fuji X-H1

frame-it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

a few quick shots at / near the shop without actually setting up the camera..just set focal length to 90, IBIS on & Auto ISO

Fuji X-H1 with Leica 90mm Summicron APO ASPH

All @F2
Fujifilm M mount Adapter

IBIS ON

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

another one..from inside the moving taxi

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

In my experience, there's a world of difference--assuming for the moment a good adapter and a lens that behaves reasonably well when adapted--between camera systems in terms of adapted lens performance.

On the Sony bodies, it has been my experience that unless you get a Kolari mod or similar (which will, in fact, degrade some elements of lens performance for native lenses), it's very hard to get results with M glass that make me feel it's worthwhile to use it adapted.

While the X-Pro1 was also disappointing (albeit in other ways) with M glass, I have found that subsequent generations of Fuji X cameras, starting with the X-Pro2, have handled M glass extremely well, certainly head and shoulders above Sony bodies. The X-H1 is probably the best yet, if only because it has a Leica SL-quality EVF, so MF is an absolute breeze.

This is nice if you're inclined to own the Fuji, since good MF lenses are nowhere to be found for the X mount. Comparison with the CL is very much apples to oranges. CL is very, very small (the X-H1 is as big as an entry-level DSLR; Fuji propaganda to the contrary is just that), and can only shoot video in auto-exposure mode/30p, whereas the X-H1 is about as good as a stills camera gets for shooting video outside of Sony, and better than Sony if your workflow allow only minimal time for grading your footage.

Which is to say the X-H1, due to size and purpose, is definitely not for anyone looking to channel Leica, albeit more cheaply and with autofocus. That is definitely best left to other cameras.

For less than the price of most M lenses the X-H1 adds image stabilisation to all of them.

In that respect, it can be a very interesting accessory to a Leica M outfit, albeit a fundamentally different camera from an M.

But not for short focal length/wide angle lenses. Most 35mm and shorter are easily outperformed (on my Xpro2, same sensor) by the Fuji lenses in terms of simple edge sharpness at any reasonable aperture, and even relatively basic slr lenses are sharper at the edges. My 50mms and above though, are excellent.

Gerry

Edited by gyoung

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My experience is very hit or miss on 35s. Some look good, some don't. Wider than 35, the wider you go, the less likely the lens will adapt in a very successful way optically. It's really lens-dependent, but I would not rely on getting good results out of anything wider than 28 (this is just my anecdotal impression).

As for territory where Fuji X lenses match M glass, well, then it becomes a question of whether you want MF or AF glass (even if it's got a focus clutch, not the same thing). Although most people here don't shoot video, even a small MF lens like the Leica glass beats an AF lens for most video applications.

And then there's the question of what you already own. The good Fuji lenses are affordable and compact, but the great Fuji lenses (16 1.4, 23 1.4, 56 1.2) are big and, by APS-C standards, not cheap.

Edited by Lonescapes

Yes, wide manual focus lenses are a problem, very hit and miss. Of mine the 28mm Ultron 1.9 is good, and I find its fov on aps-c much more useful to me than it is on full frame. The 15mm Voigtlander v1 is ok, but the 21mm/4 and 35/42.5 no good, nor is the 35mm Summicron asph.

Samyang mf seem sharp, but no idea what the rendering is like, or the construction standards.

Gerry

• 5 months later...

Is this still valid for the X-H1?

XH1 has the same sensor as my Xpro2, and also the XT2, and I doubt Fuji will change the sensor stack etc design for other models in a way that will make M wide angle lenses work better, as that would adversely affect performance with there own lenses.

Gerry