lame

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I'm wondering wich three lens kit is the best for my Leica M240 :

- 21mm f3.4 Asph Super-Elmar,

- 35mm f2 Asph Summicron, <- would be my main lens.

- 75mm f1.4 Summilux.

or

- 28mm f2.8 Asph Elmarit, <- would be my main lens.

- 50mm f1.4 Asph Summilux,

- 90mm f2 Summicron / f2.4 Summarit.

I'm doing : Street Photography & Travel photography (80%), Landscape(15%), Portrait (5%).

I'have looked 5 pages on Flickr on each lens, and counted how many photography I liked. Here are the result :

1520417272-flickr.jpg

What would be your choice ?

Which three lens kit better suit me ?

Thank you  :) !

Edited by lame

If you peruse the wonderful photographs on this forum, you will find that any of these lenses can be used to take great street, landscape and portrait photos. There is no hard and fast rule that you have to use this lens or that. In fact there are some forumers who have more than one lens of the same focal length in their bag.

I have 15, 21, 28, 35, 50 and 90 lenses, but I only travel with one at any time.

You enjoy your trips better and you get more from your lens.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 3

Hello,

I'm wondering wich three lens kit is the best for my Leica M240 :

- 21mm f3.4 Asph Super-Elmar,

- 35mm f2 Asph Summicron, <- would be my main lens.

- 75mm f1.4 Summilux.

or

- 28mm f2.8 Asph Elmarit, <- would be my main lens.

- 50mm f1.4 Asph Summilux,

- 90mm f2 Summicron / f2.4 Summarit.

I'm doing : Street Photography & Travel photography (80%), Landscape(15%), Portrait (5%).

I'have looked 5 pages on Flickr on each lens, and counted how many photography I liked. Here are the result :

1520417272-flickr.jpg

Thank you :) !

My choice would be to build around the 35mm. I love 35mm, I see in 35mm and I feel I can make 35 can be made to look longer or wider with just a little movement of the feet or composition. 90mm is too long for me on the rangefinder (beautiful as it is).

Which one will suit you is a question only you can answer. If you don’t know which field of view you prefer to anchor on, I think you need to make that decision before adding any other lenses.

You’re not me and I’m not you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My choice is be 21/3.5, 35/1.4 & 90/2.8, but unfortunately I have no idea which three lenses would suit you ....

Asking this question here, even given your requirements, won't deliver you any sort of answer that's definitive or even useful I'm afraid. Everyone is different and will have differing preferences.

• Like 1

If it's a diverse trip, you can comfortably fit the 21 SEM, 50 APO, and 90 APO plus the M10 into a *tiny* Oberwerth Bayreuth bag with a little bit of one-time modification (see my previous post on how to do this).  The total volume is about that of a boutique (square) Kleenex box, and easy to carry virtually anywhere.  I like the diversity of this set up, which can cover a huge range of subject matter.  If night time or low-light photos are anticipated, I replace one of the APOs with the 35 lux.

• Like 1

I have no advice but just a general observatory in lenses choices.

While three lenses are OR too many OR not enough :p.

And planning a kit (by experience from my photo life) is only for now, but changing kit may be more realistic.

So the "which kit thing" has NO answer.

Just take one lens, use it a lot then a second one, and so on with time if necessary.

Learn to know best the "one lens", then another is my point.

Number of lenses has nothing to do with fine/satisfying photography life.

Arnaud

...I'm doing : Street Photography & Travel photography (80%), Landscape(15%), Portrait (5%).

In my experience, for the kinds of photography you do a 28mm and a 50mm will cover all the bases quite well.  The 50 Summilux is thought to be too heavy by some but if you pair it with the 28 Elmarit, weight is less of an issue. 

Since you do very little portrait work, use the 50mm  for portraits; that focal length will give a good accounting of itself in that role. 

The 21/3.4 is an outstanding lens for travel and landscape - it is a lens I would not travel without.  With the 21 Super Elmar and the 50 Summilux chosen, the 28 Elmarit or the 35 Summicron would fit in equally well, although they each produce their own distinctive rendering.

I would say start with the 50 Summilux, learn its attributes and what it is capable of, then add either the 28/2.8 or the 35/2.  It is important to shoot a lot with each lens so that you will learn what it is capable of, how to use it to maximum effectiveness and what to expect from it. 

If you make 1000-1500 images with a lens each month for a period of 4-6 months and really study the images, you will begin to understand that lens.  So many photographers never make a point of becoming intimately acquainted with a lens and it shows in their work. 

JMHO.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 5

As second idea...

My "kit" would be M-D plus MATE (28-35-50) and Macro-Elmar-M 4/90 (with adapter) one time.

Another time would be Monochrom plus 28mm only (that can be 5.6 Summaron/2.8 Elmarit or Summicron or why not PC Nikkor :rolleyes: if architecture planned) ...

Best kit is only a dream (but one can built many kits for different moments).

Thank you all !

I think I will start with a 28 and a 35 (used). Shoot a lot with those and build my kit around the prefered.

Excellent decision :).

Elmarit-M 28mm asph. is one of my now favorite for it's top quality from wide open and it's as light as can be without flaw.

Summicron-M 35mm asph. was my first favorite at one time (I had three in Ti/Silver/black at one time but none now, using older 35mm with character versions I , II,and IV :p).

Each one of your choice would be nice anyway.

Just learn to use it at it's best.