M10 brasses quickly?

Reciprocity

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would doubt the undercoat is pure zinc. Firstly chrome adheres poorly to zinc and where plating is done on zinc or Zamac die-castings, these are normally copper plated, then nickel and only finally chrome. Secondly, pure zinc is quite a soft metal, with poor wearing qualities.

I suspect what Leica may use underneath the black chrome, is a nickel-zinc alloy electroplated layer. My 2002 M7, also shows this grey material at wear points. The M7 definitely uses a brass top plate unlike the zinc die-cast plate on at least some of the M6 cameras. For those who want more detail on nickel-zinc alloy plating look here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0257897215300815.

The main reason to plate with pure zinc, is corrosion protection on iron/steel, galvanising, where the zinc provides electrolytic protection against oxidation of the iron. As the top plate is not steel, there is no reason to plate with pure zinc. 

Wilson

Is this 3M tape?

It is not. It is just a roll of probably similar stuff. It is about 5" wide and 6' long when I bought it several years ago. I used it on one vehicle that needed it. It sat in my garage for many years and it is still very adherent to surfaces, hence its outdoor commercial use. 

• Like 1

The easiest place to order this tape from may be motorsport suppliers like Merlin Motorsport https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/advance-at27-translucent-pvc-tape-tt-hel . I use it to protect the rear wheel arches on my 1977 Porsche 911 RSR rally car from stone chips on gravel roads. It is very tough and difficult to remove when you need to replace it. I have to use a hot air gun to soften the adhesive. 

Wilson

Here is the tape I am using, it is clear and you peel off the back to stick to a clean surface. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Get the B Strap made by Harry Benz. 

He designed it in such a way that the leather prevents the steel rings from causing wear on the camera body:  https://www.harrybenz.com/shop/

I have used a B Strap for three years on my M-P 240 and it works as Harry intended.

I do not think it is the steel rings causing wear. Since there are not plastic tabs on the M10 body like most all since the M6, anything will cause some wear. I was told that there was not enough room in the M10 body to install the plastic tabs as they attach through to the inside. Not sure if that is correct or not.

There's a certain humor to be found in the fact that there is a thread about the look of the camera itself (when did a brassed Leica ever cease to function properly because of this?) - but when it comes to discussing the actual image that the camera outputs (the reason for the existence of the camera...at least we assume it is this?) there is heated debate and constant assertions about why relatively inferior quality shouldn't be a problem. 

Edited by pgh

There's a certain humor to be found in the fact that there is a thread about the look of the camera itself (when did a brassed Leica ever cease to function properly because of this?) - but when it comes to discussing the actual image that the camera outputs (the reason for the existence of the camera...at least we assume it is this?) there is heated debate and constant assertions about why relatively inferior quality shouldn't be a problem. 

Relatively inferior image quality?  Compared to what and decided upon by whom?

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1

Relatively inferior image quality?  Compared to what and decided upon by whom?

I've addressed this at length in the other forums. Compared to many other current FF frame offerings in regards to exposure latitude and total resolution. It's not really debatable to me, unless we want engage in Trumpian logic, something about 24 being bigger than 42 or something? "Relatively inferior" is not an indication that the Leica sensor is inferior as a whole - just when compared to other current similar cameras. Anyways - I didn't make this post to debate that point - that is settled (or not) in the other threads.

I just thought it funny that the image of the camera itself (that has no practical meaning) is a point of contention while the images that the camera produces seems to have much more inflexible opinions behind it in the other threads. 

Edited by pgh

I just thought it funny that the image of the camera itself (that has no practical meaning) is a point of contention while the images that the camera produces seems to have much more inflexible opinions behind it in the other threads. 

Do you. I would have thought that the aesthetics of the equipment would have invoked at least some debate amongst a set of visually interested people.

In the Snowdonia National Park an artist painted an image which was then put on a raft and floated out on a lake for all to see. Interesting painting in a beautiful location. But the raft was a Heath Robinson contraption with the aesthetics of a dog's dinner. This puzzles me. Why are we interested n imagery but not some areas of visual impact? I have to admit that my cameras are far from mint so I'm not a good one to talk. But the separation intrigues me.

• Like 1

I've addressed this at length in the other forums. Compared to many other current FF frame offerings in regards to exposure latitude and total resolution. It's not really debatable to me, unless we want engage in Trumpian logic, something about 24 being bigger than 42 or something? "Relatively inferior" is not an indication that the Leica sensor is inferior as a whole - just when compared to other current similar cameras. Anyways - I didn't make this post to debate that point - that is settled (or not) in the other threads.

There are no current similar cameras.

• Like 4

There are no current similar cameras.

You guys are great at tearing apart every little bit of language to avoid addressing the point at hand. If you're truly not aware of the other full frame sensors on the market I suggest you look at what the other companies are doing. 

How many rangefinders are there on the market?

This is a Leica camera. This is what is included. This is what it does. You are free to buy it or not.

And for your information I own other brands of full frame cameras.

The point at hand is Leica has a sensor designed very carefully around M lenses and captures a very very high quality image.

If you don’t like what it does write a letter to Leica instead of incessantly whining on a forum that represents a very small minority of customers. You may get better results but I doubt it.

You guys are great at tearing apart every little bit of language to avoid addressing the point at hand. If you're truly not aware of the other full frame sensors on the market I suggest you look at what the other companies are doing. 

We are quite aware of what they are NOT doing. i.e. building rangefinder cameras with a short register mount and a huge heritage of vintage lenses.

I'm sure  Leica would be delighted if you could supply the address of a sensor maker that can do better with these parameters than the current one.

A sensor on its own is not high-quality. The performance in and compliance with a complete system determines the quality. Any of these sensors you deem "better" would perform like sh*t in an M camera.

• Like 2

Speaking as a moderator now:

This thread is about brassing, paint and the M exterior. Hijacking it with a particular hobby-horse is not only discourteous to other members by diverting the thread, it is against forum rules as well.

• Like 4

I've only had my M10 a few months but I have noticed it start to develop a faint rub on the left side of the camera (from the camera strap I'm using). I actually like the look of black chrome cameras and I don't mind the silvery finish they develop over time. My M-A has been used heavily for the past two years and has hardly a mark on it. The same could not be said for my previous M240 bodies which both developed considerable paint wear by the time I sold them.

As long as the finish is worn from real use I don't really mind. I just find it a bit silly to buy or create "faux-wear" on a camera. But then I don't get the whole pre-torn jeans thing either.

• Like 1

I guess I am OCD about my personal stuff. I really take care of my camera equipment and try to protect it as best I can. If you tend to buy sell and trade as I do, it makes sense when you get rid of it. I am the same way with my vehicles and my home but I do not buy sell or trade for a home very often. The wife likes it that way.