Vintage lenses on APS-C

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

BTW, I did share a few shots taken with the CL and vintage glass on LUF :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268173-the-view-through-older-glass/page-190

Here with a W-Nikkor 2,5cm f4 LTM lens:

39724664645_9abf46df4e_b.jpg

Au Gaou by JM__, on Flickr

With a  Topcor 50mm f2 LTM:

39608176085_a17beec3fe_b.jpgAu Gaou by JM__, on Flickr

and with a 24mm Angénieux R2 f2.2  in Cameflex CA-1 mount:

39607514555_0d83a07283_b.jpg

Chez Janou, Charlène. by JM__, on Flickr

Cheers, JM.

This image was taken with a  vintage Elmar 65mm for Visoflex. As there is an excellent EVF in the CL there is no need to use an actual Visoflex so I have replaced it with a 41mm spacer and mounted the Elmar 65mm on its companion OTZFO 16461 Universal Focusing Mount.

attachicon.gifL1000254.jpg

Here is the CL fiited with L-adapter-M, 41mm custom spacer,OTZFO and Elmar 65mm.

attachicon.gifP2240008.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Have to test the 65 Elmar on the CL,

meanwhile here is a photo taken with the SL 601:

40017606804_d098fd20f8_b.jpg

65 Elmar by JM__, on Flickr

Cheers, JM

Edited by JMF

What budget friendly vintage lenses would the group recommend to mount on the CL?  Thought there might be other people like me that would like to experiment :)

With "budget" you mean "non-Leica", right?

Try the Russian M39-lenses (Jupiter 3, 8, 9...) if compact size also counts.

If you want to go for vintage Leica lenses, your budget obviously needs to be bigger.

• Like 1

Leica Cl with the Schneider Kreuznach Retina 50mm F1.9

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

CL and Schneider Kreuznach Retina 50mm F1.9

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

try the Schneider Kreuzach retina 50mm F1.9

You will need a DKL leica mount and an M to TL mount

Cool, will check it out.  Looks groovy on the CL too :)

With "budget" you mean "non-Leica", right?

Try the Russian M39-lenses (Jupiter 3, 8, 9...) if compact size also counts.

If you want to go for vintage Leica lenses, your budget obviously needs to be bigger.

Yeh maybe start off under a few hundy and see if I can get on board with the whole thing.  I need to pick up a flash for my CL, so probably prioritise that over a more expensive Leica vintage lens at this point.  I just want to have some fun...

Cool, will check it out.  Looks groovy on the CL too :)

Yeh maybe start off under a few hundy and see if I can get on board with the whole thing.  I need to pick up a flash for my CL, so probably prioritise that over a more expensive Leica vintage lens at this point.  I just want to have some fun...

Look into  the  wide range of lenses as well !

Here a shot taken with CL and a 15mm Heliar Voigtlander v1 LTM :

25632761157_e607defbc5_b.jpg

Gérard by JM__, on Flickr

I'd guess a 28 Canon f3.5 LTM could be an other compact lens to try.

This shot was taken with a 25 W Nikkor LTM lens:

25632775947_aa9eb93d94_b.jpg

Gérard by JM__, on Flickr

Best to use a third party cheapo L to M adapter with no 6 bits reader as I found that the Leitz LTM to M vintage adapters leave the reader space partly uncovered and the Leica CL menu goes tripping, same experience with various original Leica 18771 L to M adapters and on the SL 601 !

Am using a Hawks L to M adapter for screw mount lenses now .

Cheers, JM.

Edited by JMF

Been playing with a non coded affordable vintage Leica lens, an 85 Hektor 2.5 projection lens with a LTM mount focusing ring:

40046743624_03872c1c88_b.jpg

curved by JM__, on Flickr

40046743634_e980e38bc8_b.jpg

lonely tower by JM__, on Flickr

40046743664_b5cec82416_b.jpg

street colors by JM__, on Flickr

Best, JM

My M lenses are not coded. What disadvantages will they have ? Any advice would be very welcome.

No correct EXIF information will appear nor any automatic corrections applied by the camera when using a Leica L to M adapter.. 

The EXIF informations that will appear are those of the lens you chose in the Lens Profiles menu (page 3) and the lens corrections associated to this profile will be applied automatically by the camera. Unless you don't choose any lens profile of course, in which case the words "Unknown Lens" will appear in your EXIF data and no lens correction will be applied by the camera.

No correct EXIF information will appear nor any automatic corrections applied by the camera when using a Leica L to M adapter.. 

Many thanks. So in effect I will not notice anything different with the lens performance from that on my old M6.

Many thanks. So in effect I will not notice anything different with the lens performance from that on my old M6.

Your M lenses will fare well, baring in mind the digital  CL is an aps-c  not a full frame camera.

If you have access to a local Leica shop, I suggest to test your M lenses on a digital CL camera (with L to M lens mount adapter) .

try the Schneider Kreuzach retina 50mm F1.9

You will need a DKL leica mount and an M to TL mount

Nice lens, but is this the recommendation to make it as complicated as possible? ;)

There are plenty of old Nikkors, Rokkors, Hexanon, Pentax out there that will be easier to mount and still offer nice results.

Nice lens, but is this the recommendation to make it as complicated as possible? ;)

There are plenty of old Nikkors, Rokkors, Hexanon, Pentax out there that will be easier to mount and still offer nice results.

Those are not Schneider lenses though. Some people would pay little fortunes to have one. See Schneider Xenon 50mm f/1.3 modified to Leica M mount.

It only takes 2 adapters stacked together.

Edited by JMF

it's really no trouble and the results speak for itself. Not to mention it only cost about $100 :)

No different to mounting an LTM lens on the CL