Purchase advice 50 APO

dkmoore

Now you can obsess over making great pics and prints, not gear.

Jeff

I am moving to Philadelphia, PA at the end of the month for work. So many great photographic opportunities nearby!

I just spent a year in upstate New York (same company) and it snows and rains most of the year hence my extraordinary levels of G.A.S.

Snow = indoors for me

The problem with GAS is that it sucks you in and defies rationale and logic BUT after you have succumbed it may not be as satisfying as you hoped :(. You said that you are re-buying into Leica - think about this carefully ;). And FWIW I do have too much gear having succumbed to GAS but struggle to determine which items should be those to go to de-GAS. So far I'm one lens down and not missing it, but then a friend wanted it which is easier.

I sold my 50lux after testing the 50Apo. Now the 50Apo ist my most used lens. What I like is the rendering in the unsharp areas especially at 2.0/2.8 - very clear. I have seen this with no other lens. I pair it with the 28cron (v1), Q or 5,6/28new depending in the situation. It is true: ergonomics are not optimal, but IQ and rendering are!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yep - once thought about will always be at the back of your mind. You can try and convince yourself you don't want it, but that is the rub - want over need. 

I didn't need the 50 APO. I have a Noctilux 0.95, Summarit 1.5, V4 Summicron 2.0, Elmar M 2.8/50.  All great lenses, all good for photos.  I tried the 50 APO at the Frankfurt airport and liked the handling, not a good place to really "try it out."  My very supportive wife said "do you want it?" And I said yes, but not here and now!  Eventually, I found one at a relatively good price and purchased.  Now the V4 cron sits either in the closet, or bumps the Summarit off of the M Monochrom.  I shot exclusively with the APO last summer on a two week trip and it's the lens that's on my M9p most of the time. I have had more people remark about the photos from that trip than any other group that I have put together, even though I look back and see great work before the APO, it's definitely different.  

When I bought good golf clubs years ago, it improved my game, even though I was sure it would be only incremental, it was a big change.  I wont say that the APO improved my photography, but there has been an incremental improvement in my photographs.  I'm very pleased with it.  Try it.  You'll buy it,  maybe not here and now, but eventually!

• Like 1

I wonder if many of these posts are based on facts. And if they are based on facts then I wonder if in practice you can see any difference. That is why I prefer the 1 LV more on the Lux. We saw many examples of the Lux and of the APO. Yes there are some differences. But none of which I would say that it saved the picture. I prefer the 1.4 vs. the 2.0. If it comes to it I have doubble the amount of light available for your sensor.

Then there is the thread of the second best lens plus an additional thread of the third lens. And I own now 5 lenses! I never saw any sign that would make me buy a 50 APO. But if ever I came into a mood of just wanting to own the best then I would buy the APO. But then my gut is telling me that I should first buy shares of Leica.

Edited by Alex U.

Joking apart, I find I reach for my most compact equipment mainly. I tend to use my 50 Summicron mk5 in preference to my 50 Summilux Asph, particularly with digital, for that reason. I have found myself considering selling both to put towards the Apo. If I were solely digital, I might well have the Apo. 

Pete

I need one of those

Pete

My wife was barreeeelyyyyyy supportive of the 50 APO & 28 Cron purchase. I got the whole, "your just going to sell them or trade them whats the point?" Which by the way, is a totally reasonable question.

Had I spent an extra 3k for the LHSA she may have withheld for a year.