EVF for the M

klytz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When, do you think, that we shall be introduced to the Electronic View Finder in the M? It must soon be the time for a move into a new era. Sorry if I may have missed an earlier discussion on his topic.

Greetings from Denmark

Klauson this topic.

The accessory is a big clumsy wart that attaches to the top of the camera. I believe the OP was asking about an integrated EVF, which I think would be a great feature for a future M.

Edited by mr_big

If you want an EVF based camera with no rangefinder for M Mount lenses the CL or SL are there... and they are cheaper and more flexible than the M10. But given the rangefinder and M mount define the M series, I can’t see Leica ditching either without discontinuing the line.

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some of us don't care about rangefinders. I certainly don't. It's something I put up with, rather than something I want. So why do I have an M10? Because the ONLY alternative, the SL, is way too big. The other alternatives (CL, TL2) are not full frame. I would happily get rid of the whole rangefinder thing and replace it with an EVF - especially if it became lighter, more compact, and cheaper in the bargain. 

• Like 4

This subject has been beat to death....see any of the various speculation, wishlist and member reaction threads that precede and follow every M iteration.

Last year included discussion of a post from Leica Rumors regarding an electronic RF and related patent. Subsequent remarks from Leica noted that attempts to incorporate a hybrid finder resulted in unacceptable compromises on both sides.

Jeff

• Like 2

Some of us don't care about rangefinders. I certainly don't. It's something I put up with, rather than something I want. So why do I have an M10? Because the ONLY alternative, the SL, is way too big. The other alternatives (CL, TL2) are not full frame. I would happily get rid of the whole rangefinder thing and replace it with an EVF - especially if it became lighter, more compact, and cheaper in the bargain.

For those who don’t care about or enjoy using rangefinders, and all the peccadillos they involve, it is bizarre beyond belief that the M would be your camera of choice.

But to each their own and if you are one of the crowd that wants to keep investing in an M system hoping that one day it will drop the rangefinder, adopt an EVF, have the highest resolution sensor available, add an autofocus rail for M lenses, incorporate IBIS or include whatever the next big thing that’s selling digital cameras is then carry on. However, it might be worth considering that there are other systems already available that suit your needs better and hoping the M will go that way may be banging your head against a brick wall.

• Like 11

When, do you think, that we shall be introduced to the Electronic View Finder in the M? It must soon be the time for a move into a new era. Sorry if I may have missed an earlier discussion on his topic. ...

Yes, several dozen. ... Hopefully, never. 

• Like 7

they have visoflex if you want evf. it's not as good as SL's evf. but it quite helpful for telephoto lens.

Thanks. Very helpful. It’s good to know that. But Maybe you should have read the whole thread before posting.

Thanks. Very helpful. It’s good to know that. But Maybe you should have read the whole thread before posting.

intergrated in the M you mean? then you're missing the M purpose, the rangefinder. sorry i don't get what you mean. or maybe you mean the hybrid evf like in fuji x100f? maybe that could be done. but i don't think leica can make it by its own. at least not now. they must collaborate with panasonic just like SL.

an integrated EVF in M body isn't just like leica CL? never mind i don't get it

For those who don’t care about or enjoy using rangefinders, and all the peccadillos they involve, it is bizarre beyond belief that the M would be your camera of choice.

But to each their own and if you are one of the crowd that wants to keep investing in an M system hoping that one day it will drop the rangefinder, adopt an EVF, have the highest resolution sensor available, add an autofocus rail for M lenses, incorporate IBIS or include whatever the next big thing that’s selling digital cameras is then carry on. However, it might be worth considering that there are other systems already available that suit your needs better and hoping the M will go that way may be banging your head against a brick wall.

The M isn't my camera of choice. I'm only in it for one reason - M lenses have no equal, and the best body for M lenses is an M camera. 

But really the M should ditch a whole bunch of anachronisms, beginning with that pointless rangefinder. Next to go should be that screw on bottom plate. 99% of the time I focus with the Visioflex 020, which gives more accurate framing and more precise focus especially when shooting wide open. 

Perhaps Leica should release an M with no rangefinder and a built-in EVF. Then see which version outsells which. 

• Like 2

M lenses have plenty of equals but the Leica RF, as an 'interface' between photographer and subject, has few. You post just reads like a spoof compilation of the various whinges that we get on this forum at regular intervals.

The M isn't my camera of choice. I'm only in it for one reason - M lenses have no equal, and the best body for M lenses is an M camera. 

But really the M should ditch a whole bunch of anachronisms, beginning with that pointless rangefinder. Next to go should be that screw on bottom plate. 99% of the time I focus with the Visioflex 020, which gives more accurate framing and more precise focus especially when shooting wide open. 

Perhaps Leica should release an M with no rangefinder and a built-in EVF. Then see which version outsells which. 

• Like 5

It is hard to fathom the existential angst that must be suffered by all those who feel compelled to buy M cameras as some sort of jewellery/fashionista/proof of photgraphic cred piece but actually hate the cameras, yearn for the tech specs and the full feature set of other systems and then proceed to try and convince people who enjoy manual focussing with rangefinders that the sine qua non of the M system is a hopeless flaw that should be overhauled.

If you hate using a rangefinder, surely there are cheaper ways to punish yourself than buying a Leica M and a bunch of M glass.

• Like 7

I am not trying to convince you to give up a rangefinder. If you like it, great. I personally prefer the EVF. But I don't like the great big wart that sits on top of the M10 that is the EVF, I would prefer it to be integrated and get rid of the rangefinder that is surplus to my needs since I hardly ever use it. 

The suggestion that I bought it as a luxury item is offensive. I bought it because of the lenses and the compact size. I am not like some people I know who own Montblanc Limited Edition pens which are true white elephants that don't even write all that well because they are status symbols. If you cared about a pen that writes, you would own a Pelikan, not a Montblanc. 

I've used both M rangefinder and other SLR (now EVF) cameras since 1969, as there are strengths for both. But a design to combine both in one device will be less usable / capable than two specific focused models. Carrying two bodies and appropriate lenses for each does make for a larger kit, but each camera does it's job with little overlap.

I do have an 020 EVF for the M10, and use it for 21 and 135 lenses, but if I'm doing more that needs TTL viewing I'll take a different camera.

I don't find the size of the SL bad, and since it is good with both M and R lenses, I may switch to it instead of teh A7 I use now for R.

But I won't give up the strengths of an M for a do-it-all camera.

• Like 2