Does the CL2 need a second programmable button (Fn2)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the moment I have the function button set as standard to switch between my six saved profiles and I would like to leave it at that. I like to be able to lock exposure without locking focus, which on my SL is set to the lower front button. I may alternatively, want to lock focus with a half shutter press, without locking exposure. Unless I am missing something, there is no way on the CL to have functions which can lock exposure and focus separately.

On the assumption that at some point Leica will bring out an OIS telephoto zoom, others might want to set up a "Tele" profile, like I currently have a "Wide" profile for the 11-23 lens, where they might assign the Fn2 button to OIS off/on for use on a tripod. I used to have the VF button on my SL before I sold the 90-280SL lens, set to switch this on and off with a short press. 

I appreciate that Leica tried to make the controls as minimalistic as is feasible on the CL and I think they did a good job but maybe just one button too few. I do wonder if it might be possible in Firmware on the current CL to change the left hand top roller centre button to dual functions, like the right hand roller button. You could have a short press for exposure lock and a long press for the current function of select shooting mode (A, P, M, S, Auto & Movie). 

Wilson

I actually love the minimalism of the TL2 with its two wheels... no (more) programmable function buttons needed for me...

Edited by JorisV

Nor for me - the controls work perfectly for me. I don't even bother to set up more than a couple of user profiles. Actually, the building of user profiles is the way to change the settings of the camera. No fiddling with buttons, but preset your preferences.

Nor for me - the controls work perfectly for me. I don't even bother to set up more than a couple of user profiles. Actually, the building of user profiles is the way to change the settings of the camera. No fiddling with buttons, but preset your preferences.

Jaap, 

Changing profiles does not work for separation of focus and exposure lock. Much too fiddly to do when you are taking photos. I too missed the joystick until I got into the habit of using the touch screen, where a double tap anywhere in the screen, re-centres the focus point. 

Wilson

That is right, but the separation of focus and exposure, at least the way I use it, is by the left wheel exposure compensation, which I use quite often. I never used exposure compensation on any camera before, but the ability to do so on the fly whilst seeing the histogram works well for me.

AFAIK, no. I find the aperture change direction counter-intuitive. It is just something one will have to get use to, I guess. Like pushing the gear selector forward to get into reverse on an automatic car.

.....so I have two problems to get used to now:

1) Aperture Wheel rotating the wrong way

2) Gear lever on my new car being push forwards for reverse and push a button at the back of the lever for park

Wilson

• Like 2