Vintage lenses on APS-C

jaapv

I am particularly looking forward to getting my two favourite LTM lenses back from cleaning with Alan Starkie (Cameraworks-uk) , the 50/f1.5 Summarit and 85/f1.5 Summarex to try on the CL. The Summarit particularly, has the most amazing swirly bokeh that with the correct colours makes an image look like a Monet painting. I am hoping the bluebells might be in flower in the wood at my UK house before I leave for France but I suspect that will be a bit later. I will have to wait for the lavender to go purple in France. I am considering buying a circular polarising filter for the Summarit, to try and up the contrast a bit but 41mm filters are difficult to find. 

• Like 1

I am particularly looking forward to getting my two favourite LTM lenses back from cleaning with Alan Starkie (Cameraworks-uk) , the 50/f1.5 Summarit and 85/f1.5 Summarex to try on the CL. The Summarit particularly, has the most amazing swirly bokeh that with the correct colours makes an image look like a Monet painting. I am hoping the bluebells might be in flower in the wood at my UK house before I leave for France but I suspect that will be a bit later. I will have to wait for the lavender to go purple in France. I am considering buying a circular polarising filter for the Summarit, to try and up the contrast a bit but 41mm filters are difficult to find. 

I recently  rebought a 5cm Summarit 1.5 ... a 41 to 43 step up ring will help fit the more common e43 polarizing filter and hood.

I recently  rebought a 5cm Summarit 1.5 ... a 41 to 43 step up ring will help fit the more common e43 polarizing filter and hood.

I have just started a thread asking if anyone knows where I can buy a 41 x 0.5mm to any larger size filter step up ring. 41 x 0.75 is no problem but the finer thread is. 

Wilson

I have just started a thread asking if anyone knows where I can buy a 41 x 0.5mm to any larger size filter step up ring. 41 x 0.75 is no problem but the finer thread is. 

Wilson

No problem with the step up ring adapter from Heavystar, I remember using their adapter in the past and have another on order . Their thread accepts mounting with no dammage to the 0.5 lens thread IIRC.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was going through a large cardboard box of lens caps, hoods, filters and filter rings looking for my 52mm Hoya Polariser to use on the CL 18-56. I last used it in New Orleans some 5 weeks ago. I took it off to send the 18-56 and CL back to Wetzlar for warranty replacement and the filter has vanished. However I did find a 41 to 43 mm step up ring made by SM Photo. This was of course, after I had ordered one from Heavy2Stars - perfect example of Murphy's Law. I have also ordered a new B+W Kasemann high transmittance 52 mm filter, so I expect the Hoya filter will pop up from wherever it has been hiding, any minute now. I am not too worried, as I was less than totally impressed with the Hoya filter. It was about -3EV or more compared with the B+W which is less than -2EV and it just did not seem to increase colour saturation and reduce reflections anything like as well, as the Rodenstock 82mm Pola filter does on my SL and 24-90. 

Wilson

I was going through a large cardboard box of lens caps, hoods, filters and filter rings looking for my 52mm Hoya Polariser to use on the CL 18-56. I last used it in New Orleans some 5 weeks ago. I took it off to send the 18-56 and CL back to Wetzlar for warranty replacement and the filter has vanished. However I did find a 41 to 43 mm step up ring made by SM Photo. This was of course, after I had ordered one from Heavy2Stars - perfect example of Murphy's Law. I have also ordered a new B+W Kasemann high transmittance 52 mm filter, so I expect the Hoya filter will pop up from wherever it has been hiding, any minute now. I am not too worried, as I was less than totally impressed with the Hoya filter. It was about -3EV or more compared with the B+W which is less than -2EV and it just did not seem to increase colour saturation and reduce reflections anything like as well, as the Rodenstock 82mm Pola filter does on my SL and 24-90. 

Wilson

Wilson,

Why was the "18-56" and CL sent back to Wetzlar for warranty replacement?

I have just sent the same lens as well as a Summicron-T 1:2/23 ASPH and Leica TL back to Wetzlar for the second time and under warranty, my thought being to part trade the TL on a CL when the former returns.

