Back to Leica after too long.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Years ago, I shot with an M6/35mm f/1.4 and an R6.2 / R8 setup with some nice lenses.  My favs were the 19mm with the filters and the 28mm Tilt-shift.  I also had a Noctilux f/1.0 for my M6 that I used maybe twice – I’m just not a 50mm guy, I suppose.  It worked out well though as I sold it a few years ago for an insane price.  My go to was almost always the M6/35mm Summilux – a magical setup.

For business, we’ve been shooting Canon for years neck deep in lenses as happens.  And it serves the purpose well – service and support are excellent, and the platform is professionally reliable.

That said, I had come to realize I’m not shooting much for enjoyment anymore; loathe to drag the 5D out on the town even with some smaller lenses I tried, it just wasn’t happening for me.  It was too large and imposing.  I shot more on my iPhone which can produce a decent photo in perfect circumstances, but not for a night owl like me.

I had been looking for something small for a while, reading loads of reviews – even considering getting into the M digital range.  But when I saw the Q and read about it, it started making a lot of sense.  It seemed like a real Leica for one thing – and it is.  And, as I almost never took the 35mm/1.4 off my M6, living with one lens was what I was probably going to do anyway.  At $4K plus, I’m sure that’s the stumbling block for most buyers, but that’s the Leica world – and sometimes you do get what you pay for.

So, I finally pulled the trigger on the Q and instantly loved it.  The M-like manual focus is not only nostalgic, but also wonderfully useful.  The R-inspired “program shift” is “wow”, I remember that!  Aperture dial on the lens – like riding a bicycle.  The simplicity of it out of the box – and sure I read the manual and tweaked it up and turned on the grid and the level and all sorts of other things, and then I thought – “you’ve ruined it – that’s not how this is supposed to be”, and I put it back the way Leica had set it up.  Some say the Q has quirks, but long time Leica shooters may see them as endearing.  The touch screen and the video mode button switch, however, are probably not endearing, but no reason to balk.

The lens is like a drug – that and whatever Leica have done to the get the DNGs to look so rich; they almost need no processing at all, or they can take a lot of processing if that’s the goal.  And, in a hurry, the JPEGs are nicely rendered as well.

I also got the SF40 flash for it and, in my limited tests, it works perfectly and has some decent flexibility, although it feels cheap and flimsy – not worthy of the red dot or Leica badge or the jacked-up price. But it does work well and mates perfectly to the Q and makes way more sense than the similarly priced SF26.

Accessories I got: Sandisk 64GB card.  The Leica Q “Protector” case because otherwise I’ll bang it up.  The grip which I don’t think I’ll use, we’ll see – grip seems fine as is.  Extra Panasonic battery and charger because the Leica batteries are stupid expensive, and the Leica charger is too clunky.  Billingham Hadley Digital is on the way – an indulgence.  B+W clear nano mrc filter – may not be necessary, but seems others are doing that and I always have, so… Clear screen protector for the back and the EVF – not the matte Leica version which I tossed out, but some random supplier on Amazon.

In short, I love this camera for it’s usability and image quality.  Those who grew up as and are still “nifty 50” shooters at heart might not love the 28mm, but for a compact camera with outstanding performance and authentic Leica results, the Q is formidable and does not disappoint.

Every owner here probably knows this, but I hope this helps anyone considering the Q.

• Like 12

Welcome to our world -- which is very close to your departure point.  Q was my first Leica and will not be the last.  I just tried a M2 with 35/1.4 and felt that love as well.

With me at all times, it is small enough yet produces RAW files the equal (better?) than my full frame DSLR cameras.

I'll probably sell a lot of Canon "L" glass and give my 6D to my grandson -- then buy an M or SL.  It's just that I am totally sold on the Q size and EVF when I'm shooting as if it were an M...

We look forward to you images!

• Like 2

Years ago, I shot with an M6/35mm f/1.4 and an R6.2 / R8 setup with some nice lenses. My favs were the 19mm with the filters and the 28mm Tilt-shift. I also had a Noctilux f/1.0 for my M6 that I used maybe twice – I’m just not a 50mm guy, I suppose. It worked out well though as I sold it a few years ago for an insane price. My go to was almost always the M6/35mm Summilux – a magical setup.

For business, we’ve been shooting Canon for years neck deep in lenses as happens. And it serves the purpose well – service and support are excellent, and the platform is professionally reliable.

