Battery Life Span

smitty's

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Folks,

Been searching through the forums but have been unable to find a direct answer to this question: What is the expected life span of a M9,M8 battery? My batteries are still working but I dont feel as though they last as long as they once did without recharging. Sometimes a battery in the camera will show a good amount of charge then suddenly go down hill. M8 bought used in 2010 still working on same batteries and M9 also bought used. Without swapping out batteries in the field I would be dead in the water fairly quickly.

Thanks, Smitty

Edited by smitty's

My official Leica M-E battery was made in China (2015). I have no expectations due to this at all. If it will works five years, I'll be thankful. My not MiC, nor Leica batteries in cameras purchased in 2009,2010 still sufficient enough.  Not as good as new, but nothing short.   

After 5 years, the battery capacity has dropped to 75% (about 15k photos). Knowing that the minimum battery level for operation of the camera is 10%, the actual capacity is no more than 65% of the declared capacity. I have the impression that at lower temperatures the battery performance is even lower. 

Like yourself I have a mix of batteries from 10 to 4 years old - all still work ok and I couldn't say if one was worse or better than the rest. Usually I run them until I get a low battery warning then change and charge. Work for me. When one fails (only one so far in ten years) I simply replace it - I currently have 6 or 7 batteries all from Leica.