Struggling to find "My" 50mm.

Abram

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I rescanned this thread and did not see you mention how long you worked with various models.  I'm no expert but I believe you have to work with a lens for quite some time to learn how it handles different lighting, subjects, etc.  

As someone above noted, your website shows an affinity to cropping to square.  Wont a square crop on a 35mm get you pretty close to 50mm uncropped? Much of what I read is the 35 FLE is a phenomenal lens.  Unless you want to compress the depth of subjects in the frame, or you are photographing someone and don't want to distort their features, you may not need a 50.  

Also, if your camera handles noise (like your M10) you can crop heavily and still get fine resolution.  

So, the bottom line is you may not need a 50 at all. 

(If something I've written is technically wrong I hope someone will straighten it out.)

Ray

I have just found “my” 50mm! For a couple of years I have had the modern Summilux ASPH. It is a beautiful lens, incredibly good, but still I missed something. The pictures were nice, but maybe “too good” – and somewhat boring.

After I recently got an old Noctilux f/1.0 v2, I finally feel I have found what I was looking for. I have heard Noctilux was so big and clumsy, but the first thing I noticed was how (relatively) small it was. And it was surprisingly fast and easy to focus. Because I want something "special" I am willing to sacrifice some modern convenience and use it as my everyday lens. 

• Like 2

So I've been through quite a few 50mm lenses in my time with Leica, perhaps that's one of the downfalls of having so many options, but as such I seem to be struggling to find one that really suits me. I might be close with the Elmar-M but even with my second copy there's just something... missing, something intangible.

So far I've tried the following 50s out.

From Leica:

50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH - 11891

50mm f/2 Summicron-M V - 11826

50mm f/2 Summicron-M IV - 11819

50mm f/2.4 Summarit-M - 11680

50mm f/2.8 Elmar-M - 11831 x2

From Zeiss:

50mm f/1.5 C-Sonnar T*

50mm f/2 Planar T* x2

From Voigtlander:

50mm f/1.1 Nokton

50mm f/1.5 Nokton (LTM + M)

50mm f/2.5 Color Skopar LTM x2

From Konica:

50mm f/2 M-Hexanon

From Nikon:

5cm f/2 Nikkor-HC LTM

I just can't seem to find one that really sings to me. Each one has its merits and perhaps I'm being too picky since there ARE so many options, but as I try to hone in my lenses around ones that really speak to me, I want to get them locked in. For instance: I've grown quite fond of the 21mm Super Angulon and it is essentially mated to my M4, I love the way it draws, particularly for my black and white work and on the total opposite spectrum I'm growing more and more fond of my 35mm Summilux FLE. 

It's entirely possible that maybe I'm just in a season of life as a photographer where 50mm isn't "MY" focal length anymore and I just work with 21 and 35 for a while, who knows. But I suppose I'm just looking for something that seems missing. 

I'm sorry to write such a long and seemingly pointless post, I think I just needed a place to write down my thoughts. To those of you that find yourselves in similar positions having tried a multitude of lenses looking for "the one", did you ever find what you were looking for?

In my opinion I don't believe there is a "my". There is no one lens, focal length, camera, technique, composition, lighting that suits every single photo you are ever going to take. To try and compartmentalise photography like that only amounts to a certain kind of madness which it seems, in all, respect you are going through. We all go through that madness from time to time.

I really do appreciate that it's hard and sometimes almost impossible to find what you want. Just roll with it and accept that it's there. Try to concentrate on the content instead - that is really the only place that is guaranteed to make a photo sing.

Edited by Paul J

Looking at your portfolios of Calif & Iceland - you're clearly drawn to landscape sorts of pics

I see no need for f:1.4.  If 50, you'd be fine with a 2.8 like my current fav 50, Elmarit-M.  Fab lens

Next is the Summ v4 - my go to for yrs

Thank you for taking the time to look through some of my work. You're right in that I don't really NEED fast apertures for how I use a 50mm. I like having f/1.4 on my 35mm but I only need one fast lens. Presently my 50 is indeed the Elmar-M and that is probably what I'll be sticking with.

