TL2 vs CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the TL2 and traded it in for the CL. I loved the TL2 design and interface. My preference for the CL is nothing to do with being "unable to make the leap" or because the CL was "comforting". It was almost entirely down to the built-in EVF in a body that was effectively the same size. The other factor was the much faster AF on the CL at the time of launch (for all I know the TL2 has caught up now).

I suspect many have made the choice for similar, real world practical, reasons.

My ideal would be a CL with TL2 looks and interface.

I still own the TL2 as well but otherwise +1 all the way.

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

I had the TL2 and traded it in for the CL. I loved the TL2 design and interface. My preference for the CL is nothing to do with being "unable to make the leap" or because the CL was "comforting". It was almost entirely down to the built-in EVF in a body that was effectively the same size. The other factor was the much faster AF on the CL at the time of launch (for all I know the TL2 has caught up now).

I suspect many have made the choice for similar, real world practical, reasons.

My ideal would be a CL with TL2 looks and interface.

Completely agree, I still love and use my first gen T but do wish it had a built in EVF. I know the clean design of the T series is a bit of a scared cow to some, but I'd be willing to give up some of that super chic design for a bit more usability, at least for the way I shoot. I think Leica has been putting a lot of thought into their camera controls lately and have developed some great ideas between the SL, TL, and CL. If I were to design the next gen TL (note: nobody's called me yet!), I would start to pull together the best features of the three platforms into one camera. 

Here you go! The Super T or SL mini or Leicanstein! Specifically designed to cannibalize at least three existing platforms! Cheers, jc

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

Completely agree, I still love and use my first gen T but do wish it had a built in EVF. I know the clean design of the T series is a bit of a scared cow to some, but I'd be willing to give up some of that super chic design for a bit more usability, at least for the way I shoot. I think Leica has been putting a lot of thought into their camera controls lately and have developed some great ideas between the SL, TL, and CL. If I were to design the next gen TL (note: nobody's called me yet!), I would start to pull together the best features of the three platforms into one camera. 

Here you go! The Super T or SL mini or Leicanstein! Specifically designed to cannibalize at least three existing platforms! Cheers, jc

I would go for the OLED display ;)

I use my T for interiors with the 11-23. I was thinking of getting the CL and the 18 for a walk around camera.

But on my last shoot, I brought the T's EVF along and found I really appreciated the ability to tilt the EVF up, and that is something that can not be done with the CL.  Interestingly, while the tilted up EVF was of course handy when shooting an interior and putting the camera against a back wall, I discovered it was also handy for shooting portraits. I'm 6'4" and need to get the camera lower to avoid towering over people. That means crouching, or looking down into the EVF.  I found the subjects relaxed more if I was looking down into the EFV. Sort of like the old twin lens Rollei.  Now I need a recommendation for a portrait lens on the T?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you do not mind the bulk, with AF, the SL lenses are outstanding on the T/CL line.  I have the SL 50 1.4 and it is terrific (shot below takin with it on the CL).  Otherwise, there is always the TL 35 1.4 and TL 60 2.8. Or, of course, M lenses if you want MF.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

I am changing my mind a bit since I actually handled the CL of my friend Gary.

The control of the focus spot while looking through the EVF on The CL was a plus that makes up for my earlier comment in the TL EVF being able to move 90degrees.

I am back to getting the CL. I will keep the T as a backup I guess as it’s trade-in value is low.

• 2 months later...

For me personally I prefer & really like the CL, I have a range of lenses for it 18-56/11-23/56-135/35/23 that all work great.

I love my old T so much that I had it converted to infrared and that,also, works great with my lenses.

I think they run well alongside each other as opposed to being a choice.

This is, of cause, just for my own personal taste. You have to decide what is best for you.

I am surprised he didn't mention autofocus and the difference in autofocus between the TL2 and the CL.  

Especially since he was all over the SL and it not having cutting edge autofocus.

BTW Leica, one year after the launch of the TL2 it would still be very much appreciated if you could elevate the autofocus of the TL2 to same level as the CL...  ;)

• Like 4

I am surprised he didn't mention autofocus and the difference in autofocus between the TL2 and the CL.  

Especially since he was all over the SL and it not having cutting edge autofocus.

BTW Leica, one year after the launch of the TL2 it would still be very much appreciated if you could elevate the autofocus of the TL2 to same level as the CL...  ;)

+1

• Like 1

An interesting take on CL and TL2 - it seems that he likes them both!

Rick

A long haul and what he comes up with in 45m Steve Huff delivers in a hot burst of enthusiasm in a fraction of the time. Interesting, though, that he suggests both 35 Summarit M and 35TL.