increase marginal as well, but the cost of the Elmarit v2 is also lower. In your case I'd go for the Elmarit v1 because the Summicron doesn't sound to be in as good condition. Of course if you can try it and make sure all is working well then it too is a sound choice. If you have no intention of using the lens on the SL or adapting it to a Sony, you won't see the added corner performance of the Elmarit v2 on the M10 as much as on a non-rangefinder body.

Without inspecting the Elmarit v1 you have viewed personally I don't think one can identify all the potential issues via a picture off the web. The marks on the front element appear to be cleaning residue as mentioned by Rob. Nothing a microfibre cloth can't handle. 

• Like 1

I recently compared the Elmarit ASPH price-to-performance increase and the the Summicron price-to-performance increase from the previous model to the current one. I think the Summicron v1 provides the most value for money when purchased used and shooting it on a rangefinder body. The price jump between it and the v2 is almost double, but the performance increase is marginal. The Elmarit v1 and v2 price jump is also considerable and performance increase marginal as well, but the cost of the Elmarit v2 is also lower. In your case I'd go for the Elmarit v1 because the Summicron doesn't sound to be in as good condition. Of course if you can try it and make sure all is working well then it too is a sound choice. If you have no intention of using the lens on the SL or adapting it to a Sony, you won't see the added corner performance of the Elmarit v2 on the M10 as much as on a non-rangefinder body.

Without inspecting the Elmarit v1 you have viewed personally I don't think one can identify all the potential issues via a picture off the web. The marks on the front element appear to be cleaning residue as mentioned by Rob. Nothing a microfibre cloth can't handle. 

Tks for your idea. The spots are inside the front element, not outside . This picture was taken by me when checking this lens. Now I am still considering abt it. Maybe I will negotiate with dealer again for CLA cost.

Tks for your idea. The spots are inside the front element, not outside . This picture was taken by me when checking this lens. Now I am still considering abt it. Maybe I will negotiate with dealer again for CLA cost.

$1450 is a good price, but it's also not a price which is worth the hassle. I've seen that lens go for $1300-$1500, some with user marks but none with marks in the glass. I'd skip that lens and go for another (i.e. wait it out), or even get the v2 version new for peace of mind. Alternatively, if the 28mm Summicron is in better shape optically, I'd go for that so long as the focus is smooth, aperture blades are working and there's no play at the front end or near the mount. Cosmetic marks on the outside don't matter to me as much as marks on the glass.

• Like 2

On purchasing my Elmarit ASPH 28/ 2.8 v2 I temporarily had minor qualms about not going more ‚up market‘. It has subsequently become my favourite lens on the M10. With reasonable ISO, f/2 is rarely a necessity for me and small DOF is not a major concern to me with 28 mm. I find the tiny lightweight, yet extremely well-made Elmarit virtually flawless with regard to IQ. After beginning to shoot with it, I never again regretted the purchase for a second!

• Like 4

Summicron 28 for sure. You will not regret it. There is very little difference between V1 and V2. I would suggest you check out the lens in person or get it with a free return policy.

Agree 100%. I love the 28 Cron V1. I have the V2 now but I actually think I prefer the V1 character. 

The frankenhood is the only annoyance.

I had a 28 Summicron v.1 and it is a great lens with a fugly lens hood as dkmoore rightly observes.  It would be hard to go wrong with this lens.

My current 28mm lens is the Elmarit 28mm F2.8 ASPH v.2 - it too is a great lens, but renders differently from the 28 'cron v.1.  In my experience, the Elmarit is razor sharp while the Summicron v.1 is very sharp stopped down but just very slightly velvety at f/2, which is a beautiful rendering; I miss that about the 28 'cron.

As for the Elmarit 28mm F2.8 ASPH v.1 that you seem to be leaning toward, a mild to moderate case of internal dust will not negatively affect image quality to a noticeable degree.  As the years march on, every lens ends up with internal dust; that is inevitable unless you buy a new lens and never take it out of the box and use it.

If the rear external lens element is pristine, that is the major concern.  Oily deposits on the aperture blades means the lens has been exposed to high heat (as in left in a hot car in the summer).  This can be corrected by having it CLAed (cleaned, lubricated & adjusted) or overhauled. 

As for the front external lens element, minor cleaning marks are acceptable and will not significantly degrade image quality; same for a tiny scratch or two.  Either of these - cleaning marks or minor scratches - should result  accordingly in a lower price.

If the lens needs a CLA, find out what the cost will be and ask the seller to deduct that amount from the selling price of the lens.  They may balk, but this is not at all an unreasonable request.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2