Best AF setup for basketball

BCMielke

For a start, there are no fix rules. If you intend to track a moving subject. AFC, tracking, single point & medium continues ( I never like the high continuous as the buffer on SL isn’t big enough). Then again if back ground easily confuses AF then might have to rely on MF setting and use back button focus technique instead. Whatever you do, avoid shooting against light as that reduces the AF accuracy & reliability.

• Like 2

Do so if the situation permits i.e.. you have he time to aim and set the focal point as desired. 

My experience tells me to prefocus at a point I expect to start fixing my focus point against. Remember Leica lenses do not have the 'focus limiter' many Jap camera makers provide in their lenses. I will always select a point of convinence for me to reset and presrt the focus point before my subjects enters my view finder.

One trick that works well with SL is to just fire the trigger and trust the camera even when the viewfinder does not show a cearly focused subject if you have selected focus tracking and shoot on continuos drive mode. There is still time lag in the EVF to show the actual, therefore if you only fire after the image is completely sharp on fast moving subjects you would have missed lots and would certainly blame the camera for a very poor AF tracking capability. I also switch off the preview. I manually call up the preview when required.

Edited by sillbeers15
  • Like 1