ILFORD VC and Kentmere VC paper curl

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Just read your inquiry.

I find RC paper takes little time to dry. Only leave it in the print dryer a minute or so. First I put the image side on to the dryer as this enables me to use a soft towel and dry off the back of the print. Step two, I take the paper off the dryer, then place it down with the image side up, you can see it. Then I close the dryer with the cloth,leave for a minute or two then remove it from the dryer. With RC paper, the paper doesn’t absorb water like a fiber paper. It doesn’t take long to dry an RC paper as the paper part isn’t absorbing water.

Here is an example of the dryer I use:

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/2032-Premier-Thermostatic-Print-Dryer-(T2C)-12-in.-x-17-in.

I don’t use any matting.

Hope this helps you.

Ok, I assumed your earlier post referred to fiber paper which you use the press for. RC paper is easy to dry - I just hang it like film from a wire with wooden clamps. Dries very quickly and never wrinkles. 

I'm describing what I do for FB paper, I don't print on RC.

Before I had a press I flattened my FB prints solely by putting them under weight for a few days.  I thought they were flat enough but I took one to a professional framer and they advised me against framing it unless it was flattened further.  The press did the trick and I've been using one ever since.  But if you are ok with some rippling/gaps between the print and the mat (assuming you're matting and not dry mounting) then a press may be overkill.  Apparently it was for Winogrand :)

Kentmere VC FB paper? I never seen it.

I can't remember how Winogrand's prints were framed. To me he is photographer to look at his pictures and not how good the framing was done by some sissy framers. :)