LIM's Half Case with Grip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To my new Q I've added the LIM's half case with grip, which is, in one unit, equivalent to the Leica Q grip and the Leica half case, minus the screw hole for the Leica finger grip.  Cost around $100.   Excellent workmanship, no shortcomings at all.  They have a deluxe model that integrates a very trim Arca-style plate into the bottom. 

• Like 1

I have one as well and am mighty, mighty impressed by the quality and design. Only shortcoming (I suppose it's true of all half cases for the Q) is that you have to take it off to get access to the side door that houses the USB/HDMI. I have no problem getting out the battery, but the SD card is a bit more challenging.

Reviews of the Q lamented that it didn't balance on a table, because the lens was too heavy. But with a case/grip, it balances perfectly.

Edited by bags27
  • Like 2

I have one as well and am mighty, mighty impressed by the quality and design. Only shortcoming (I suppose it's true of all half cases for the Q) is that you have to take it off to get access to the side door that houses the USB/HDMI. I have no problem getting out the battery, but the SD card is a bit more challenging.

Reviews of the Q lamented that it didn't balance on a table, because the lens was too heavy. But with a case/grip, it balances perfectly.

Correct on the last point -- The camera sits square on its bottom with the LIM's case/grip, including the weight of the hood.  It's a near thing, but it works.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had forgotten that there is a door for USB/HDMI -- I shoot, I process, I display from the Macs -- and never shoot video.

Only shortcoming (I suppose it's true of all half cases for the Q) is that you have to take it off to get access to the side door that houses the USB/HDMI.

I always work with the SD card rather than USB. At home, all computers have SD readers which are faster than USB cables.

In the field I have an external drive with SD slot — it becomes 1st line backup, then SD card is read by Lightroom CC of MacBook or iPad. The cloud of Adobe is the 2nd level of backup. The card then is safely stored until I’m home. Then Lightroom Classic CC on desktop machine downloads all the new images and catalogs them into my secure file system. A month later, the SD re-enters the daily pool. I’m rather paranoid!

• Like 1

Curious. When you say LR Classic CC downloads all the images. Do you mean from the cloud or directly from the SD card. I have a friend who’s trying co-exist with LR CC and Classic CC.

I only use LR Classic CC on my iMac which keeps the master catalog and master image files on an external drive -- backed up 100% weekly

My MacBook, iPad, and iPhone all use LR CC to input the SD cards.  LR CC backs them up to the cloud.  On a borrowed machine, I use the web-based LR CC as well..

Then these images are synced to the iMac masters via the cloud when I open LR Classic CC.

The SD cards are not reformatted typically for a month.

Long reply -- the answer is that LR Classic & LR CC coexist beautifully but not on the same machine. 

Overgaard has a discussion of Classic vs CC for the Q here

http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Q-Hemingway-digital-rangefinder-.html

scroll way down to:  How to update Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC

I still haven't signed up for my free CC and am somewhat paralyzed by the bewildering technology of it. I'm not a professional and if I were to lose even my favorite pictures, I'd just laugh it off and say I can do better anyway. So, I'm taking some time thinking about what kind of commitment to Lightroom I want to make--far less a financial than a time and psychic concern.

Overgaard has a discussion of Classic vs CC for the Q here

http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Q-Hemingway-digital-rangefinder-.html

scroll way down to:  How to update Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC

I still haven't signed up for my free CC and am somewhat paralyzed by the bewildering technology of it. I'm not a professional and if I were to lose even my favorite pictures, I'd just laugh it off and say I can do better anyway. So, I'm taking some time thinking about what kind of commitment to Lightroom I want to make--far less a financial than a time and psychic concern.

I too am bewildered by the workflow options for storage and retrieval as between Lightroom Classic and CC.  If an expert is in Washington DC and come to my home to tutor me one afternoon, I'm willing to pay for the help.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know where to find the LIM’S half case for the Q with the Arca plate? I think I’m looking for the special edition with the red thread, although I’d be fine (and actually prefer) one that was all black.

I can find the version without the plate, and the half case for the Q2 Is available everywhere and fits except the hole for the battery door is too small.

Ultimately I can use the Q2 version if I  remove some metal, but I’d rather just buy the right thing.

Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I have a LIM case for my M10R and the camera back display says "Bottom Cover Removed"  and the viewfinder flash SD when the case is on.  Is this something that can be disabeled in the menu or on the bottom of the camera?

13 hours ago, billhart said:

I have a LIM case for my M10R and the camera back display says "Bottom Cover Removed"  and the viewfinder flash SD when the case is on.  Is this something that can be disabeled in the menu or on the bottom of the camera?

I have one for the M10P and you have to mount the bottom plate first, then screw the case into the tripod mount on the bottom plate. You can't screw the case onto the camera with the bottom plate removed. There's a magnet which detects whether the bottom plate is firmly attached and so there's no way to disable the warning unless you can modify the case to have the same setup.

Thanks nucOO1.  I am corresponding with someone in South Korea about the case and, perhaps, they will provide a magnet to add to the case so it will work without the bottom plate.  If not, I will put the case on with the bottom plate as  you suggest.  Thanks again.

12 hours ago, billhart said:

Thanks nucOO1.  I am corresponding with someone in South Korea about the case and, perhaps, they will provide a magnet to add to the case so it will work without the bottom plate.  If not, I will put the case on with the bottom plate as  you suggest.  Thanks again.

Oh, if they do please tell me...its a pain having to take the camera apart every time you need to access the battery and SD card