Media type for Photo Rag on Epson P800

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to the Hahnemuhle website the recommended media type  to select in the print dialogue should be velvet fine art (for Matt Fine art Photo Rah smooth)

Velvet fine art is also shown on Epson's p800 documentation.

But, this media type does not appear in my print dialogue. 

How do I install more media types for the P800?

Thanks in advance.

One gotcha with the Epson printer is using the AirPrint driver instead of the full driver. The AirPrint driver seems to be used by default and has a very limited functionality. Check the driver in use and if it’s this one install another printer with the correct driver.

Have you downloaded the Hahnemuhle ICC profile for this paper?

Just deleted printer and reinstalled after installing latest driver. I have no indication which driver is being selected.

Yes I have downloaded the icc profile and can select it in lightroom. I think I still need to pick a correct media type because the results look terrible. Ie like if you print on ordinary cheap paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. Done it. I had the new drivers installed but weren't using them. I assumed this would be automatic when I add printer again. It still defaults to the apple AirPrint driver. I found the option and was able to choose the Epson driver instead.

Now I have a whole host of new options including Velvet fine art media type. Yey.

• Like 1

All I need to do now is figure out why 'Velvet fine art' is greyed out even when I select the P800 ICC for velvet fine art!

Go into the page setup and see if you’ve selected US Letter (Fine Art), not US Letter (or similar depending on paper size).

Better yet, buy ImagePrint 10 and never have to worry about all this crap....bypass the Epson driver... the software automatically optimizes all settings and provides superb profiles (and continuous softproofing) for virtually all papers.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

Agree Mike. Each person needs to make a value judgment, but many aren’t aware of the product, let alone the benefits, so I put in a good word now and then, especially on threads like these that could be avoided altogether.

I used to spend as much or more on film, darkroom equipment and materials than I do now printing digitally. And IP costs about half of what I would otherwise invest in custom profiling gear alone... the other benefits are a bonus.

Sadly, most don’t even print anymore. That remains my end goal, and IP is one of my my helpful tools.

Jeff

Go into the page setup and see if you’ve selected US Letter (Fine Art), not US Letter (or similar depending on paper size).

Better yet, buy ImagePrint 10 and never have to worry about all this crap....bypass the Epson driver... the software automatically optimizes all settings and provides superb profiles (and continuous softproofing) for virtually all papers.

Jeff

Yes that's it - thank you!