About posting images here

tashley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmmm, interesting comments from everyone and shows the difference of opinions. I wonder how people who frequent the photo forum would feel if M8 users were to bastardize their forum with images flagged as coming from the M8.

I do frequent the people section and like to browse it's contents, should an image move me greatly I'd be inclined to post a comment, otherwise I keep my council.

I agree some of the images posted in the M8 forum have little or no artistic merit and are mainly "hey I got my M8 and this is my first image" others show differences in lenses or raw converters which can be interesting not as images but as examples of what differences exist.

I think what would be interesting not only for M8 owners but for all who take or process digital images would be a section, list, sub forum, call it what you will, related to digital images and how one arrived at the final result. What could be discussed here is the processing tips & tricks used for example to add grain, sharpening , local contrast enhancement, HDR and such like. Those that wish to share their processing methods may for example post the final image in the photo forum with a link in the posting back to a "sub forum" detailing the method used to achieve the image shown.

Digital opens a whole new chapter in photography unrelated to film choice or darkroom processing & printing methods I may have used in the past. I'm 100% digital now and hold up my hands and say I need to learn more, learn to think outside the box of contrast, saturation crop and sharpening and print. There are a wealth of very talented photographers here who can point you in the right direction for better composition, but I'm sure there are plenty of people here who could hold your hand and guide you to turning a mundane photo into a wonderful photo.

It's only a suggestion which may maintain the status-quo. Images in the photo forums with a linked sub-forum about how you arrived at the final result.

Peace everyone :cool:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it certainly seems that most M8 users are only interested in M8 images. Very odd!

Very odd, given that much discussion of lenses and technique takes place in the other forums too, which could be of value to you guys.

I can understand potential purchasers wanting to see the sort of images the camera produces, and use of images to illustrate problems/solutions, but why do any existing M8 users want to view other peoples M8 images anyway? Clearly its not subject matter but rather the equipment which interests you so go and make your own images to look at!!

I like viewing the photo forums to see other peoples work, regardless of which particular body/lens they used (OK it must be Leica in some part). Would you go to a gallery and ask to see only those oil paintings made with flat hoghair brushes?

lots of M8 peeps never venture outside these walls...and admit to doing so....oh well

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think it's sort of sad that this is the longest recent thread on this board.

I read and post to the non-digital forums quite regularly, but to be honest, I don't use the photo forums very much, for one simple reason: I find the threaded forum format a really inefficient way to view and discuss photos.

This may be sacrilege, but there are other Leica communities online, and I go to those for photo discussions and photo sharing. I really use this site mostly for technical purposes, since all the experts seem to be here :). I certainly don't think I've mastered the M8 digital workflow yet, and the posts on this board that include images have been helpful as I think through problems and see others do the same.

Nobody replied to Bill's suggestion to use the TAG feature of the post authoring system, but I think that's the best one yet.

I posted earlier about only using the M8 forum and one stop shopping so to speak. Its not that I don't appreciate photography from all sources because I do greatly respect the medium, its just that I do not have the time to look through all the postings. This is why I limit my time to this forum and specifically the M8 forum and appreicate the images posted there.

Well it certainly seems that most M8 users are only interested in M8 images. Very odd!

Actually, it could be just the contrary, that M8 users aren't interested in seeing 'just leica' images. The foto forum is cumbersome, and if I'm going to look at other people's photographs without reference to technicalities, then I'd rather go elsewhere. Given an infinite amount of time, then I'd love to spend some of it in the photo forums, as it is, it's hard enough to find time to spend here.

I think the oft stated notion that those who would like to see pictures here are just 'gearheads' and only interested in the M8 is both illogical and rather offensive. You could use exactly the same argument about the photo forum - only with respect to Leica in general rather than the M8 in particular. "Why would you only want to see pictures taken with a Leica" . . . . . .

i concur with Jono. My brief sojurns into the photo gallery are so slow it is ultimately not worth it to me. depsitr i'll not be posting leica M8 pics much longer i love this board and prefer M8 pics in the actual threads here.

perhaps there will be an analysis of a way to make the phot section faster/easier but..

kindly

bill vann.

health update getiing better everyday, sellin off the M8 slowly and got an oly e-510 images aren't the same but at 3lbs i have a kit i can carry with IS so everything isn't a blur because of my tremors, thanks for the continuing kind notes

bill vann

Just Leica? Well it is a Leica forum so that's the common theme, but of course many images are taken with other manufacturers lenses - I'd have thought M8 users might be interested to find out about users experience with such equipment.

I can understand someone wanting technical info/users experience of the camera, and only dipping into the M8 forum, but then why bother posting snapshots for each other too if they're not directly related to the point in question.

Images to show results from a particular lens are equally valid to film and digital users.

Anyway, this is a trivial matter in the overall scheme of things and I'm not an M8 user so I'll keep my posts to the other forums from now.

Just Leica? Well it is a Leica forum so that's the common theme, but of course many images are taken with other manufacturers lenses - I'd have thought M8 users might be interested to find out about users experience with such equipment.

I can understand someone wanting technical info/users experience of the camera, and only dipping into the M8 forum, but then why bother posting snapshots for each other too if they're not directly related to the point in question.

Images to show results from a particular lens are equally valid to film and digital users.

Anyway, this is a trivial matter in the overall scheme of things and I'm not an M8 user so I'll keep my posts to the other forums from now.

