M10 or M-P 240

marsbars

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Guys, 

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have been eyeing the M10 for a while and was about to go for it a few weeks ago. I'm shooting a Sony A7Riii right now and will definitely keep it also as I just got it and I am loving using it.

I had a Leica M9 but I sold it a long time ago, I am hankering to get another M! 

However since this will not be my everyday camera, I have found a good deal on a used M-P 240. I have always liked the look of them and for the savings I could get some nice glass. 

What would you do? Again this is more of a fun camera for street etc. I am trying to figure out if the hardware improvements and software upgrades to the M10 are worth it for my uses

Thanks for reading!

Hello Marsbars.

For more than one year now that I use M10 along with other Ms.

In your place, I'd go for the M-P 240 sh plus some more lenses, or one more expensive lens.

With same lens, I don't see much difference in files from M10 vs M240/262.

The thinner M10 would not be an argumentation here.

I f you don't need 5 i/s of the M10.

Battery life is far better in M240 family than M10.

Arnaud

• Like 1

I also passed on the M10 thus far as none of its undoubted improvements compel me to ante up the required cash.  Like you it's not my every day camera (that would be my iPhone) so I tend to stay a generation behind and buy used or demo, as the depreciation on new ones is flushing money down the drain in my situation.  That all said, I would only buy certified pre-owned with factory warranty, as the cost of a repair on a used 240-series could eat much of the initial savings over a new M10.   In fact I suspect it won't be that long until demo and certified pre-owned M10's are in supply, so if like you I had another camera I was happy shooting with, I might be inclined to wait.

Both very capable machines, but I traded an M240 for an M10 and appreciate the slimmer profile (although one adjusts to either), improved build and weather sealing, simplified controls (and no video) and somewhat better files. Most of all, though, I enjoy better RF viewing, with higher magnification, bigger opening and better eye relief. Battery life not as good.

Personal preference and priorities.

I suspect that placing this same post in the M10 forum would skew responses a bit more to the M10.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 4

I picked up a mint MP240 about a month ago at half the price of an M10.  I am still getting used to it and admit I don't know all the features of the M10 but have to say "live view" is worth it.  Don't plan on using video but you never know.  Only other feature of the M10 might be higher ISO but do not do that type of shooting often enough for it to be worth it.

Use the money saved for a trip, down payment on a motorcycle or ???

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a used m262 over m10 and do miss the electronic viewfinder and liveview when shooting at night. Also the higher ISO would be nice. That said I still have a Q for after sunset.

If you will keep the Sony around you might be fine with the 240 but unless you really shoot a lot you might want just pick one camera and get really familiar with it.

Over the years I've had many Leica film cameras and lenses.  In digital, the Leicafuji zoom was my go-to camera for about 5 years.  Had some Leicasonics too, but I wasn't really happy with them.  No, only the M will do, and a 240 (with video!) and a "new" 50mm 1.4 ASPH finally provided relief from the itch.  (My true love was an M4m)

Mine was a new-old-stock M and the lens was a late model USA demo in perfect condition...both came with the warranties intact.  The next lens was a 28 ASPH. It was complete and in mint condition and at such a decent price I didn't really feel concerned about a warranty.  Its been a jewel. 

My point here is that while the M10 improved some of the 240's capabilities by removing the video and making it a tad smaller, that wasn't enough for me to shell out the extra money.  The saved funds went to cover a very significant part of those two lenses.  I'm satisfied with my little kit and it will hold me in good stead for the next several years.

I am sure if the M10 had a more modern FF sensor setting it further apart from its predecessor, this question wouldn't be raised as often online....

Which reminded me to check out Sony's FF bodies' specs.  Impressive.  Am hoping we get such sensors in M11

• Like 1

in·ces·sant

inˈses(ə)nt/Submit

adjective

(of something regarded as unpleasant) continuing without pause or interruption.

"the incessant beat of the music"

synonyms: ceaseless, unceasing, constant, continual, unabating, interminable, endless, unending, never-ending, everlasting, eternal, perpetual, continuous, nonstop, around/round-the-clock, uninterrupted, unbroken, unremitting, persistent, relentless, unrelenting, unrelieved, sustained

"their dog's incessant barking"

• Like 3

I actually got the 240 recently for really good deal. I was actually testing M10 a little and I have find I actually like the ISO setting on M240 little more to my surprise. I didnt have time to check if there is still "preview while holding shutter" option on M10 but I love that setting so far.

I've been shooting a lot of macro using a 50 Elmar-M, OUFRO & LV - lots loving on my 240.  Results are exactly what I want.  All for B&W print using Piezo inks. 17x22" here or larger at a print studio uprezed to 720 dpi.  60x40" prints are sweet!

The M-P 240 is an outstanding camera, capable of delivering stunning images if the photographer does his/her part both in the field and in post processing.  Used M240 and M-P 240 cameras are a very good buy since the M10 hit the streets.  

In my experience, the M-P 240 is fast enough for almost all applications but comes up a bit short in low light situations if you want to make larger size exhibit quality prints.  That's where Summilux and/or Noctilux lenses, monopods and tripods save the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, 

I'm trying to figure out what to do. I have been eyeing the M10 for a while and was about to go for it a few weeks ago. I'm shooting a Sony A7Riii right now and will definitely keep it also as I just got it and I am loving using it.

I had a Leica M9 but I sold it a long time ago, I am hankering to get another M! 

However since this will not be my everyday camera, I have found a good deal on a used M-P 240. I have always liked the look of them and for the savings I could get some nice glass. 

What would you do? Again this is more of a fun camera for street etc. I am trying to figure out if the hardware improvements and software upgrades to the M10 are worth it for my uses

Thanks for reading!

Hello marsbars,

I have a Q and a M (240) and I am happy with that combination. In my opinion the M is a really nice camera. I personally wait for the M11 or M12 with 50MP-sensor.

If you want another camera, you should also consider the SL. The camera became cheaper now and you can use your M-lens-equipment. Probably you should buy the 16-35mm Vario-Zoom-SL-lens with autofocus or you wait for the 35mm fix-focus-lens, because the Sony and the wide angle Leica lenses do not love each other.

I use my M9 and M-P pretty much interchangeably. Would probably do the same if I had an M10 too. Nothing wrong with any of the Mx’s, they all produce rather amazing files. For a septegenerian anything over ISO 400 is/was unheard of! By the way, I think that the ISO scale is producing misleading perceptions: ISO 100,000 is just 3 stops from ISO 12,500; the old DIN logarithmic system made more sense, a change of 3 was one stop, a change of 1 was a third of a stop, easy.

I'll add my vote to the M-P 240. Get some glass to go with it. I've had the M-P 240 for a couple of years and love it to bits because I know its limitations and how to work around them. The M10 is a fine camera but there wasn't enough of an improvement for me to upgrade. In fact, the M10's battery is a decided downgrade — I hate feeling battery anxiety.