M10 and Sony A7R III

TG14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can also just half press the shutter button on the area you want to expose for, and re-compose. There will be a little red dot that shows up in the viewfinder next to the shutter speed when the exposure is locked. Center-weighted meters, as the M10 uses, all behave this way. Expose for the subject, re-compose so that half the sky is in the frame, shoot. Much quicker and easier than using the exposure compensation dial.

An X-E3 or X-Pro2 with the Fuji 35/2 or 50/2 sounds like an excellent choice for you if you want something with a bit more reach than a 35mm, and with AF, and a silent shutter. Those lenses will be the equivalent of a 50mm or 75mm in FF. And they are both excellent lenses, especially for their price!

Even easier to use full manual, if needed with spot measuring.

Even easier to use full manual, if needed with spot measuring.

Certainly a reasonable suggestion but, as you are probably well aware, spot metering has its own problems. In particular, the area you DO want properly exposed (whatever that means) can have markedly different brightness levels and picking a spot that is at the dark or light end can yield a very unattractive result (e.g. a "spotlight" effect).

Besides, I thought that spot metering was not available if you don't use the LCD ("live view"), which I don't. I suppose I could set exposure using the back panel but for me it's much easier to set the EC.

Thank you regardless for posting, I will certainly keep your advice in mind.

The Sony is leaps and bounds better for long exposure and remote operated Sometimes you need more MP.

If I am going to be in a fast paced, people moving all over the place environment I use the a7R3.

For everything else it’s Leica.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I have an M10 and a Sony A7R III too.

When I mount my M 35 Lux or my 50mm APO I get fantastic results on the sony. But it is not the same joy to use it as the M.

To nail the focus on my fast moving son, it is nearly impossible. There I prefer the 24-105 G f4 with eye autofocus.

But I still love the rendering of the Leica more than with m lenses on the sony. I can not tell where the difference came by but it looks different from the sony.

My M10 is a love and hate relationship. When I see the beautiful body I like to get out for shooting... but when the situation becomes critical like low light, fast-moving objects, extreme sunny. Even if you shoot kids, the focus needs to be nailed on the eyes.

My recommendations for getting better results with the M10

Indoors:

1. Setup ISO fix to 1600 or if needed 3200

2. Setup Aperture to f4 or if possible lower

3. Setup shutter to 60 or higher to reduce shake issues by handholding

Outdoors good weather:

1. Setup ISO fix to 200 or if needed 400

2. Setup Aperture to f8 or higher

3. Setup shutter to 180 or higher

Shooting handhold 1/15 is in my no good idea, it usually will just produce unusable output.

If you try to take photos of moving kids with an M10, a higher Aperture and a wide lens like 35mm helps a lot.

But in this discipline, the sony clearly catches the Leica in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have both. When I went to Iceland I carried one M10 and an a7R and a7Rii. People photos were done almost exclusively with the Leica. Landscapes with the Sony’s. I left my Riii at home due to it have a different battery. 

If i have a paying client to shoot, I pull out the a7Riii. MP and eye AF matter to me in the fast paced shooting environment (wedding, prom, etc.).

22 hours ago, Chaemono said:

The processing power for IBIS in the tiny α7R III body generates heat that degrades the IQ. M10 performance at ISO 200-640 is better. I much prefer the M10. 

Do you have any link with tests regarding this? Because so far I've seen only the opposite.

• Like 1

Just to be fair, the α7R II/III sensor has great DR range and noise performance at high ISO. How could it not, I think in this respect Sony makes the best sensors. I guess the CL sensor is from Sony because it has impressive high ISO DR range performance for an APS-C camera. But in the range of ISO 200 to ISO 640 the M10 performs better IMO. At first I thought it had to do with larger pixels but I more and more suspect that it must be heat from the processing power for IBIS in the tiny Sony body that degrades the images. See RAW file comparisons starting at post #29 here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/290339-exposing-for-highlights/?page=2,  post #132 here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/290339-exposing-for-highlights/?page=7, and post #158 here: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/290339-exposing-for-highlights/?page=8, and many in-between. 

On 3/12/2018 at 5:02 PM, TG14 said:

Has anyone bought the A7R III or looking/thinking about it to pair it with an M10? 

If so, under what circumstances would you use the M10 over the A7R III?

Also, came across this: http://cameradecision.com/compare/Leica-M10-vs-Sony-Alpha-A7R-III

Thought there was some humour to it.

Hi I have an m10 and been thinking about the same, mostly for when i get payed assignments.... I recently rented one and decided to give it a try for street also, files are incredible, yes better than the leica, you can push them and do whatever you want without any issues. Also battery life is much much better. I will say that as an imaging tool is much better than the leica, and will actually complement it quite well. You may ask, why do I prefer the leica than the sony considering all written above? Well... very easy, handling and enjoyment of the photo process. The Sony still feels horrible, at least to me, is like a computer. Yes its fast, its responsive, eye autofocus is amazing, etc., etc... (a world of difference from the previous models, i used to have an a7ii lasted 2 months), but still the camera that gives me joy to shoot is the leica, thats why i am also considering the sony. This way i ca have the leica for the pleasure of shooting, and the Sony when i have a pay assignment in which i cannt take any risks....