I am loathe to go down that path if the CL is a problem camera.  My Minilux, Leica M7 0.85 à la carte and M8.2 have all had to be returned to the factory, the M7 a number of times till in the end it was completely replaced.  In frustration I bought a Sony A7R with Novoflex adaptor which is superb with Leica glass, however when travelling I was hoping a CL and Vario-Elmar-T 1:3.5-5.6 / 18-56 ASPH would be discrete and quick.

Let us know your CL problems.

MfG

Hektor

Hektor, 

The lens release button dropped out of my CL and its fixing screw jammed the lens release, so the 18-56 was locked onto the camera. I never even got a chance to mount the 11-23 lens I had just bought, to go on a three week+ trip to the Caribbean and New Orleans, nor could I mount any of the M lenses I had taken with me. The lens release was found to have dropped out when I took the camera out of my hand luggage on arrival on the first day. When I got back and was taking off the lens hood, prior to sending back to Wetzlar, I noticed debris in the lens behind the first optical group. It looked like aluminium machining swarf. After Leica made idiots of themselves by claiming the lens was 2014 vintage and out of warranty, even though the kit had only been bought new in December 2017, I decided that I was going to reject a repaired camera and lens, given that I had bought new not repaired or refurbished items. One is entitled to do this under E.U. consumer protection directives. My dealer agreed with me. Between the two of us, Leica agreed after some hesitation to a new replacement kit. My past record, over the last 13-14 years, of having electronic items repaired by Leica has not been even vaguely satisfactory, so I definitely did not want two items which had been taken apart and reassembled. 

Wilson

Nice lens, but is this the recommendation to make it as complicated as possible? ;)

There are plenty of old Nikkors, Rokkors, Hexanon, Pentax out there that will be easier to mount and still offer nice results.

Teasing time...

it works on the CL as well:-)

10cm Anticomar Plaubel 2.9 on SL !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JMF

Hektor 85mm 2.5 (no iris) on CL:

40046743654_8c08c4d35e_b.jpg

blue pond by JM__, on Flickr

Angénieux 24 R2 f2.2 on CL:

25749608627_7e73386cd6_b.jpg

AF 442 by JM__, on Flickr

25mm W-Nikkor f4 LTM on CL:

39724664715_b1a4ce774c_b.jpg

Au Gaou by JM__, on Flickr

Topcor 50 f2 Tokyo Kogaku LTM on CL:

39608176115_2eb87b5530_b.jpg

Au Gaou by JM__, on Flickr

CL and Konishiroku Hexanon 60mm F1.2

• Like 8

CL and Konishiroku Hexanon 60mm F1.2

• Like 2

Among the old Leica lenses, one of my favorite is the Summaron 35/2.8 from 1966. I like the compacity and the bokeh.

Some pict. below were taken at f 4.0 and f 2.8 developped with C1 v.10.2 without particular treatment (DNG neutral)

Edited by papimuzo
  • Like 1

Another one (f 2.8)

Edited by papimuzo
  • Like 1

The only downside of the Summaron 35/2.8 if it is an LTM one like mine, is the only LTM to M adapters I have found, that work either on the M240 series cameras or the active M adapter L, are the expensive Rayqual ones. I have a bunch of other adapters ranging from original Leica, through Voigtlander to Chinese no-name ones, with wrongly positioned coding pits. The only adapters which consistently don't cause the "no lens detected" message are the Rayqual black anodised ones with a white painted slot onto which you can mark coding lines with a Pentel Sharpie. Otherwise a great lens. Mine mostly sits on my IIIg with a SBLOO viewfinder. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Leica CL and Konishiroku 60mm F1.2 version 1 and macro adapter and M to L adapter used to take the flowers shots above. Forgot to post the camera and lens with the photos

• Like 1

CL and Schneider Kreuznach Retina 50mm with DKL adapter and M to L adapter  :)

• Like 4

My old Tele-Elmar 135mm f4 gives a useful effective FL of 200mm on the CL. As it is quite a heavy lens I find that the LIM Design case which comes complete with a grip and built in tripod mount  plate improves the handling considerably.

• Like 5