Lots of different rolls of B&W film all pushed to different speeds.

Jodad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys.

So i now have a bunch of different rolls of B&W film (TMax, TriX,HP5,Foma100 etc.) that have been shot and are sitting in my fridge waiting to be developed. Most (other than a few 100s and 200s) are 400 ISO and some have been shot at box speed but most have been pushed between 1 and 2 stops.

Is there a developer that I can use to develop all of these films? I'm not in the position to buy a bunch of different devs to suit each film. Is there sort of a jack of all trades developer that you guys recommend?

Thanks Guys :)

• Like 1

The quintessential "jack-of-all-trades" developers are Kodak D-76 and Ilford ID-11 (which is just Ilford's version of the D-76 formula). They are formulated to be "pretty darn good" in all of the variables a developer can affect: grain size, shadow speed, acutance (fine detail retention), etc. - while other developers may be better for any one variable.

I use HC-110 myself for most things, but I'm not sure it is great for pushing film - it has a restrainer that produces nice fine, tight grain but is a bit weak in shadow detail (i.e. film speed). Rodinal and TMax developers produced more shadow density when I experimented with that parameter. Rodinal has minimal solvent, which means good shadow density and edge sharpness, but larger grain (some people mix their Rodinal with a bit of sodium sulfite (a solvent) to make it less grainy and more general-purpose-like).

TMax developer and Ilford's Microphen are general-use developers with a bias towards full shadow detail.

Beyond that, it gets into practicalities rather than performance: shelf-life once mixed, cost per roll, ease of liquid vs. powder mixing.

My gut says that if you have to ask, then you want ID-11 or D-76 - and then do some research on how to use those for pushing as well as normal rolls.

Edited by adan
  • Like 3

I never felt too excited about D-76 - it's a jack of all trades, but I would rather go for ISO 400 films with Xtol (1:2) instead if you like to see less of clunky grain. For low speed films, I also use Rodinal (1:50). When you buy the Xtol powder packages, you have to prepare a larger quantity of developer stock solution. Since you have a bunch of films to develop this might be advantageous. Stored at room temperature, Xtol stock solution lasts for about a year. Rodinal lasts for a very long time. 

• Like 3

I have been using Rodinal for a few years now and find it very reliable. It lasts right to the bottom of the bottle ( I do use Tetenal Protectan) and I have just used some from a friend who probably bought it 20+ years ago.

Yesterday I used Rodinal for some 5x4 film. Developed in a print drum intended for 8x10 colour paper you can get away with using only a very small quantity of developer.

I also use Microphen occasionally.

Many years ago I always used D76 1+1

To answer the original question, if the films have been pushed a stop or two, ie underexposed, Microphen could be used as it should cope with the under exposure.

• Like 2

I only know Rodinal and have used it for 40 years.

I dispense Adox Rodinal from its large containers into dozens of 1 ounce brown glass bottles with caps that extend into the contents displacing any air (AKA reducer caps). It lasts forever!

Edited by pico
  • Like 2