Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just found out that there’s some dirt inside my Summicron 35, right in the middle of the glass. I don’t know how long the tiny hair has been there. I don’t think it appears on photos, at least I have not noticed yet in the film pictures I’ve taken. I bought the lens used from an official Leica store in Italy last year and I’m going to call them.

Do you guys know what kind of options I have in cases like this? I have never seen a hair in a whatsoever lens, old or new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'd say it will worry you more than your pictures, as you've already suggested.

Any decent repair facility should be able to dismantle and clean it out, probably the store will suggest this.

Gary

I'd say it will worry you more than your pictures, as you've already suggested.

Any decent repair facility should be able to dismantle and clean it out, probably the store will suggest this.

Gary

It’s the finding a decent facility in southern Italy that worries me! I’ll see what they have to say. I’m really surprise a hair can get inside so easily.

Thanks

It’s the finding a decent facility in southern Italy that worries me! I’ll see what they have to say. I’m really surprise a hair can get inside so easily.

Thanks

It's likely that the hair has been in the lens for some time, and has recently repositioned itself. I have similar on one of my non-Leica lenses. As Gary says it once used to worry me more than my pictures.

I contacted the Leica Store and they said they’re not going to cover the cleaning because the lens was bought 11 months ago. I expected that, but it’s a little disappointing. That’s an answer I expect more from an small ebay seller than from an official store.

I was led to understand that Leica lenses are 'good' for the rain because of close mechanical tolerances and grease on moving parts which need clearance to enable them to move without binding. That being the case, how would a sizeable hair-like structure get in? More likely to be introduced during a previous service, but most unlikely during manufacture where clean room conditions exist, I'm assuming.

I was led to understand that Leica lenses are 'good' for the rain because of close mechanical tolerances and grease on moving parts which need clearance to enable them to move without binding. That being the case, how would a sizeable hair-like structure get in? More likely to be introduced during a previous service, but most unlikely during manufacture where clean room conditions exist, I'm assuming.

Yeah, I agree. I assume the Leica Store serviced the lens before selling it as used (with a 12 month warranty). Unfortunately they consider the hair as an accidental damage caused by the user (which makes me think their lenses are not good for the rain).

Because it is not possible to find the cause of the defect, I'll have to suck it up. 

An annoyance but no effect on your pictures...

Just have it removed when you do routine CLA.

You can prove this to yourself by shooting light sky at f/16 and nothing will appear....

Albert  

I doubt the lens was serviced unless there was a specific problem with it. Likewise I don't think a lens needs 'routine' CLA - I'd only have it taken apart for a problem.

As for sealing of Leica lenses, I'd guess that the hair found its way in from the rear of the lens, probably when changing or when it was on the camera (the hair may have been in the camera to start with!). I would doubt that there's any internal sealing as such. Leica say M lenses are OK in wet weather due to the lubricants in the focus/aperture ring assembly.

Just forget about it though. It won't affect the IQ at all.