Grain on Tri X - Shot on M7/ 35mm Summarit 2.4 Advice please

If your other photos on this role are this dirty/dusty, I would take the negatives back to the developer/scanner and demand that they clean the negative and re-scan.  Although, what's weird here, is that the dust is black, which would be logical for a scan from a slide.  Dust on a negative scans as white. Anyone here have an idea how this could be? I'm curious.

• Like 1

As others have said, the grain in the sky in the OP looks fine and not "heavy" at all. Look at these classic Ralph Gibson pictures in this NY Times article: Gibson used to overexpose Tri-X and overdevelop it in Rodinal, so that the shadows would go black.

Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine

Nowhereman Instagram

Respectfully, I believe he exposed normally and printed down or under-exposed and printed to higher contrast. A trivial point, certainly.

Gibson knew what he was doing and did it well. I regret selling his first editions. I do not understand his color work, but that is my shortcoming.

Thank you for bringing up his work.

Edited by pico

Guest Nowhereman

If that's what you believe, then you don't believe what Gibson himself writes about his own work method of that time in the Ralph Gibson chapter of his Darkroom: No.1 book published by his Lustrum Press, which presents the methods of 13 photographers. He writes, "Having learned from the lithographic process I now go directly to contrasty subject matter and expose for the narrow contrast ratio I desire. I overexpose and overdevelop and, in the process, pick up grain and contrast."

Edited by Nowhereman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although the grain seems normal given what pico said, I do think that jpeg-scans from the drugstore often exaggerate the grain. I don’t think you’ll necessarly get this grain-impression that much if you’d print it wet.

• Like 1