A lightweight 90

Julian H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Confused. The S/no on your pictured lens is 1976, the Minolta CLE came out in 1980? Surely the Minolta for the CLE looks like my posted photo?

It does. What i posted above is a photo of the M-Rokkor for Minolta CL (seventies), not CLE (eighties). 

• Like 1

Hi Julian  --  I can only confirm Ict's view (and I think I have or had any 90 with M-mount): go for the Rokkor 4/90. Its performance is extremely close to the Macro-Elmar-M - which is really state-of-the-art, but much more expensive.

Stay away from the Tele-Elmarit: Its small, but the flare issues require too much attention in order to avoid significant frustration.

And taking pictures should not be about working around deficiencies of the equipment.

Consider the Elmarit-M or Summarit in case you really need the 2.8

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for putting me right chaps. I am aiming towards the M-Rokkor. I think it fits the bill quite nicely, price, weight, size and I am sure performance.  :)  F4 is just fine for this sort of requirement although I may complement it with a later Elmarit at some point in the future.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers, Julian

Today I have had a look at a fat TE, an Elmarit and Apo-Lanthar and M-Rokkor. The first too were too big/weighty, the Apo-Lanthar didn’t appeal (not sure why, I am delighted with my other Voightlander lenses) but my heart went with the M-Rokkor so I snagged it there and then and can’t wait to try it out.

Thankyou for all the advice/guidance, it is much appreciated

I was searching for possible locations for a fashion shoot. I had my Summaron 28mm and the Tele-Elmarit "Fat" version with me. I have no problems with the "lack of sharpness" of the TE. It's a great little lens. The M9 with Summaron in one pocket, the TE in the other pocket... for me it's a winning combination!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/13/2018 at 2:09 AM, lct said:

This is it: M-Rokkor 90/4 for Minolta CLE. The M-Rokkor 90/4 for Minolta CL has the same design as the Elmar-C 90/4 and a « MADE BY LEITZ » engraving on the front ring (pic). Happy snaps

Mr. Ict, I know you have many 90s and maybe you can help me. I found this 90/4 Rokkor on line: https://www.leicashop.com/classic/at/en/lcc/Leica-M-Rokkor-4-90mm/29543-11

Is this the CL version (of the 70s)? Do you know the differences between CL and CLE version?

I just want a great all-around affordable 90. Not needed a fast lens f4 is fine. There are many 90s on sale, with all prices range. If not a Rokkor, I guess the smartest option is the "Thin" version (11800), right?

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Mr. Ict, I know you have many 90s and maybe you can help me. I found this 90/4 Rokkor on line: https://www.leicashop.com/classic/at/en/lcc/Leica-M-Rokkor-4-90mm/29543-11

Is this the CL version (of the 70s)? Do you know the differences between CL and CLE version?

I just want a great all-around affordable 90. Not needed a fast lens f4 is fine. There are many 90s on sale, with all prices range. If not a Rokkor, I guess the smartest option is the "Thin" version (11800), right?

Thank you!

Hi Mr. Dennis ;). It is a Rokkor v1 for Leica CL ("Made my Leitz"). Just a clone to the Elmar-C 90/4. I own the later and a Rokkor v2 for Minota CLE. Both very good lenses but i prefer the Rokkor v2 for its better flare protection. The "thin" Tele-Emarit 90/2.8 is a f/2.8 lens as sharp as the laters but with more flare than the Elmar-C. Especially when strong light sources are just outside the frame. Not a problem with mirrorless cameras but with rangefinders i would prefer the Rokkor v2, if f/4 is not a deal breaker, provided i can check its calibration. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

Hi Mr. Dennis ;). It is a Rokkor v1 for Leica CL ("Made my Leitz"). Just a clone to the Elmar-C 90/4.

Thank you! It's important to know which lens one may buy 🙂 Is there much difference between v1 and v2? I guess if I find more info/eviews of the Elmar-C, they serve me as if they were the Rokkor ... 

Edited by Dennis

The Minolta M-Rokkor for the CLE uses the identical glass construction/optical formula as the Leitz-Minoltas for the CL.

The external construction is slightly different in the proportion of the lens barrel devoted to: the aperture ring, the focus ring, and the "gripping base" for mounting/unmounting (which is wider in grip for the Minolta, but thinner front-to-back). And of course the engraving - Minolta M-Rokkor is engraved "Made in Japan."

Here are comparison images (of, not by, the lenses).

https://www.collectcamera.com/en-us/products/product/elmar-c-4-0-90mm-3399

https://lens-db.com/minolta-m-rokkor-90mm-f4-cle-1980/

Here is a review of the M-Rokkor: https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-minolta-m-rokkor-90mm-4-0/

As lct says, seems to do fairly well regarding flare. Probably 7-years more advanced coatings.

• Thanks 2

Regarding flare of Elmar-C 90/4, it can be avoided or reduced by cupping a hand around the lens. Easier to do with a TTL than a RF camera but less of an issue for pro photogs like Andy and Dennis i guess. See snaps below. Elmar-C 90/4 on Leica digital CL, f/4, stock rubber hood on, with and w/o my left hand cupped around the lens. Light source was a halogen lamp outside of the frame. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

I have no experience with 90s, Now I'm probably looking for to buy of these two lenses:

https://www.leicashop.com/classic/at/en/lcc/Leica-M-Rokkor-4-90mm/29543-11

https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/m-lenses/17261-leica-elmarit-90mm-f28-m.html

For street, landscape, details.. And of course documentary.

Rokkor, small and light, with pretty good performance. Nothing wow.

Elmarit, heavier and bigger, but a better overall lens. Right?

Or I just wait the new CV 90 APO to be in stock

🤔

41 minutes ago, lct said:

Easier to do with a TTL than a RF camera but less of an issue for pro photogs

I use this technique when is necessary. I did recently with a 35/1.2 III in an harsh condition .. and 33% of the photos had my fingers on the frame haha.

• Haha 1

90 Rokkor or Elmarit, this is the question!

On 3/16/2018 at 12:06 AM, Julian H said:

Hi

Thanks for putting me right chaps. I am aiming towards the M-Rokkor. I think it fits the bill quite nicely, price, weight, size and I am sure performance. 

F4 is just fine for this sort of requirement although I may complement it with a later Elmarit at some point in the future.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers, Julian

By the way, how is your long term opinion about the 90 Rokkor. Do you still have (love) it?

6 hours ago, Dennis said:

Thank you!

Hey Dennis.  

The CL version says “made by leitz” on the ring around the glass (like this one) and the minolta cle one simply says “minolta” as the partnership with Leica had ended by the time they produced the CLE 

It can be assumed the cle one has updated / more modern coatings and is great. Can be found on the large auction site for USD250-300 

I love mine !

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dennis said:

Just a word of caution - the Elmarit f/2.8 you link to at reddot is an extremely good lens. The most advanced f/2.8 90mm ever (made up until 2006 or so, when the Summarit f/2.5 replaced it).

But at 410g, it may not qualify for the title of this thread: "A lightweight 90" ;)

Compared to its predecessors, and the f/4 versions. Which fall into the range of 225g to 350g (but mostly < 300g).

Just in passing - and not to steer anyone away from classic Leica glass - but Voigtländer just released a 90mm f/2.8 APO-Skopar in M-mount that tips the scales at 240-250g. Thanks to many aluminum parts.

So new it is still mostly in "waiting list" status, but the handful of reviews and deliveries so far make it look like it could be the "Elmarit-M reborn" at a much lighter weight (but with separate lens hood).

Edited by adan
  • Like 1