Vintage lenses on APS-C

jaapv

6 hours ago, bags27 said:

Very cool, Rob!

Thanks . . . it was just a fortunate shot. (I'm not that good!).  The lens, as I've posted before, was just a terrific find - great condition and around $200. Rob

On 3/10/2018 at 10:49 AM, Ozytripper said:

Leica Cl with the Schneider Kreuznach Retina 50mm F1.9

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What is the adapter you are using?? Have 3 Kodak Retina lenses from my father, would be fun to use them.

From a 25mm f3.5 Canon, true pancake lens on a CL, sorry no pictures of lenses on my CL is in the shop getting its sensors cleaned or replaced. 

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier in this thread I was curious about adapting lenses from the Kodak Retina Reflex cameras to a CL. My Dad had a Retina Reflex 3 and an Instamatic Retina (why I don't know for the Instamatic). He had 3 lenses the normal 50, a 135 f4 Tele Xenar as well as a 28mm f4 Schneider Curtagon. Bought an adapter on EBay and checked out the 135 and 28 on my CL. The 28 seems decent the 135 is not very contrasty and only focuses to 12ft. 

From the 28

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There seems to be a lot of "whilst my sensors get cleaned or replaced" referencing the CL in particular but also TL2 (I have both) 

Have I bought into a 'flakey' system? Used my m43 Oly em 1.1 and 1.2 for years without ever worrying their service dept.

Love my Leicas and don't want to go back but am a little concerned by these posts

Are they really that 'sensitive' despite apparent robustness?

Huwm: I never had the sensor in my CL, M-D, SL, or M-P cleaned or replaced. None of these camera ever needed a single bit of service despite being used daily and for thousands of exposures. I’ve also never read of a CL or TL series camera (or any of the others in that list) requiring a sensor replacement for any reason other than that the user inadvertently damaged it. 

With regard to vintage lenses, I think I should pull out my 1939 Zeiss Sonnar 40/2 that came with my Berning Robot II and fit it to the CL for a whirl. I have the apropos mount adapters... :D

I had the viewfinder EVF LCD sensor missbehaved from a couple of months into having the CL. Tried cleaning and the problem got worse. Finally sent it to Leica USA and they said the sensor was defective and dirty and replaced. I kept trying to clean it but maybe I was pushing dirt into the sensor, don't know. 

I really like the CL so this is just a bleep in the ownership. But I can say my M2s had 2 shutter jobs in the 30 years I had them, my Canon F1s have never seen a repair person. I really think there is a complexity to the new electronic cameras that was never faced with quality analog units.

Tom

1 minute ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I had the viewfinder EVF LCD sensor missbehaved from a couple of months into having the CL. Tried cleaning and the problem got worse. Finally sent it to Leica USA and they said the sensor was defective and dirty and replaced. I kept trying to clean it but maybe I was pushing dirt into the sensor, don't know. 

I really like the CL so this is just a bleep in the ownership. But I can say my M2s had 2 shutter jobs in the 30 years I had them, my Canon F1s have never seen a repair person. I really think there is a complexity to the new electronic cameras that was never faced with quality analog units.

Tom

I think a number of us have had the same EVD/LCD sensor problem with the CL. If you keep at it with solution, it eventually goes away. Some use the very small dental wipes (jaapv has them) with solution. I've had it happen 3 or 4 times, and fixed it pretty simply.

I just picked up a dirt cheap adapter for my old Canon FD lenses on eBay. Rather pleased with the results, though no focus mag is annoying.

CL + FD 50mm F1.4

• Like 2

I have focus mag on the CL's RH roller, for when I have a manual focus lens mounted, then just a flick of the thumb and you have zoom; touch the shutter release and it reverts to 100% view. 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I have focus mag on the CL's RH roller, for when I have a manual focus lens mounted, then just a flick of the thumb and you have zoom; touch the shutter release and it reverts to 100% view. 

Wilson

I think, Wilson, that this only works with Leica lenses or with the Leica adaptor. It doesn't work in my experience with a 3rd party adapter, but as jaapv says above, then the up and down arrows work.

• Like 1

Here's the Canon 50mm f1.4 LTM in action, focused using right hand wheel for magnification 

Edited by huwm
LTM
  • Like 1

Another vintage lens on the CL. This is a 400 f5.6 Fern-Kilar monster. I have had this lens for a while it has a 39mm mount probably set for the screw mount Visoflex have adapters for it for Canon FD and Nikon. Received a TZOON adapter today mostly to look at the 200 f4 Telyt but thought I'd try it out on this lens. Works nicely interestingly I tried an off brand 39mm to M, and nothing lined up, put on a Leica adapter bingo, worked as it should. The results from it are good but it is way too heavy to carry around.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

https://flic.kr/p/2kSbADW

25mm Kinotik Apo f2 on CL

vor 15 Stunden schrieb JMF:

https://flic.kr/p/2kSbADW

25mm Kinotik Apo f2 on CL

In the early 1970's I had an Alpa and lusted after this lens, it was expensive then. Leica lenses at the time were not as expensive so I continued in that direction. The Alpa was stolen out of my car about a year. Such a weird camera.