Leica M10 + Lightpix Flash Q20

Leica-R-Guy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear M10 Friends and Users:

I am wondering if any one has tried to use the Lightpix Flash Q20 with the digital Leica M.

If you are not aware, Lightpix Flash Q20 is a cheap and wireless method of using flash with cameras.

Here's a video on Youtube.

From the FlickR page, I found this photo but not sure if they actually used the flash with the camera!

Look forward to your responses.

I am not affiliated with this company in any way.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Or a brilliant (second hand) flash. A Nikon SB -28:https://m.ebay.com/itm/EXC-Nikon-SB-28DX-Speedlight-Flash-Shoe-mount-Free-Ship-From-Japan-929/142696995898?hash=item2139675c3a:g:WU8AAOSwXoxaXgx9

I do not know if this seller or flashgun are good but the Nikon SB-28 flashguns were great flashes.

Edited by jto555

I don't have the flash unit but I do have the transmitter and receivers – and they work very well. They are extraordinarily cheap and if you just want off-camera flash then it is a great solution.

I see that Exodies above has made a very helpful comment about getting them in pink – but I think that you probably don't need to worry too much about this.  Exodies obviously has an unusual taste in colours for his cameras – but the black version works very well.

You can use them with a big variety of flash units – without TTL of course.

One thing I've just discovered – and I'm going to start a new thread about this – is that for some reason rather they will operate the flash even at high speed. I had imagined that the camera wouldn't permit the flash to be triggered at anything beyond 180

Edited by marcg

• 8 months later...

I use this flash frequently. You have the smart option to have an off camera mini-flash you can put elsewhere to light an small portion of the total content of your picture an also you own with this flash an unobtrusive good optical trigger for another flash you were using (as you know we the Leica users do not have on our cameras  these little flashes for that purpose other cameras have).

As lately I'm trying to install at home a very modest studio I've bought as well the separate FlashQ triggers (1 transmitter + 2 receivers) also mini tools,  you only have to care not forget to get off when the session is over.

All of them are small, useful and not to much expensive.

Francisco.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the SF C1 with two SF60 and a MG10 which I use as my OCF flash kit on my SL.

I do not have these flashes but I think they are brilliant idea. Compact, you can just detach from hot shoe leaving the transmitter attached to use as off camera flash in situations which you just want a fill in flash in an ambient that do not require a strong fill of light for my M10.

btw, it does not hurt much if you leave without remembering to retrieve it as the cost is cheap comparing to other flashes.

• 2 years later...

Have only just come to this topic as I was given a Lightpix Flash Q mini system as a Christmas present by my son, who is a professional photographer. Took me a little while to figure out how to make it work, so used my M6 to check out operation before using the M10. It works very well and gives plenty of light for such a small unit. Very versatile little thing and the Flash Q trigger is effective on both bodies, so I am thinking of using it with my studio flash unit as well. The whole set might have been purpose designed for Leica M cameras! Small, unobtrusive, but provides enough light for environmental portraiture with an M camera.

• Like 1

I occassionally use a Phottix Strato trigger and receiver (Nikon version).

I mount my SF40 on the trigger and use the receiver with a cheap Yongnuo. You can also trigger the Yongnuo when you fire your flash without using the trigger and receiver.,

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by rramesh

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2020 at 12:29 AM, peter.hamilton@bardwell-pr said:

Have only just come to this topic as I was given a Lightpix Flash Q mini system as a Christmas present by my son, who is a professional photographer. Took me a little while to figure out how to make it work, so used my M6 to check out operation before using the M10. It works very well and gives plenty of light for such a small unit. Very versatile little thing and the Flash Q trigger is effective on both bodies, so I am thinking of using it with my studio flash unit as well. The whole set might have been purpose designed for Leica M cameras! Small, unobtrusive, but provides enough light for environmental portraiture with an M camera.

Hi Peter,

I just tried the flashq in a shop on my M11, but it didn’t fire. Are there any special tricks to make it work on Leica M10/11?

cheers, Peter 

Even without bottom battery, on  shoe M 10 at sync speed (1/180) fired. Please check body batteries charge and right polarity. And "modeling S2" green light.

Francisco.

• 1 month later...

You guys reminded me I had one of these flashes for my Fuji camera. I just tried it on my Leica M6, holding the flash off to one side and it fired without issue so I'm guessing that means it's probably good for any other M camera. My M10R should be here tomorrow so will test it on that too.

Should be a perfect flash for it, compact, can attach to the transmitter in the camera hotshoe (so looks exactly like a traditional flash) or with the press of a button, release it from the transmitter and hold off to one side for some decent off-camera flash.

11 hours ago, Henners said:

M10R arrived and I've just tried the LightPix Labs flash unit and it works great.

Which flash unit do you have?  I have a Fuji Xpro3 as well as Leicas.  Do you have the version that is for Fuji and it also works with your Leicas?  I assume there is no TTL with the Leicas.

On their website I see FlashQX20 for Fuji, Flash Q20II which I assume is generic mount and not TTL...  trying to figure what is the best option for my TTL Leicas (M7, M10-r) and maybe also my Fuji Xpro3.

Thanks!

The one I have is FlashQ Q20II and that worked with my x-e3 and with the m10r but no TTL, just manual.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Henners
  • Like 1