lens profile for jpegs in Lightroom?

Does it matter that Lightroom doesn't have Leica within its jpeg profiles? I'm completely new to LR, so may have missed something.

thanks.

I only shoot jpeg when the intended destination is instant upload to social media. Only jpeg can be sent to iPhone then submitted to friends.

Otherwise everything is RAW (DNG) to LR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify. I accept the possibility that at least some of the Q's jpeg can be controlled in the camera (since there are three aspects of the picture--saturation, etc-- that are controlled there). But those are also modifiable in LR as well, so I suppose the in-camera modifications are there to allow you to send the jpeg directly to social media. But the point of the DNG profile under LR "Optics" is also to correct any chromatic aberration, right? Well, if you try to do the same for the jpegs in LR, you find that most of the well known camera makers do have lens profiles, but there is none for any Leica products. That seems like a very different issue than saturation, etc.

If I am completely off base here, I certainly understand. I know nothing about post-processing. 

Just to clarify. I accept the possibility that at least some of the Q's jpeg can be controlled in the camera (since there are three aspects of the picture--saturation, etc-- that are controlled there). But those are also modifiable in LR as well, so I suppose the in-camera modifications are there to allow you to send the jpeg directly to social media. But the point of the DNG profile under LR "Optics" is also to correct any chromatic aberration, right? Well, if you try to do the same for the jpegs in LR, you find that most of the well known camera makers do have lens profiles, but there is none for any Leica products. That seems like a very different issue than saturation, etc.

If I am completely off base here, I certainly understand. I know nothing about post-processing. 

Any changes you make to the JPEG in the Q (and any other camera) do not carry over to the RAW. By its very nature the RAW/DNG is unmodified. Hence if you set black and white you see a B&W JPEG and in the EVF but the DNG is not in B&W. As to lens profiles, yes, a lot of camera manufactures have lens profiles in LR but that is not always the case - it all depends on the manufacturer since some have in built profiles which transfer across automatically.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you want to get anywhere in digital photography you need to start learning about postprocessing, and that means start shooting raw.

Stick with jpg and you are basically sending your film to Wallmart and accepting whatever prints come out at the end.

That does not mean that there is not place for jpg. If you are in a hurry or not really concerned about getting the best out of your files, jpg is a decent quick-and-dirty solution. But as soon as you start asking about lens profiles and chromatic aberration  correction, a jpg file is pretty useless.

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. I usually do shoot dng, but I find that for the most rapid street photography, shooting in jpeg has its advantages. But it was mostly a curiosity, why Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc would have jpg lens profiles on LR and Leica does not.

You didn't say if you are using Lightroom CC or standalone.  I don't use Lightroom, so I'm not familiar with the opening options and the features in the "Develop" module, which is Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) with a couple of additions.  If you have CC, you can use the full Photoshop and open jpegs in ACR from Bridge even if your file is not raw.  The profiles would be under your full control in ACR.

While the actual raw data from the camera is never modified in .dng, the edits made in a program such as Lightroom are stored in the .dng file, normally.  You can tell this happens because the date of the file changes.  The changes are fully reversible.  If you don't want the changes stored in .dng, there is an option to use a .xmp sidecar instead.  The sidecar stores all the editing changes.  You just have to be careful to keep both the .dng and .xmp files in the same directory.