Ektar alternative

Julian H

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would go for a Portra version too, very nice colors. Ektar is more contrasty and may thus drift towards oversaturation sometimes. It’s what you like, but for Morocco I’d go for more pastel colors than Ektar. And 160ISO seems fine for Morocco I’d say.

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

Jip , doesn't your fella post photos or come on the forum? I see he's holding a Leica here.

These are nicely scanned. Where did you have them developed?

Pete

I got him to buy a Leica back in 2013, since then he's with the Leica cameras! But, he isn't a big fan of forums it seems :) I've tried getting him on here a few times... 

He does post his photos on his instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lorenzvs/

He doesn't do film though, just digital with his M (Typ 240). 

I scan them myself which I wrote about here: http://jipvankuijk.nl/scanning-film-nikon-coolscan-4000/

C41 I used to get developed in Rotterdam at 'foto van der graaf' in Rotterdam, I think they just use a minilab with nice fresh chemicals.

I recently moved to Zürich so have yet to find a good colour lab (haven't done much colour with my R8 yet since moving here!).

Edited by jip
  • Like 1

Correction - I decided to buy a few 5-packs myself, but the shopping cart limited me to the one pack they have left. So if anyone wants 5 rolls of ProImage, then (as I write this) Macodirekt have just that.

Thanks for the heads-up. I was tempted to buy the remaining 5 pack (if that's what they have left) but it is effectively 3/4 the price of Portra 400 and if I find I really like it I will struggle to obtain any more. I find it a little constraining when I have only a few rolls of a favourite film left. I become loth to use the remaining rolls casually and seem to keep them indefinitely for a special occasion. I have about 5 rolls of BW400CN in the freezer currently fulfilling that role.

• Like 2

I think ProImage was only sold in the Asian area, I got mine from Thailand via eBay.  Not sure if production has now ceased but it's still available here from the UK https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xkodak+proimage.TRS0&_nkw=kodak+proimage&_sacat=0 and here if you look on eBay.com https://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=kodak+proimage&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

Hope that's helpful

Edited by Bobitybob
  • Like 2

Wattsy, thanks for the correction.  :)

I think I may still go for Portra 400 [colours stronger than 160?] and underexpose by one stop and take a 2 stop ND just in case? Is that a reasonable plan? I watched this video where the presenter seems to think -1 > +3 stops is acceptable... If I aim for one stop over as jips photos above it puts me bang in the middle of its latitude? Ideal for Sunny16 estimations?

• Like 2

I think I may still go for Portra 400 [colours stronger than 160?] and underexpose by one stop and take a 2 stop ND just in case? Is that a reasonable plan? I watched this video where the presenter seems to think -1 > +3 stops is acceptable... If I aim for one stop over as jips photos above it puts me bang in the middle of its latitude? Ideal for Sunny16 estimations?

Portra 400 is extremely malleable, I have shot it at 160 and 1600, different colors and responses and all that but it worked. Film stock is same as 160 but different from 800. One thing about Portra film generally is that there is a warm pastel like look to it, that sometimes I get a bit tired of.  Ektar moves from that, but you have to be spot on with your exposure. 400H is a good alternative for a cooler more digital looking picture. No right or wrong here, just a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer the flexibility of Portra and have learned how, in CaptureOne to turn Portra into 400H :-)  Digital processing has its value.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Portra 400 is extremely malleable, I have shot it at 160 and 1600, different colors and responses and all that but it worked. Film stock is same as 160 but different from 800. One thing about Portra film generally is that there is a warm pastel like look to it, that sometimes I get a bit tired of. Ektar moves from that, but you have to be spot on with your exposure. 400H is a good alternative for a cooler more digital looking picture. No right or wrong here, just a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer the flexibility of Portra and have learned how, in CaptureOne to turn Portra into 400H :-) Digital processing has its value.

Don't let the Dr read this, he'd have a thrombo! :)

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 3

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. (I presume you meant that you will overexpose by one stop?)

Yes, one stop overexposed.

400H is a good alternative for a cooler more digital looking picture. No right or wrong here, just a matter of taste.

sblitz, I'm not keen on Fuji colour, as you suggest, a matter of taste.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

I ended up taking Portra 400 [and one roll of ColourPlus 200 bought locally] on my trek in Morocco, exposed mainly using Sunny16 rule. Films are now with AG for dev/print/scan. Hoping the results are good, hope to post some soon. 

Cheers, Julian

Edited by Julian H
  • Like 2