SF60 and SFC1

rramesh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So we now have the Leica versions of the Nissin i60 and Nissin Air.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/General-Accessories/General-Accessories/SF60-and-SFC1

Would be keen to know how it is different in implementation. For instance, can one use other Nissin flashes in full compatibility.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

I hope it works. I have a couple of i60's (Nikon and Sony mount). It's a great little flash gun and if I can get a Commander and use all of them off camera I'll be stoked.

As an aside the SF64 is not currently listed on the leica Australia website. Maybe this is a full replacement. Good.

Gordon

You'll never get a full TTL on M because their is no distance information given from the lens.

But the Pre-flash may be "better".

Does it mean that the amount of light is fixed by the CF1 instead of by the camera?  Please give us some more explanations about the workflow of  this system.

Francisco.

Looks like a nice addition, but like the other Nissin based flashes lacks an auto-thyrister mode (where the flash rather than the camera controls the flash part of the exposure).  So TTL and manual only.  I have no experience with the M10 or SL, but with the M-240 series and earlier bodies the camera metering limits flash performance in TTL mode.

A subject that is backlighted or a frame that has a light source in it will often significantly underexpose both with and without flash.  When not using a flash this can be addressed by metering what I want properly exposed, then locking exposure and recomposing.  This method is not an option when using TTL flash.  In these situations auto-thyrister works well, but unfortunately is not available in the Nissin-based flashes.  With my Nikon bodies I am always in TTL and it is rarely fooled.  My SF-24D and SF-58 both offer auto-thyrister mode (A Mode) and that is what I use.  Since I am almost always photographing people, A Mode has the added benefit of no closed-eye subjects since there is no pre-flash.  And, of course, using A Mode opens up a universe of non-Leica flashes. Even my old film camera flashes work well on my Leica Ms.

do you know  if the SF C1  works with the SF-40 ?

No - the SF40 has no wireless receiver built-in, which the SF60 does. So there's nothing for the SFC1 to talk to. Leica will have to bring out a Leica version of the Air R receiver for that to happen.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Then I have to sell my Sf-40 .... and to buy that one ... again 

It's your choice: but it doesn't work any differently than it did before this announcement.

You can still use the SF40 on-camera with the same functions as you'd get with the SF60, or off-camera with a generic wireless dumb trigger and receiver.

What the new system brings is the ability to do TTL and HSS off-camera, and control manual power remotely. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

For now, i'm quite pleased with my Phottix Strato Transmitter and Receivers. The transmitter has a TTL pass through on the camera mount and I the SF40 on this. The receivers trigger slaves for fill as desired.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 2