That said, I had come to realize I’m not shooting much for enjoyment anymore; loathe to drag the 5D out on the town even with some smaller lenses I tried, it just wasn’t happening for me. It was too large and imposing. I shot more on my iPhone which can produce a decent photo in perfect circumstances, but not for a night owl like me.

I had been looking for something small for a while, reading loads of reviews – even considering getting into the M digital range. But when I saw the Q and read about it, it started making a lot of sense. It seemed like a real Leica for one thing – and it is. And, as I almost never took the 35mm/1.4 off my M6, living with one lens was what I was probably going to do anyway. At $4K plus, I’m sure that’s the stumbling block for most buyers, but that’s the Leica world – and sometimes you do get what you pay for.

So, I finally pulled the trigger on the Q and instantly loved it. The M-like manual focus is not only nostalgic, but also wonderfully useful. The R-inspired “program shift” is “wow”, I remember that! Aperture dial on the lens – like riding a bicycle. The simplicity of it out of the box – and sure I read the manual and tweaked it up and turned on the grid and the level and all sorts of other things, and then I thought – “you’ve ruined it – that’s not how this is supposed to be”, and I put it back the way Leica had set it up. Some say the Q has quirks, but long time Leica shooters may see them as endearing. The touch screen and the video mode button switch, however, are probably not endearing, but no reason to balk.

The lens is like a drug – that and whatever Leica have done to the get the DNGs to look so rich; they almost need no processing at all, or they can take a lot of processing if that’s the goal. And, in a hurry, the JPEGs are nicely rendered as well.

I also got the SF40 flash for it and, in my limited tests, it works perfectly and has some decent flexibility, although it feels cheap and flimsy – not worthy of the red dot or Leica badge or the jacked-up price. But it does work well and mates perfectly to the Q and makes way more sense than the similarly priced SF26.

Accessories I got: Sandisk 64GB card. The Leica Q “Protector” case because otherwise I’ll bang it up. The grip which I don’t think I’ll use, we’ll see – grip seems fine as is. Extra Panasonic battery and charger because the Leica batteries are stupid expensive, and the Leica charger is too clunky. Billingham Hadley Digital is on the way – an indulgence. B+W clear nano mrc filter – may not be necessary, but seems others are doing that and I always have, so… Clear screen protector for the back and the EVF – not the matte Leica version which I tossed out, but some random supplier on Amazon.

In short, I love this camera for it’s usability and image quality. Those who grew up as and are still “nifty 50” shooters at heart might not love the 28mm, but for a compact camera with outstanding performance and authentic Leica results, the Q is formidable and does not disappoint.

Every owner here probably knows this, but I hope this helps anyone considering the Q.

Welcome home. You’ll love the Q. In fact I can already tell you do. It’s a superb, fun camera that I always want to grab first. Great travel camera too.

I still have a Canon 5D3 and a whole bunch of “L” glass. No substitute for big glass for photographing birds and wildlife.

I recommend getting a Thumbs Up. It’ll only make the overall grip even better. Otherwise, enjoy and post your photos.

• Like 1

Bullmoon, welcome to Leicaland. For me, the Leica handgrip adds vital security and adds very little to the mass.

Should you miss your 35mm, do explore EVF masking to 35mm framing. It costs nothing, you can revert to 28mm in PP, yet it allows you to crop where no alternative exists. For web or modest print sizes, it is perfect, despite the reduced file size. Think of it as a useful fallback capability.

The Q is destined to become a classic. Enjoy!

Edited by wda

Another idea for grip is the "Lim's half case" with its integral grip.  Very nicely built, very good in my huge hands.

My Q has lived in it since 2 weeks old!

Search for it on eBay

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So far grip hasn't been a problem for me and I think the protector case even helps as it extends the dip in the back and has good texture.  My default grab with any camera is hand up through the strap and around so I get one loop over my wrist - until I get the strap over my neck.  Dropping a camera is verboten and I have used this rule since I can remember: always have the strap around my neck or at least around my wrist or both - always!

I do miss cocking my thumb into the winder on the M6 - I wonder if the Thumbs Up recreates that or no?  Can't tell from the photos.  Maybe I'll look at one of those down the road.  Flipbac looks interesting too - and a low barrier to test @ $9!  But so far, all seems well out of the box for me.

I also found an interesting L-bracket / arca compatible on Amazon, "Fittest Q"- really inexpensive but nicely made for the Q that includes a front grip and allows battery and card access.  Bulks up the camera a good bit though, but handy for any serious tripod work and provides a fair amount of protection for the camera.

