Review of both the SL75mm and SL90mm

Andrew Gough

Andrew, great pics. Did you try manual focus with this lens? Leica's literature says that instead of a mechanical linkage, the lens uses magnetic sensors in the manual-focus ring to drive the AF motors that in turn move the focusing group. I 'm curious about how smooth the MF is.

• Like 1

Andrew, great pics. Did you try manual focus with this lens? Leica's literature says that instead of a mechanical linkage, the lens uses magnetic sensors in the manual-focus ring to drive the AF motors that in turn move the focusing group. I 'm curious about how smooth the MF is.

It is smooth, just like on SL zooms. The only problem, just like with the zooms, there are no hard stops. 

I have both the SL75 and 90 on order from a Leica dealer here in the USA, and they have been on order for a few months.  The dealer cannot give me an ETA on either one of them, and he stated that he has received only one 75.  It seems that some of my friends in other parts of the world are able to locate these lenses.  Does anyone know where I may be able to purchase either of them - the 75 or the 90?

Thanks,

Robert

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have both the SL75 and 90 on order from a Leica dealer here in the USA, and they have been on order for a few months.  The dealer cannot give me an ETA on either one of them, and he stated that he has received only one 75.  It seems that some of my friends in other parts of the world are able to locate these lenses.  Does anyone know where I may be able to purchase either of them - the 75 or the 90?

Thanks,

Robert

Leica shop in Vienna have listed both in stock on Friday March 9.

You dont pay 20% VAT for export but unsure about If there is import duty in your country.

They send by courier FOC for such lens.

Happy shopping.

Benedict

Singapore

• Like 1

I have complete my review of the 75mm as well as the 90mm. Both reviews can be accessed here:

http://www.aphotovid.com/display/blog/

Thanks Andrew

Andrew, thank you very much for putting the reviews together. The pictures really do look great from every aspect. I'd be curious how little/much you have adjusted in development, especially for shadows, clarity and sharpening. From my experience with the SL 24-90 I expect not a lot, but if you are willing to share the info it will help me form a more rounded picture.

Also, from a usability perspective, can you see e.g. the 35mm (eventually) and 75mm as a genuine street photography set? Or does the package simply become too big and heavy to cart around?

Andrew, thank you very much for putting the reviews together. The pictures really do look great from every aspect. I'd be curious how little/much you have adjusted in development, especially for shadows, clarity and sharpening. From my experience with the SL 24-90 I expect not a lot, but if you are willing to share the info it will help me form a more rounded picture.

Also, from a usability perspective, can you see e.g. the 35mm (eventually) and 75mm as a genuine street photography set? Or does the package simply become too big and heavy to cart around?

The 75 is a perfect fit in size and weight for the SL and a noticeably lighter and more compact package for carrying about ..... and the 35 in a bag would not be a issue I would have thought.

I tend to sharpen detail a lot in LR (but with 50+ of masking) and it is very noticeable that images from the 75 are so inherently sharp that processing makes almost no difference  :huh: ....... and the effect is noticeable even through the EVF when you review photos. 

here's a rather boring unprocessed example at f2 from the dull and rainy Isle of Arran last week (and through a window) ..... iso 50, f2, 1/80 sec, hand held. 

ps........ the swamp in the foreground is meant to be a golf course ......  :wacko:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 4

100% crop - default unprocessed image in LR (some ? moire on the tiles on the left)

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

the same with a bit of contrast and a bit more sharpening than the LR default .... possibly just past the limit before artefacts start to be apparent ..... (40 in LR)

I find it remarkable that you can make out the folds in the curtains and the actual mesh of the chain-link deer fencing behind the cottage......  :mellow:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 5

Thanks for posting.

I fully agree with your comments about the perfect handling now on the SL. The new SL Summicrons look and feel very very different (size, weight) to the chunky SL 50mm 1.4.

The 75mm SL Summicron is also above any lens I’ve previously tried in terms of resolution and rendering (I tripod mounted and shot the SL 75mm at base ISO, and made large Lambda prints) ...... and this is acknowledging that i own the M 50mm APO as my source for comparison .....

All in all, I concluded there is such a difference that I’m currently selling my M system to move to the SL + SL Summicrons ...... my guess is my perception of the IQ difference between M and SL will expand, given i see the SL as a better option for Leica to boost megapixels compared to the M.

• Like 3

the same with a bit of contrast and a bit more sharpening than the LR default .... possibly just past the limit before artefacts start to be apparent ..... (40 in LR)

L1312276-3.jpg

I find it remarkable that you can make out the folds in the curtains and the actual mesh of the chain-link deer fencing behind the cottage...... :mellow:

Impressive. Any experience with the 90-SL (as well...)?

• Like 1

as a 'poor pensioner' I have 'passed' on the 90 and am waiting for the 16-35 zoom...... and I prefer 75 to 90 anyway ....

Thanks. Both 75 and 90 SLs are possibly a little overkill for many/most, particularly since the two existing zooms (essentially) cover the 75-90mm focal lengths.

And I agree, it will be interesting to see what the 16-35mm will deliver. Or will it? - anything less than outstanding would be a big surprise...

Interesting times, also regarding what the SL lenses will deliver on a high-res sensor.