Kodak Color Plus 200: opinions?

plasticman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What's people's experience of Kodak Color Plus 200? I've looked in the 'I like film' thread and around the web and Flickr, and I like the general look, but it's always difficult to say from web-images.

It seems like the film likes a lot of light - does it benefit from over-exposure the way Portra does? Fine grain or watercolor effect? - about this I've read contradictory online opinions.

What's the general impression? I happened to notice that the film is something of a bargain compared to the Professional films from Kodak, and thought it could be a nice film to stock up at low cost.

I was given a roll of this film recently, I haven't used it yet and have been wondering pretty much the same thing.

Hurry up and shoot it, then get back to me Mike!  :)

But seriously - the other question I forgot to ask, was whether ordering from Fotoimpex or Macodirect was reliable within Europe? I've always wondered if packages are given the full x-ray treatment when entering Sweden (they probably would if I got some mysterious package sent from Amsterdam), but maybe that doesn't actually happen? 

But seriously - the other question I forgot to ask, was whether ordering from Fotoimpex or Macodirect was reliable within Europe? I've always wondered if packages are given the full x-ray treatment when entering Sweden (they probably would if I got some mysterious package sent from Amsterdam), but maybe that doesn't actually happen? 

As soon as I've finished the Ektar currently in my XA2 I'll load it up. :) Kodak were giving it away at the Consumer Electronic Show over here, a friend grabbed a roll for me.

As to your other question, I've mailed film to and from Europe and never had an issue. I believe the volume of packages shipping internationally makes it impossible to x-ray all of them, only those from specific areas would be targeted regularly for x-ray, a package from a known dealer would be very unlikely to attract enough attention to warrant closer examination.

• Like 2

If it's what we had here as Kodak Gold 200, I used some and wasn't unhappy with it.

Possibly the Ektars and Portras are better, but they cost more, so obviously should be better.

Gary

Apparently it’s not Kodak Gold - although even about that simple fact there’s no internet agreement.

Otherwise I’ve pretty much only shot Portra since I started using film - and it’s magnificent. But a lot of my snapshots don’t deserve 9 euros per roll... 

We’ll see how it goes with the much cheaper Color Plus.

Hi Mani

I'm afraid I can answer about Color Plus (but I usually like what I see on Flickr). About Fotoimpex and Maco - I've ordered from both to here in the Netherlands and had no problems at all. Maco is usually extremely fast. They ship with DHL (at least to NL) which is very reliable.

br

Philip

• Like 1

I see quite a lot of this film being shot and shared on Facebook.  The rendition is somewhat of a classic traditional film look; a little on the warm side and with a potential of very good (oil) painterly look.  Every time I see a well-executed example I am always impressed with the film.  

I wouldn't expect it to be as scannable as portra or ektar or pro 400H; which means you'll probably have grainier images relatively speaking.  But take it for what it is and find the right scenes and I'm sure you'll be happy.  Would love to see example on the film thread if you have the time. Have fun!

• Like 1

I just opened my box of ColorPlus, the first thing I did was open the film pot and sniff it, as you do. I didn't smell like real film, I say it smells like plastic, my wife says it smells of nail polish, either way, it doesn't have that wonderful chemical smell of film.

Also, the film itself says Kodacolor, is it Kodacolor Gold or are they just using the same cans to save money?

Edited by mikemgb

I just opened my box of ColorPlus, the first thing I did was open the film pot and sniff it, as you do. I didn't smell like real film, I say it smells like plastic, my wife says it smells of nail polish, either way, it doesn't have that wonderful chemical smell of film.

Also, the film itself says Kodacolor, is it Kodacolor Gold or are they just using the same cans to save money?

OK Mike, I'm not quite sure about the 'smell test', but as far as I've been able to tell by reading around, it's not the same film as Gold.

I've seen several comparisons, and the conclusion seems to be that Color Plus has a less saturated, old-fashioned look (as Adam said above). Some people think it's warm, while others have said slightly cold... so I guess I'll shoot some and see.

Quite often these things depend on the amount of exposure a film gets - I always over-expose Portra, for instance, because I like the pastel look. I'll probably shoot this at 100 at first, and hopefully get the blue shadows that I've seen in some of the shots online.

PS: under-exposed images from this film look very horrible: a porridge of brown mush.

Edited by plasticman
  • Like 2

Oh well - nothing is easy, when it comes to traditional delivery companies...

Fotoimpex use DHL in Sweden - but DHL haven't heard it's the 21st century. They want me to stay home all day to receive the film-package, but they won't give the driver the code to get into my building, or my phone number so I can let him/her in. They deliver "to the pavement" as their website tells me. That's it. They offered to leave the package 'outside' tomorrow - but I'm not sure what that means for a city-centre location...?

I requested they re-route the package to my office address - but for this they need an okay from Fotoimpex - who haven't replied to my mails asking them to approve the new delivery location...

The only other alternative is somehow traveling to a depot far beyond the other side of town. Craziness.

OTOH at about 3pm this afternoon I ordered some groceries and other items from an online store here, and could track exactly where the delivery vehicle was, and how long before it delivered to me  - within 4 hours. Straight to the door, with a smiling and polite driver. I hope he gets well-paid and they make a profit. 

Companies like DHL are such dinosaurs.

• Like 1

Oh well - nothing is easy, when it comes to traditional delivery companies...

Fotoimpex use DHL in Sweden - but DHL haven't heard it's the 21st century. They want me to stay home all day to receive the film-package, but they won't give the driver the code to get into my building, or my phone number so I can let him/her in. They deliver "to the pavement" as their website tells me. That's it. They offered to leave the package 'outside' tomorrow - but I'm not sure what that means for a city-centre location...?

I requested they re-route the package to my office address - but for this they need an okay from Fotoimpex - who haven't replied to my mails asking them to approve the new delivery location...

The only other alternative is somehow traveling to a depot far beyond the other side of town. Craziness.

OTOH at about 3pm this afternoon I ordered some groceries and other items from an online store here, and could track exactly where the delivery vehicle was, and how long before it delivered to me  - within 4 hours. Straight to the door, with a smiling and polite driver. I hope he gets well-paid and they make a profit. 

Companies like DHL are such dinosaurs.

Get DHL to deliver to the Grocer, and they can handle the rest of the journey B)

I frequently have the same issue. I am away from my apartment at all delivery times, and instruct shippers to advise couriers to leave with Security, but the message seldom gets through. Then the communication breakdown continues day by day as I seek to resolve.

The end result is always what is first requested, but that last step often takes a week, when the movement from the other side of the World to Kuala Lumpur took 2 days.

• Like 1

On the YouTube channel "Negative Feedback - The Best Cheap 35mm Film Comparison" is Color Plus compared to other cheap color negative film. I have not yet tried it but it seems that AgfaPhoto Vista is going to be discontinued so I think it's a good alternative. I buy from time to time in Germany (Nordfoto or Macodirect). Always choose the office or my mothers address for delivery.

Best

• Like 1

I would say it's a decent film, slightly on the saturated side but not overly so. Overall good latitude as would be expected of a general-purpose color negative film.

13274733563_12ddd7a150_b.jpg

Taiwan Palace Museum, M6, 15/4.5 Voigtlander Super-Wide Heliar, Color-Plus 200

Edited by cobbu2
  • Like 3