Minolta MultiPro scanner

Reeray

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.

I have the above scanner and clearly the mirror or whatever needs cleaning as I'm seeing a fair amount of debris on my scans.

Does anybody have any advise as to how I access and clean what I presume is the mirror.

Thank you

Hi, Reeray.

I can't help you with the Minolta specifically, and it may be a redundant question, but are you sure the dust is on the scanner? Does it appear in the same places each scan?

I use a Plustek and an Epson, and see that, even when I think a film is clean, it may well not be.

PS - I think you are posting this in the right place - I recall there being some Minolta owners on here. I'm also liking the posts you've been putting up in the "I like film..." thread.

Cheers, Eoin

Hi Eoin

I've passed negs through the scanner and digitally scanned them with the latter showing no such problems. Without a doubt the scanner needs a CLA !

Thanks for the contact and comment, appreciated.

Ray

Hi Eoin

I've passed negs through the scanner and digitally scanned them with the latter showing no such problems. Without a doubt the scanner needs a CLA !

Thanks for the contact and comment, appreciated.

Ray

I'm confused, is the dust in the same place or appears in the same pattern each time on different negatives? If the dust is always in the same pattern on different negatives, look for tell-tale combinations similar to constellations in the night sky, then yes it's the scanner, but definitely make sure it's not the negatives that are dusty before sending the scanner for cleaning. I used a Multi Pro for many years (best scanner I ever had) and dust was never a problem. There isn't (as far as I know) a part of the scanner where dust can be in perfect focus so it shows up as dust, a bad case of dust would be vague out of focus patches. Think of it this way, the scanner is focusing on the very thin emulsion layer and scanning that, if dust or debris was above or below the negative, say on the bulb or the scan head, it wouldn't be in focus so it wouldn't look like typical dust.

Another thought, if it isn't the scanner at fault and you are having dust problems then unless the negatives are curling I wouldn't use the glass negative carrier, these can attract a lot of dust in humid conditions even though you try to clean them.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2

The dust is indeed always in the same place with the same pattern. That what leads me to realise it's in the scanner. However, your comment of the glass carrier being a possible area had been in my figuring and I'll check this out. Thanks for that.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve has a valid point, as always.

My Minolta experience was a white line/streak across the scanner image, right across, same place every time.

Considered opinion was a spec of dust on the thin moving sensor. Plan was simple, crack it open, clean off the offending dust, be happy.

Unfortunately my dismantling skills were lacking.

Gary

• Like 2

Having had a quick peek "under the hood" last week, I quickly came to the opinion that any attempt to start dismantling would invariably lead to an expensive paper weight. I'll check the glass as per Steves recommendation and that'll be the extent of my CLA. It's not really that much dust after all.

Thxs.

• Like 1

@250swb

You were right. The problem lay with the 120 glass carrier. It's so obvious when someone points it out. It's even more obvious when I realised that this dust was not visible on 35mm scans where I use the glassless carrier! After a good clean of all glass areas the 120 scans are dust free. Unfortunately I need to continue using the 120 glass carrier as I have the ScanHancer diffuser in place and it only sits in the glass carrier. I'll need to keep an eye out for dust in future!

Thanks for the clue. Appreciated

Edited by Reeray
  • Like 3