Vintage lenses on APS-C

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

CL with 50mm f/0.95 Canon "Dream Lens"

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the CL with my collapsible Elmar-M 50mm f2.8. It is quite a late example as it is coded.

• Like 7

'Not sure if a Jupiter 8 is really vintage but for a $49. eBay purchase the results, if you are OK with "bokeh with character", are quite good.  CL with Jupiter 8, processed in LR "Classic".

. . . David

• Like 6

here are a couple using 50mm summicron DR ... smooooooooooth ...

• Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

and one more ..... 

• Like 1

here is another using the 50mm DR summicron --

• Like 12

80mm/f2.8 Super Rotator Hartblei lens with 8º reverse Scheimpflug tilt dialled in, to produce the "toy/model house" effect by producing an artificial narrow band of focus. This lens is effectively an old Pentacon 80mm medium format lens in a tilt/shift Leica R mount. The Pentacon lens in turn, was based on a pre-war Meyer Gorlitz 100mm Orestor design, so a true vintage lens. I bought it some years ago but have to admit I have never really found much of a need or use for it. A wide (say 28mm) tilt shift is much more useful for architectural photography to correct perspective. The optical cell sadly, is quite low contrast and resolution, although it does have nice soft bokeh with no unpleasant artefacts. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 3

wow, that lens is a cracker. Now the depressing part....where in the heck am I going to find one of those, under a unicorn?

An early Kinoptik f2 Erax (LTM modified) on the CL - a recent test:

25828048567_b7532b514a_b.jpg

Zoom - Erax bokeh by JM__, on Flickr

and a shot of the lens itself:

https://www.facebook.com/costuas.bertrand/photos/rpp.1419757508239220/1943514545863511/?type=3&theater

Best, JM.

tele-elmar M f/4 picture of jazz trumpeter Nicholas Payton at Smoke Jazz Club NYC -- right out of the CL -- have to say, more I use the CL the more I really enjoy it . . . .

• Like 11

tele-elmar M f/4 picture of jazz trumpeter Nicholas Payton at Smoke Jazz Club NYC -- right out of the CL -- have to say, more I use the CL the more I really enjoy it . . . .

A very good shot. The Tele Elmar 135mm is a very nice lens though a bit large and heavy on the CL. Having a grip helps. I posted an image of it #80 in this thread.  https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/282141-vintage-lenses-on-the-cl/?p=3483677

Apologies if this question is somewhere else on the Forum, but how does one focus a "vintage" lens on the CL?

Magnify then focus using focus peaking then shoot, can use without magnification in your f/stop is high enough, but when you are cutting a sliver magnification works better -- for me at least.

Magnify then focus using focus peaking then shoot, can use without magnification in your f/stop is high enough, but when you are cutting a sliver magnification works better -- for me at least.

Thank-you

Can anyone kindly tell me if the F2 Summar collapsed will foul the sensor? What is the factory maximum distance allowed for a collapsed lens ? I have used the Summar on the CL with very acceptable results but always keep the lens extended. it would be nice to be able to retract it.

Can anyone kindly tell me if the F2 Summar collapsed will foul the sensor? What is the factory maximum distance allowed for a collapsed lens ? I have used the Summar on the CL with very acceptable results but always keep the lens extended. it would be nice to be able to retract it.

I don't have any collapsible lens but can you try collapsing/retracting the lens when it is just attached to the adaptor not on the CL body to see what sort of clearance there is - I would not expect there to be a problem.

Edited by Boojay

I don't have any collapsible lens but can you try collapsing/retracting the lens when it is just attached to the adaptor not on the CL body to see what sort of clearance there is - I would not expect there to be a problem.

I have no experience with Summar lenses but there is no clearance enough to collapse my Elmar 90/4, 50/2.8 v1 and 50/2.8 v2 lenses. No problem with Elmar 90/4 macro though. 

• Like 1

A rather "green" shot on a very grey and hazy day, with my newly acquired Nikkor 105mm/f2.5 LTM lens. It is certainly very sharp and is obviously quite high micro contrast as the focus peaking is very evident even wide open. It will make a very nice addition to my LTM lens portfolio, as it is much more a lens to carry around than my very heavy 85mm/f1.5 Summarex. 

Wilson

• Like 1