Don't take me wrong,

I assume you want to talk about Elmar-M 2.8/50 which is exception in naming not Elmarit-M ;) even if it's f 2.8 lens.

My EX favorite was Elmar-M 2.8/50mm, now I'm happy with Summarit-M 2.5/50 with rounder aperture, shorter/smaller, focus tab, without worrying about collapsing/uncollapsing, :p.

I had the 2.4 Summarit and it was a fine lens, Somehow I preferred the Elmar.

what was the constraint choosing between these lenses?  budget or quality?

I was evaluating each one on the merits of its rendering (based on my personal taste), handling / ergonomics and build quality.

I rescanned this thread and did not see you mention how long you worked with various models.  I'm no expert but I believe you have to work with a lens for quite some time to learn how it handles different lighting, subjects, etc.  

As someone above noted, your website shows an affinity to cropping to square.  Wont a square crop on a 35mm get you pretty close to 50mm uncropped? Much of what I read is the 35 FLE is a phenomenal lens.  Unless you want to compress the depth of subjects in the frame, or you are photographing someone and don't want to distort their features, you may not need a 50.  

Also, if your camera handles noise (like your M10) you can crop heavily and still get fine resolution.  

So, the bottom line is you may not need a 50 at all. 

(If something I've written is technically wrong I hope someone will straighten it out.)

Ray

Ray, I was trying to grasp the reference when it was first mentioned (though I do actually shoot square with a Hasselblad) but then I remembered that my image galleries on my site show the thumbnail previews in a square grid, but each one opens up to its full perspective. I don't do much cropping in post production unless I feel it's really necessary. You're also right in that I probably didn't spend ENOUGH time with each lens to really get to know them, I could tell when there was one I came back to 2 or even 3 times that it had something that interested me but I always wound up finding something I didn't like. I've had this strange love / hate relationship with Leica products ever since switching to them. More love than hate though, that's for certain.

In my opinion I don't believe there is a "my". There is no one lens, focal length, camera, technique, composition, lighting that suits every single photo you are ever going to take. To try and compartmentalise photography like that only amounts to a certain kind of madness which it seems, in all, respect you are going through. We all go through that madness from time to time.

I really do appreciate that it's hard and sometimes almost impossible to find what you want. Just roll with it and accept that it's there. Try to concentrate on the content instead - that is really the only place that is guaranteed to make a photo sing.

Paul I definitely agree with you. When I originally posted this I was kind of stuck mentally and I was blaming my equipment which is never the right answer. Over the years I've gotten better about not trying to solve creative blocks with new equipment because all that does is lead you down an endless path. What I did do was evaluate everyones opinions and weigh my own thoughts, and exercise a little patience and perspective. I've come to realize that the 50 I currently own, the Elmar-M is really the right one for me so I don't need to look for anything else in the end :)

On a more serious note I am super thankful for you all taking the time to humor me and share some dialog. I think this was a really insightful experience and I'm grateful to this community.

• Like 1

For Leica, 50mm are so different and so many (hundreds if not thousands) to discover (or ignore :p ).

I have used and always use maybe not far from hundred "50 family" in SLR/M/LTM :

one thing I can say " they are all different" even with "same type lens but not same period",

for example I use a dozen of Elmar 50 made from 1930's to the last Elmar-M (2000's period), and my favorite is Elmar 3.5/50 1950's made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Summilux 1.4 which was good but large and heavy.

APO Summicron which is the best by a long chalk. Resolution, contrast, weight, and size are all perfect. Who could ask for anything more than a lens designed for people who aren't built to lump around 700 grams of lens on umpteen kms of a country walk.

I jus thave to comment on this statement as I find it kinda funny.