Edited by bullmoon

. . .

I do miss cocking my thumb into the winder on the M6 - I wonder if the Thumbs Up recreates that or no?  Can't tell from the photos.  Maybe I'll look at one of those down the road.  Flipbac looks interesting too - and a low barrier to test @ $9!  But so far, all seems well out of the box for me.

. . .

i think you will do well with the thumbs up... i find it essential on the q.    enjoy your new camera

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone. I have a very similar story. Started with Canon AE1 and A1. Bought an M6 and the 1.4 which I sold a few years later to get married. I've used Canon's since. Spool forward 20 odd years and recently a very good (and better off) friend went "all Leica"with a Q and an M10. Having now played with them both at length, I've put my name down for a Q at the London Leica store in July. It felt much more like my old M6 than the 10. Not sure why - maybe something to do with the balance. and I was amazed at how the focus "muscle memory" just popped back like I'd never been away. Anywhoo... loving the depth of knowledge and the shared passion on the boards. Looking forward to posting a few images later this year. 

Edited by MikeTaylor
  • Like 1

Years ago, I shot with an M6/35mm f/1.4 and an R6.2 / R8 setup with some nice lenses. My favs were the 19mm with the filters and the 28mm Tilt-shift. I also had a Noctilux f/1.0 for my M6 that I used maybe twice – I’m just not a 50mm guy, I suppose. It worked out well though as I sold it a few years ago for an insane price. My go to was almost always the M6/35mm Summilux – a magical setup.

For business, we’ve been shooting Canon for years neck deep in lenses as happens. And it serves the purpose well – service and support are excellent, and the platform is professionally reliable.

That said, I had come to realize I’m not shooting much for enjoyment anymore; loathe to drag the 5D out on the town even with some smaller lenses I tried, it just wasn’t happening for me. It was too large and imposing. I shot more on my iPhone which can produce a decent photo in perfect circumstances, but not for a night owl like me.

I had been looking for something small for a while, reading loads of reviews – even considering getting into the M digital range. But when I saw the Q and read about it, it started making a lot of sense. It seemed like a real Leica for one thing – and it is. And, as I almost never took the 35mm/1.4 off my M6, living with one lens was what I was probably going to do anyway. At $4K plus, I’m sure that’s the stumbling block for most buyers, but that’s the Leica world – and sometimes you do get what you pay for.

So, I finally pulled the trigger on the Q and instantly loved it. The M-like manual focus is not only nostalgic, but also wonderfully useful. The R-inspired “program shift” is “wow”, I remember that! Aperture dial on the lens – like riding a bicycle. The simplicity of it out of the box – and sure I read the manual and tweaked it up and turned on the grid and the level and all sorts of other things, and then I thought – “you’ve ruined it – that’s not how this is supposed to be”, and I put it back the way Leica had set it up. Some say the Q has quirks, but long time Leica shooters may see them as endearing. The touch screen and the video mode button switch, however, are probably not endearing, but no reason to balk.

The lens is like a drug – that and whatever Leica have done to the get the DNGs to look so rich; they almost need no processing at all, or they can take a lot of processing if that’s the goal. And, in a hurry, the JPEGs are nicely rendered as well.

Accessories I got: Sandisk 64GB card. The Leica Q “Protector” case because otherwise I’ll bang it up. The grip which I don’t think I’ll use, we’ll see – grip seems fine as is. Extra Panasonic battery and charger because the Leica batteries are stupid expensive, and the Leica charger is too clunky. Billingham Hadley Digital is on the way – an indulgence. B+W clear nano mrc filter – may not be necessary, but seems others are doing that and I always have, so… Clear screen protector for the back and the EVF – not the matte Leica version which I tossed out, but some random supplier on Amazon.

In short, I love this camera for it’s usability and image quality. Those who grew up as and are still “nifty 50” shooters at heart might not love the 28mm, but for a compact camera with outstanding performance and authentic Leica results, the Q is formidable and does not disappoint.

Early on I ordered the Arte de Mano case from Korea with the very nice grip. Also the 125 cm strap. Its pure luxury and was expensive, but everytime I pick up the camera its a delight. I added the Thumbs Up and after over two years still completely happy with my setup. Fits like an old leather glove. Perfect. The most rewarding and fun camera I’ve owned in my 60 years of amateur photography.

• Like 2