Potential M10 Purchase

Edward77

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had my M9P stolen a year ago in LA and my insurance company paid out within days.  I registered the camera stolen with Leica and it's just arrived in Germany which is great news.  I'm inclined to replace it with an M10.

Any reasons not to bother?  

Any major M10 issues currently?

I did borrow one the other and it's so much quicker than the M9P and for the odd peak at the screen more rewarding to see your shots on a sharper screen.

I am not aware of any ongoing issues with the M10.

You said you have used the M10, so here are some things to consider:

If you are interested in higher ISO/lower noise photography, then the M10 would be more useful. 

The rangefinder/viewfinder is better/larger on the 10 than on the 9. 

Some M9s have the sensor corrosion  problem, and if yours was not replaced, that would be an added expense.

They own it.

Sounds right, since they paid you for it. 

If you keep the money and Leica returns the M9 to you, that could be viewed as insurance fraud. 

Ask an attorney how you should proceed to stay out of hot water, or inform the insurance company and ask what they want to do.  I would expect that they will want either the M9 or the money they paid to you for its theft.

It completely depends whether you prefer the look of pictures from a CCD sensor or a CMOS sensor.  Functionally my M10 is better in every way than my M9P and my M240 were as well as being smaller and lighter and having a much improved viewfinder/rangefinder.

But all of the above will mean nothing if you're hooked on CCD pictures as some people are because ultimately it's all about the pictures the camera produces and how they appeal to you.

Pete.

• Like 2

... But all of the above will mean nothing if you're hooked on CCD pictures as some people are because ultimately it's all about the pictures the camera produces and how they appeal to you.

Very true. I've always appreciated the way CCDs render SOOC.  So much so that when I bought the M10, one of my MFs had to go, so I sold the 645Z but kept the D despite it being a vastly inferior camera in every other way.  It does bear mentioning though that in that arena, where the camera is almost always on a tripod and everything is so deliberate and more time consuming, the inconveniences, lack of speed, tighter DR, lack of ISO flexibility, etc. are more easily accepted. In ordered to admire a shot, you first have to get it. The M10 is undoubtedly more capable than any of the previous generation in that regard.  

• Like 1

Before you do anything ask the insurance company how much they want for the M9. As others have said, the camera no longer belongs to you. The insurers would sell it off to recoup their outlay, usually to a mass acquirer registered with them, but there's nothing stopping your purchase at the "right" price thus enabling a trade in deal for the M10.

Worth a shot surely.

Before you do anything ask the insurance company how much they want for the M9. As others have said, the camera no longer belongs to you. The insurers would sell it off to recoup their outlay, usually to a mass acquirer registered with them, but there's nothing stopping your purchase at the "right" price thus enabling a trade in deal for the M10.

Worth a shot surely.

I woulf first wonder in what shape it is.

• Like 1

I did borrow one the other and it's so much quicker than the M9P and for the odd peak at the screen more rewarding to see your shots on a sharper screen.

I sold my M10 for my own reasons and happily returned to my M9 which I hadn’t sold yet. But I can tell you that I found the M10 slow in startup time. I see the M as a street camera and the M9 is noticeably faster to open when you see something that has to be reacted on very quickly. I really missed decisive moments with my M10.

(I swapped my M10 for an SL because that’s a more complete camera and I don’t believe in the idea of making an M usefull for anything including through-the-lens photography which has started with the M240, too much ado with that EVF etc.)