M10 or M-P 240

marsbars

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have been eyeing the M10 for a while and was about to go for it a few weeks ago. I'm shooting a Sony A7Riii right now and will definitely keep it also as I just got it and I am loving using it.

I had a Leica M9 but I sold it a long time ago, I am hankering to get another M!

However since this will not be my everyday camera, I have found a good deal on a used M-P 240. I have always liked the look of them and for the savings I could get some nice glass.

What would you do? Again this is more of a fun camera for street etc. I am trying to figure out if the hardware improvements and software upgrades to the M10 are worth it for my uses

Thanks for reading!

MP-240 it is my friend. No difference in file or quality. The built in Wifi in M10 sounds good but not heard from anyone really wahoooing on that.

If u can get MP-240 with some good lenses then i don’t think there is any better deal than this.

It be a good upgrade from M9 to M10 but between MP-240 and M10 i will see where i can bag an extra lens by not spending too much $,€,£,BD or ¥ which ever currency u gonna deal with[emoji4].

Give us good news in whatever u decide and shoot and share here.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 5 weeks later...

Can we consider the costs this way:

• M8: about 1000 €
  • M9 with sensor serviced with paperwork: 2000-2300 €
  • M 240: about 3000 € used
  • M10, brand new: 6500 €

So an M9 is 1/3 of an M10 and M240 is 1/2 of an M10. It's a little step to go M240 but a big step to go further into M10 territory.

I got this bug for Leica M9 when I saw one going for 1900 € with sensor replaced in this February. The deal's gone and now, still having the bug, considered briefly the M-P typ 240 which can be had for 3300 €. Trying to stay strong though. :unsure:

Edited by mike3996

Can we consider the costs this way:

• M8: about 1000 €
  • M9 with sensor serviced with paperwork: 2000-2300 €
  • M 240: about 3000 € used
  • M10, brand new: 6500 €

So an M9 is 1/3 of an M10 and M240 is 1/2 of an M10. It's a little step to go M240 but a big step to go further into M10 territory.

I got this bug for Leica M9 when I saw one going for 1900 € with sensor replaced in this February. The deal's gone and now, still having the bug, considered briefly the M-P typ 240 which can be had for 3300 €. Trying to stay strong though. :unsure:

IMO the best buy is the M262. And these can be found for 3k euros too.

My M240-P was really cheap when I bought it brand new. Western dealers make a huge mark up. In the Far East prices are much lower. Dealer margins are tiny.

What's more they can ship from Hong Kong to the UK at a subsidised rate. It is all quite legal and not stolen goods.

goto to say I have just become a proud leica owner! spent quite a bit of time with my dealer looking at M10 and 240 and M-P ..... decided on a used chrome 240 from them and the driver was it was so much lower cost than a new M10

I actually got an unmarked 240 (100 yr special ed), used chrome 90/2.8, new chrome 35/2.0, handgrip, evf, 2nd battery and all for not much more than an M10 body!

very tempted to go new and get M10 but saved myself over £5k by going this route ..... no brainer!!!

There are 3 differences that you should consider.  If any of these are important to you, then get the M10.

1) Better high ISO performance.  This was crucial for me since I tend to change ISO very often and I tend to shoot at high ISO.  Any improvement here was worth getting the M10.

2) Slimmer body design.  Although the M240 was only a hair bigger than the M9 it really made a difference for me and I longed for an M10 style design.  Even if the camera had no other changes, I would have bought the M10 just for this one modification.  I understand that the slimmer body wasn't all that big of a deal for many people.

3) WIFI image transfer. I've been jealous of other people's ability to do this for years.  I use this feature pretty much every time I shoot with the M10.  90% of my M10 images are backed up into the Adobe cloud with no other backup.  (Dumb idea, I know, but it makes for a really quick workflow).

3) WIFI image transfer.

You can do this from the M240 with a Toshiba FlashAir card. The current W-04 version is faster than previous versions. There will probably be an upfront investment of time that you spend to find your desired software solution, depending on where you want to transfer.

I too was thinking about the M10. I have an M9 and love it, and with all the hoopla around the M10's release, figured I'd 

end up going that way. I didn't. I bought the M240 for half the price and it is fantastic. I'd been told size was a big deal

with the M240...it's not. When you use it (I'd suggest getting a Thumbs up for it), you won't even think of its very tiny size

difference from the M9. Its files are amazing. Its ISO performance is wonderful.

Personally, I'd get the M240, a spare batt. and if you have cash left over, buy glass or an airline ticket to somewhere worth

photographing.

J

• Like 2