Below images taken with the Leica and Sony, mixed together. After some photoshop :) you cant really tell which camer shot which...

20181110-L1001954 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

20181111-DSC02444 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

20181110-L1002053 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

20181110-L1002020 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

20181111-DSC02586 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

20181103-L1001325 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

20181111-DSC02526 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

20181111-DSC02499 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

20181110-L1001979 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

20181103-L1001290 by Alejandro Ilukewitsch, on Flickr

• Like 2

On 3/18/2018 at 12:41 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

42/24 times the detail, in fact.

A 42M sensor has 75% more pixels compared to a 24M sensor. If both have the same aspect ratio,  the difference in the number of horizontal or vertical pixels, i.e. the difference in resolution, is approx. 33%. 

Edited by mujk
  • Like 1

Once upon a time, I planned to buy a Sony A model to mount my leica SEM 21mm. I gave it up this idea finally because it is said that the SEM does not produce image properly on the Sony A models. Leica M remains at its core: less is more, yet enough. Sony A models pursue advanced technologies, e.g., high resolution and auto controls. They are great. Some times, some photographers may feel that it is more than enough. It is a good idea that you may take both out and use either of them as needed. 

I choose to shoot both. M10 and A7r3 with some extremes between the two make for an interesting duo!  

1. You will get the shot. Even at the widest apertures while the subject is jumping, dancing, spinning. Full stop. Sony AF is spot on. Eye AF is already incredible and about to get even better with AI enhanced firmware coming next month. Top shelf, high-performance glass to match the cameras AF and FPS abilities make for a very, very good system and getting better all the time. Sony has invested a significant amount of resources on their feverish climb to the top of the camera industry. You can count on Sony to always leapfrog their previous year's accomplishments. 

2. A classic! An enthusiast dream camera. Leica M10 presents a seamless and unique experience between old-world Rangefinder and new-word high tech. Leica created a marvel in their almost hidden application of high tech in the M10. With that said, low tech RF and Zone focusing success is never a guarantee but Leica lenses make this more fun than work, so when you do get the shot and get better and better at getting the shot, the level of satisfaction can be very high. Leica M10 begs for practice, practice and more practice so if you enjoy a good challenge the M10 is a worthy endeavor. Legendary small, compact M lenses are just a joy to own and use. Oh and the Leica Fotos app is probably one of the best camera mobile apps out there. Another example of Leica's prowess when it comes to the seamless application of modern-day tech in an ancient system. 

Edited by LBJ2

I never thought about the satisfaction after taking the picture. And it's true! I have a Sony a6500. It is not in the top of Sony cameras but it has a lot of features like Eye-AF. The camera is supposed to nail the picture every time, and that's it. It does. But with the M10 I am the one who is supposed to nail the picture. I feel being the photographer. I never thought about it but it's so true!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I started with a Sony after a medical situation made my gigantic Nikon equipment (D4) unusable. The a7riii had too many buttons, dials, joysticks, menus and submenues for my taste (and I qualified as pilot in command of 7 different aircraft, both fixed and rotary wing). The Sony felt like work. I really like my M10 with manual lenses. Feels like a cherished hobby. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb 0luke1:

The Sony felt like work. I really like my M10 with manual lenses. Feels like a cherished hobby. 

+1. Complexity leads to stress and anxiety. Something Japanese camera manufacturers either don’t care about or think is offset by the functionality and flexibility of the system. Even if the α7R II/III sensor is still the best for low light performance today (try ISO 3200 and above with either the 55 FE Sonnar, the APO 50 Summicron or the 50 Noctilux stopped down a bit), Sony packs it in a tiny box with IBIS and tons of buttons. They don’t even care if heat generated by the processor for IBIS degrades the performance of that sensor. On the buttons, granted, they are customizable and one can reduce their usage to only what’s necessary. So, it doesn’t inhibit one from operating the camera fluidly, but just their presence coupled with little wheels and a tiny joystick is a turn-off for some users. Plus, the M10 sensor performs so well at ISO 200-640 that the Sony is not worth the hassle in most cases for me.

On 3/7/2019 at 11:30 AM, Chaemono said:

The processing power for IBIS in the tiny α7R III body generates heat that degrades the IQ. M10 performance at ISO 200-640 is better. I much prefer the M10. 

On 3/8/2019 at 10:06 AM, Simone_DF said:

Do you have any link with tests regarding this? Because so far I've seen only the opposite.

@Chaemono, any reliable data specific to the A7r III to support your statement "The processing power for IBIS in the tiny α7R III body generates heat that degrades the IQ" ?

• Thanks 1