Recommend ZEISS 35mm f1.4 DISTAGON T* ZM?

B-A-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Nowadays a good optical correction goes along with a certain size (more elements, more groups). Examples are the Otus family, the Voigtländer Macro APO Lanthar 65mm (E mount) or the 50mm Summilux SL.

SNIP BY ME

To sum up: High optical performance comes at a price, namely size and weight.

I would be interested in your comments on the Summicron f2 50mm APO which seems to be an exception from these limitations, other than than the rather large cost elephant sitting in the room in that corner over there  ;)

• 4 months later...

I’ve previous owned both the Distagon and the Lux FLE. Overall, I like the FLE better mainly on account of its handling and more appealing bokeh, but I’ve just repurchased the Distagon due to its value and the fact that I also own the 35mm f/2.5 Summarit, which is far smaller and lighter than any f/1.4 35mm lens and is my first choice when size and weight matter.

• 4 months later...

Still their rec, just received -

"Thanks for your inquiry.
With the Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM, we recommend to use one of the manual lens profile settings:
28 f/2 ASPH. 11604
or
28 f/2.8 ASPH. 11606

Please do your own tests to find out the best setting for your applications.
We do not recommend to try any self-coding (6bit coding) on the lens."

Edited by astrostl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, astrostl said:

Now........when you get it...........tighten the screws down across from each other instead of around in a circle. When you are all done loosen the screws a couple of turns and re-tighten as equally as you can withought overtightening. Use a nice flat black and white paint and fill the pits until flat with the mount.

These flanges work fine with a little care during installation.

• Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I used the ZM 1,4/35 for 18 months before eventually trading against a used 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE. The Zeiss is a great lens with superb rendering, but the combination of the size (finder blockage and also the filter size) and a rather stiff focus ring lead to the change.

The Summilux has very very similar image quality - the main difference being the Leica's slightly wavy plane of focus. Handling of the Summilux is significantly better on M bodies, but if shooting an SL or similar the Zeiss almost certainly the better choice.

Lastly, when comparing size, be sure to allow for some kind of lens hood. Flare resistance is quite good in the Zeiss, but if it happens with a filter fitted the effect can be very invasive (as with most lenses that use a concave front element).

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I currently own a Zeiss C-Biogon f/2.8, which I love, but I am currently testing a used copy of the Zeiss Distagon 35mm f1.4 ZM.  I recently captured this image at Notre Dame.  I absolutely love the rendering,I am likely going to purchase, though I do want to test the Summilux to compare.  As an FYI, I'm not that bothered by the blockage, but I recognize I shot without a hood.

ND

On 4/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, jonnyboy said:

I just had a look....mmm, Calumet always had a bit of a pricey second hand - it's not far off from retail price, I was looking to spend around 1400

I live in London and I'm thinking to sell if you're interested

• Like 1