X-Vario Battery Life (Not shots per charge)

mikej

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, all - my XV battery is about 3-1/2 years old now and I am considering buying a new battery. The original still charges well and holds a charge without a problem, and I shoot tens of shots, not hundreds on an outing.

Could you share your experiences on how long your X or XV battery lasted before you replaced it? Also, what is the typical shelf life for a battery before it can no longer be sold as “new”?

Cheers,

Mike

I bought my X Vario along with a spare battery in 2013. Both batteries are still going strong and I haven’t noticed any deterioration in performance or charge holding. Like you, I’ve been wondering how much longer I can rely on these original batteries and whether it makes sense to replace them with "new" batteries that may be as old as those they are replacing. I have looked at the Ansmann site to see if they make battery that fits the X Vario but I can't see one.

I have the original battery and a spare. When I also had an X1 I sort of rotated the three batteries in and out of the two cameras.

Now with just the X-Vario I try to swap them as often as I can.

No dramas with either yet, but they are getting on.

I'd worry about it if and when.

Gary

I have four in rotation, two Leica and two generics have noticed that my Leica batteries are still going strong but the Wasabi generics aren’t faring as well. I know one of the Leica batteries is from the age of X1 as well. As far as how old they can be sold as new, I recently bought a M9 battery as “old-new” stock and it does appear to be working as a new one should, but I would think depends on how it has been stored and how old it is.

Edited by goatsby