Question about long video sequences

scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use Sony UHS-II 100MB/sec write speed cards from Adorama. They are $99 for 128GB. For ProResHQ you need 95MB/sec speed, so these cards are just fine.

You can use slower  UHS-I 90MB/sec write speed cards that has gotten markedly cheaper now if you sacrifice quality a little and record in ProRes LT, still 10-bit, still 4:2:2

BTW, Lexar 1000x UHS-II cards are no good for ProResHQ, as their write speed is just below 95MB/sec

I find Blackmagic's solution to use SD cards a bit premature, but elegant. I'm sure, next year we will have 256GB cards for under $100, and 500GB is enough for roughly an hour and twenty minutes of 4K at 24fps.

• Like 1

Irakly,

I was just checking out the specs on the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K and see that it uses SD cards for recording. Seems an odd (and expensive choice). In order to get 4K recording, you have to use UHS-II cards. The only "normal" brand cards I could find in high capacity are the Lexar 1000x UHS-II cards. The 256GB card is about $280 USD each. For 1TB of storage, you'll be spending over $1,100 USD. The PIX-E series uses a $60 enclosure and you load it up with whatever mSTA SSD you want. I use the Samsung EVO 860 in 1TB size, for $329 USD. And being a USB 3.0 enclosure with a legit SSD inside, you're getting sustained read/transfer speeds to your computer of 550 MB/s. Even the fastest card readers are limited to around 200 MB/s, with most running much slower than this. I'm not trying to nitpick here. Blackmagic makes some really good stuff. It's just an odd choice - one which costs the user time and money, both factors compounding the more you shoot. 

To give some of the new video shooters here an idea of how much space you might need for 4K DCI ProRes 422 footage, I'll list a few recent video projects with finished run times and how much footage was captured:

Oberwerth Kate Bag review:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=sV--9slHIek

10:26 finished run time

436 GB of footage

Scripted. Shot in studio, with location shooting, B-roll, and location pick up shots

28mm Summaron in Little Havana:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ryBtnQZfUvs

8:14 finished run time

358 GB of footage

Unscripted. Shot documentary style on location, B-roll on location, 

CL Unboxing and Overview:

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=txEwe6Qx5Fc

26:50 finished run time

685 GB of footage

Unscripted (regrettably). Shot in studio, some B-roll 

There seem to be several tradeoffs here.  Shooting to HDMI permits saving in 4K 422 ProRes, which runs about 5-10 GB/min, while shooting in-camera with an AVC codec, still at C4K produces about 750 MB/min, so I can safely go over an hour on a 64GB UHS II SD card, of which I already have many.  To get the higher quality of eternal recording requires more storage and fast SD cards at roughly 1$/GB cost more than external SSD drives (cited at $0.33/GB) but the minimum expense for one TB is higher than reuse of 128 to 256GB SD cards.  I'm actually saving the raw shots onto 4TB WD Passport USB drives, which cost about $0.025/GB.  (Pros prefer the ruggedized Lacie equivalent, which costs about twice as much.)  I wonder if the prices of SD cards will fall enough faster than SD SATA disks, so that the difference will go away in the nest year or two.

Anyway, I'm still messing around and postponing some of these decisions.  But David's results do look great.  (The links above don't work at the moment, but they can be found at the RedDotForum blog.)

Oops. My bad with the links. Copying links from within your own YouTube account apparently takes you to an edit page.

Here are the correct links:

Oberwerth Kate Bag Review:

28mm Summaron in Little Havana:

CL Unboxing and Overview:

I should also add that on the back end of production, I back up all my footage and project files to an 8-bay Synology NAS, which is currently populated with 4TB WD Red drives and set up as a SHR2 (striped RAID with fault tolerance for two failed drives), netting me around 20TB of archive space. If I was starting to populate the array now, I'd probably opt for 6TB drives (currently seems like best bang for the buck), netting about 35TB of usable space. I'd caution using portable 2.5" drives for backup, Lacie or otherwise. These are not built for longevity and have no redundancy. 

As a backup for my archive, I use Dropbox for Business Unlimited. The Synology software has the ability to automatically backup to cloud services like Drobpox and Amazon S3.

Oops. My bad with the links. Copying links from within your own YouTube account apparently takes you to an edit page.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...