With respect this is a prime example of a common misunderstanding which perpetuates however many times people state the opposite. I for one, and I believe most people here who favour seeing images posted, do NOT only want to look at M8 photos. In fact we are so keen to get away from the gear-head mentality that we want this sub-forum to contain images as well as tech and accessory talk. However, given that the M8 is the core topic of the forum it seems reasonable that a good proportion of the images posted here should come from it. I constantly look at photos, in a large number of places and I care not a jot what they are made on. Which is why I'm not asking what you used to take 'Football's Coming Home' in your gallery, which I love.

But if you wanted to tell me I'd listen

;-)

Tim

Guest guy_mancuso

Been reading this with interest and maybe i just don't fit in on many of the responses. First i only look at the M8 forum and maybe browse a few other select sections of the forums. I do not however look in the photo forum. One is i don't have the time nor energy to do so. I post a lot and really have to stay focused on what is in my mind important to me and also to help others with regards to there gear and how to get the most out of it. Most if not all images i post are with technical information the Germany trip was somewhat a little off that because of my limitations with the internet connections and did not jump into each shot with what gear or how i did it, so that one was a little maybe outside of what i normally do otherwise it will have something related to the hardware or the software of the M8 but also if you look at the hits the Germany trip has taken , it is very apparent to me folks are more interested in stuff like that overall. With that being said i still think and again against the grain that we should post M8 images in the m8 sub-section which i also think that is misnamed but it is not my forum so i will leave that topic out of it. But folks are interested in the M8 images and not trying to pat myself on the back but when i start a thread yes it is usually popular because one it is interesting, it has photos and it tells a story . Plus there is something one can learn. i truly think folks are interested to see what a M8 can do or not do be it artistic or not. Also i don't post in the photo forum where my work will be judged, for me lets face it i will not listen to anyone unless they are truly a great photographer on the level of Irving Penn , Avedon or someone that has earned there way to the top or from paying clients but that is me others have interest in hearing from others , i do not. That is not trying to be a snob or anything like that just don't have the time for it either. My world in photography is to make money, it is my business and i just take a completely different view of this. i do take advice on other issues and appreciate anyones help there but i am not here to be judged on my work but to help others enjoy what they use and what they shoot. Like i said from the start i just look at this differently than most people. i really don't need to be here to make money or learn so much, although I do but i am here to enjoy others and help them. My take is every Pro should give something back to what made them successful in the market and not to look down on others with snide comments or make them feel any less of a shooter but to help them grow. If you notice i never ever tear anyone down and never talk down to them in a normal conversation and i don't think any Pro should. i admit i have my moments if i am being challenged or something like that from the peanut gallery but overall this is a nice forum where folks want to help one another and maybe the real reason i am here.

But truthfully, what is the point then of subdividing fora into different sections?

Not everyone wants to be part of the thread-fest that is the M8 forum.

This is precisely the reason why the M8 forum was moved out of the Digital forum a couple of months ago.

I for one, and I believe most people here who favour seeing images posted, do NOT only want to look at M8 photos. In fact we are so keen to get away from the gear-head mentality that we want this sub-forum to contain images as well as tech and accessory talk

In that case let's put ALL shots in the M8 forum and have done with it, regardless of the equipment used!

You can't have it both ways. :o

Guest guy_mancuso

Andy but one has to admit it is also the most interesting and fun sections too. Yes the moaning about this and that at the time was not much fun but the M8 section has changed a great deal also for the better and that is due to forum members as well.

Guest licht
Been reading this with interest <snip> maybe the real reason i am here.

what?

If you are man enough post your best picture of the germany trip in the PHOTO FORUM and let´s talk about photography and creativity only one time. :rolleyes:

In that case let's put ALL shots in the M8 forum and have done with it, regardless of the equipment used!

You can't have it both ways. :o

Are you wilfully trying to misunderstand? AFAIK Tim wasn't trying to say that pictures from other cameras should be posted here - just that those who would like to see pictures here aren't only interested in pictures from the M8 - or from Leica indeed.

Guest guy_mancuso
what?

If you are man enough post your best picture of the germany trip in the PHOTO FORUM and let´s talk about photography and creativity only one time. :rolleyes:

Robin , honestly what is the point. Do i earn any money from it, No . Do I truly waste my time , Yes . Do i really truly care what someone thinks of my work, No i don't there not paying me. Remember this is my business. yes i love to have fun but i am also not going to waste my time and reason i am not posting all over the net on other forums is i need to actually work too and that just soaks up my time. i really don't care if someone thinks i am great or i suck. It does not mean anything to me unless i am sitting in front of someone that can go through my portfolio and edit and improve my marketability. Forums do not do that for me.

it has nothing to do with being man enough, trust me. I am extremely confident on what i deliever to paying clients.

i have seen more Pro's leave forums because people just abused them and there work just becuase they can and not because they know better, so what is the point.

Guest guy_mancuso
`

Hi Guy

I quite agree - it lightens things up, makes it more interesting and enjoyable and a little less dry.

I agree Jono it is hard to sometimes to relay a point technically unless it can be shown.

Example the M8 is too grainy at 1250 what can be done. Well it helps to see it so we can comment on the exposure and raw processing of that image to help make it better for them. i think stuff like that is invaluable