Low light work -- Noctilux on M or SL / SL Summilux combo

ardbeg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Huh? Why do you have to use AF or focus peaking to achieve good focus? I'm nearing 64 years old, use a Summilux-R 50mm on my SL quite a lot, and have no difficulties whatever shooting in extremely dim circumstances. ISO 3200 and 6400 are just fine, even for color work, as long as the diminished dynamic range at such stratospheric ISO settings isn't a problem for your work (I usually don't go higher than ISO1600).

I see this nonsense all the time lately: "Oh, I'm getting old and my eyesight isn't as good as it once was. I must buy an AF camera to help me out. Boo hoo!" BS. My eyesight was NEVER very good ... I've been wearing a pretty strong prescription since I was in fourth grade ... yet I can consistently nail perfect critical focus with my Leica M, my Leicaflex SL, and my Leica SL all the time using manual focus. I only rarely use the focus magnification or peaking features on the SL with any lens over 35mm focal length either. I do better than any of the AF systems I've had at it too. Why? Because I practice, practice, practice focusing my cameras and lenses, constantly. There are techniques to focusing a lens, it's not a natural act that just descends from the heavens when you're born.

Humbug. :D

Your superpowers are impressive indeed. Me, on the other hand, is a humble ordinary human being who uses Leica M for low light photography working with ballet dancers and gets much higher success rate than with SL firstly because the coincidental rangefinder is much easier to work with, as it has two modes: single image and double image, and secondly because SL zoom manual focus-by-wire idea does not sit well with me.

Favorite drink...although certain Springbanks and Port Ellen are competing favorites.

Lagavulin was one of my favorites until I was given a bottle of Ardbeg last year. Similar smokey peaty taste but a little more refined. Then I learned that the two distilleries are neighbors on Islay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The Noctilux 50mm f/0.95 is great for available light. I like it very much in dim light (e.g. churches, castles), much more than for daylight (with ND filter). With the laarge and high resolution EVF it is a pleasure to focus on the SL. I use the Noctilux only for f/0.95, f/1.4 and f/2.

• Like 1

Lagavulin was one of my favorites until I was given a bottle of Ardbeg last year. Similar smokey peaty taste but a little more refined. Then I learned that the two distilleries are neighbors on Islay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you can get it try Penderyn - a Welsh whisky that is surprisingly brilliant!

• Like 2

Your superpowers are impressive indeed. Me, on the other hand, is a humble ordinary human being who uses Leica M for low light photography working with ballet dancers and gets much higher success rate than with SL firstly because the coincidental rangefinder is much easier to work with, as it has two modes: single image and double image, and secondly because SL zoom manual focus-by-wire idea does not sit well with me.

Double image mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Selkie

• 1 month later...

I wanted to thank everyone again for their input. After trying out a SL and a CL on the AF front and a M10, I ultimately traded the 262 in for the M10 with the EVF. I did love the way the SL handled but I think I'm spoiled by the compactness of the M. The extra ISO performance of the M10 and some focus assistance when needed from the EVF has largely addressed my low light needs. That said, it won't necessarily address trying to focus track a fast moving child. Tackling that issue will have to wait for another camera investment / spousal negotiation cycle.

Edited by ardbeg
  • Like 1