Torn between M9 or M10

Fauxtog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still in love with my M9 after eight years.  It has been my primary camera on every overseas and most interstate trips in this time and has worked very well.  Any regular failings are due to the nature of a manual focus camera without TTL viewing.  When these are not issues, the M9 is superb.

The bigger buffer of the M10 is enticing, though, as are the improved rangefinder mechanism, slimmer body, quieter shutter, wider dynamic range and far better high ISO.  I haven't processed enough M10 raws to know if I fully like the look of the files in the same way as the M9, though.  Not sure if losing the M9 look is worth the upgrades in features, or if I'm able to tweak M10 files to my satisfaction.  I might only know after renting a M10 for a weekend and shooting both cameras side by side.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...
Am 27.2.2018 um 15:21 schrieb wattsy:

I think both have more in common with photos from iPhone than they do with Tri-X. I appreciate they were taken in drab fluorescent light but both look like run of the mill greyscale digital. You are right that there is little to choose between the two (on this parameter).

Yes, I agree.

Files from M9 (or M9M) have nothing in common with Tri X or HP5. They just look different, also beautiful on there own. People should stop comparing apples and oranges. 

For myself, when I had M9M, of course went out to do a comparison with my MP. Nonsens. But I needed to do that to calm my mind.

Both are great, BUT than I compared Darkroom Prints vs Digital Prints on the same paper. The Darkroom prints have another depth. Breathtaking.

So it all depends, what your final presentation will be (computer/paper/exhibition/small prints/large prints). 

Just my humble opinion on personal experience.

Four years on and I'm still using the M9. In the last couple of months, it has produced the most drippingly rich images I've created, due to learning even more about the M9's response to Lightroom adjustments, and there's a quality of fine tonal gradation that I have only been able to approach with my newly acquired Panasonic S5. Do I still want a M10? At this stage, no. In the right light, the M9 and Zeiss Distagon 35 is the best camera combination I've ever used, and the only thing better would be a M11 or maybe the SL2-S.

• Like 4