The Summilux is large and heavy, while the APO-Summicron is the perfect weight and size? the difference in weight is 35 grams. Your Thumbs Up weighs a lot more.

APO-Summicron:
Dimensions: W: 53.0 x L: 47.0 mm
Weight: 300 g

Summilux ASPH:
Dimensions: W: 52.5 x L: 53.5 mm
Weight: 335 g
  • Like 1

50/2 v5, 50/2 apo, 50/1.4 asph:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

It is nearly impossible to have the "one perfect" 50mm lens. I have used and tested almost everything out there that can be attached to a Leica M camera. In fact, I wrote an article for the LHSA Viewfinder journal entitled the "Bokeh Kings" a few years ago.

Here is the link for that article

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2014/10/bokeh-kings/

I would highly recommend the Rigid Summicron instead of the Dual Range. They are virtually the same lens, but the Dual Range has issues on the later M digital cameras. The mount on the Rigid is lighter and more ergonomic as well. Next I would say I love my Black Chrome 50 Summilux ASPH for its optical qualities and also its ergonomics. BTW, I had specced this lens originally for the LHSA MP3 and it is a winner. I still love it!

One lens not mentioned here is the Canon 50/1.4 LTM lens, better known as the Japanese Summilux. They can be had for a song and perform phenomenally well. I did an article for Viewfinder with this lens too featuring photos of a Santana concert at the Hard Rock in Las Vegas with the MM1. I have blown images up to 24 x 36 with no issues. I used this lens for the concert instead of the 50/1.5 Sonnar C ZM, which I also own and love, because I was concerned at the hit rate I would have with it using the MM1. I would be more comfortable using it on the M10 with Live View to nail critical focus. 

My last recommendation would be the 50/2.8 Elmar M. By chance, I had this lens in my bag in San Francisco and took this image of the Golden Gate Bridge from the beach at the Presidio, hand held. This lens was my third choice after initially using the 25/2.8 ZM and the 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH. They were both too wide. You can pick these up every day of the week for under $1K. Again, I have blown this image up to 24 x 36 with no issues. As they say the proof is in the pudding!

• Like 4

Here's one of Sanata from the concert mentioned above with the Canon 50/1.4 LTM

• Like 6

One more of Santana - can't resist showing how good this lens really is!

• Like 6

As they say the proof is in the pudding!

attachicon.gifL1101536-2.jpg

derleicaman:

Fabulous photos!  

However, the phrase should be "The proof of the pudding is in the eating"!

Regards, 

Rob

Hello Rob,

You are quite correct of course! I looked up the quote and it is credited to Cervantes. Apparently what I wrote is the common misquote of the quote. :-)

Oh, and thank you for the compliments!

• Like 1

She's fine with whatever I buy equipment wise because I don't hoard things. 

Ironically I was happy with my Elmar-M. It's a wonderful little lens but I had someone very interested (and insistent) in buying it off of me so I let it go. At the moment I'm down to just my 35mm Summilux FLE and my 21mm Super Angulon so I'll just set aside money and save up for another 50. Thanks again to everyone who's offered insight in this thread and has given me lots of things to consider as options!

Edited by Abram

• 4 weeks later...

I am not an established Leica hand but I do have loads of experience with MF and AF 50mm lenses on SLR systems, mostly Nikon. My favorites there are the 58mm 1.4E and the 55mm 1.2SC, both of which I retain for my beloved D3s.

I resolved my Leica 50mm problem with two lenses: the Summicron and the Zeiss 1.5ZM (a really nice lens BTW). To me they offer two different styles: the Leica for everyday, the Zeiss for portraits.

... and use it as my everyday lens. 

The one reason not to use any 50 mm Noctilux as an everyday lens is neither size nor weight but minimum focusing distance. They all (including the latest Noctilux-M 50 mm 1:0.95 Asph) will focus down to 1 m only but in an everyday lens I'd want 0.7 m.