Torn between M9 or M10

Fauxtog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M9:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

M10:

• Like 1

I don't know whether the word 'prestige' was lost in translation.  

As an amateur is my only reason for upgrading for 'prestige"? That is a bit insulting to us 'non-professorials'.  Some may buy Leica just for the name but I would think that many of us amateurs who are fortunate enough to afford the new camera because we 'make money elsewhere', can also make an informed decision that the new camera may be a significant upgrade for use.  As you state in the previous sentence 'it is a better tool overall'.  

If I upgrade my camera I go without elsewhere, or work extra to pay for it.  My camera is not bought as branded prestige jewellery.  Most people I know have never heard of Leica so where is the 'prestige'?

Agree totally. If it is your hobby/interest you buy what you want and can afford. No justifications required. The latest Leica offerings as a amateur camera system is peanuts compared with many leisure activities.

Edited by pedaes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

B&W from Silver Efex. High Structure (Smooth) with Orange filter.

• Like 1

That too, but the M8 looks good, no?

It really does. To my dilettante eyes, impressive and in many ways more pleasing that B&W conversions from an M9.

I will tell you though, my favorite B&W conversions straight OOC JPEGs:

Ricoh GR.

If you haven’t tried it, you should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you willing to spend or borrow 4K for more pixels, longer battery life and higher ISO? 

Yes, perhaps.

Is it going to make you better photographer?  

Maybe

Generate more awards or assignments? 

You never know

For me it cuts on very first question.

If I'll really need more pixels, great battery and high ISO it means I need SLR available at 1K new. :)

If ISO 640 is all you'll ever need Ko.Fe.Fe, then stick with an M8 or M9. If the haptics of a small Leica RF is the same to you as a DSLR in hand, then go for a $1k NIKON Dxxxxxxxx with kung-fu grip. Personally, got tired of dragging 3 kg of camera + two lenses around. YMMV of course. Can be a good biceps workout.

But I understand why some professorial are doing this update. It is better tool overall.

Or amateurs who knew how to make money elsewhere. New is more prestige.   

For some, yes, it is prestige, That's why in 3 years time you'll find barely-used M10s with 200 clicks. Or 10 year old Porsches with 5000 kms. That's just the way some people operate. 

Some of my acquaintances with M9s immediately swapped for an M240 because it was demonstrably superior. Others weren't swayed and preferred the CCD 'look'. Or the camera's size and/or didn't have the cash. Some of the latter are now ready to move on after the sensor fiasco. Or they want a thinner camera. Or they're tired of the slow operational speed. Or done shooting a Summarit in good light only. Whatever. All valid. As is sticking with the M9 until its last breath. 

ISO 640 is one third of the common theories for M9 use. ISO 640 is for those who needs to enlarge at pixels level.

Theory number two is to push 640 upto three time. It works well on static photography.

I'm on the third batch. I expose properly and I\m using pictures for 8.5x11 prints or for large screens viewed from the distance.

Here is ISO2500 shots I have zero problems to use this way:

35715180973_77b3dae8d0_o.jpg

35516865943_0fd26c7617_o.jpg

I have seen people barely using film cameras and digital SLRs. It is not related to brand, camera. It is personal approach. 500 clicks DSLR are also common. 

I don't know whether the word 'prestige' was lost in translation.  

As an amateur is my only reason for upgrading for 'prestige"? That is a bit insulting to us 'non-professorials'.  Some may buy Leica just for the name but I would think that many of us amateurs who are fortunate enough to afford the new camera because we 'make money elsewhere', can also make an informed decision that the new camera may be a significant upgrade for use.  As you state in the previous sentence 'it is a better tool overall'.  

If I upgrade my camera I go without elsewhere, or work extra to pay for it.  My camera is not bought as branded prestige jewellery.  Most people I know have never heard of Leica so where is the 'prestige'?

There are many people at any photo forums who updates just to be on the top. Just for prestige.  It is nothing unusual. People do the same with phones, cars, boats and so on. It is called "consumerism". Well known, isn't it?

What for you bought, I don't know. I was not speaking about you. I don't know you. Would I update if I have free cash? Absolutely.  

• Like 2

I think both have more in common with photos from iPhone than they do with Tri-X. I appreciate they were taken in drab fluorescent light but both look like run of the mill greyscale digital. You are right that there is little to choose between the two (on this parameter).

Thanks all for your answers. Interesting that no one has mentioned the character that the M9 gives to monochrome images. Due to the noisy sensor at higher iso. Gives a sort of Try-X film look. And I like that as i shoot mostly mono. And at the end of the day, there's little to choose as you can see from this comparison shot. For those that don't want to follow the link on my first post, here are the comparison images for you.

post-29697-0-82568600-1519403012.jpg

• Like 1

While my M9-p has been to the Leica NJ spa, I acquired a SL and am still ambivalent about it.  I've been shooting mostly native SL lenses, and the Nocti 0.95 and new Thambar-M on it.  While it's a spectacular camera, and I managed to get some amazing live Cirque du Soleil shots that I know I could not have gotten with an M camera, I am absolutely looking forward to getting the M9-p back.  I will be in Wetzlar this summer and perhaps handle the M10 a bit.  In my mind I appreciate the simplicity of the M system, appreciate the focusing I am torn!  Sell the SL? Sell the M9-p, the MMv1?  Will I get more out of a M10 if I get rid of the MM and M9-p.  It's a personal decision, but like watches and fountain pens, I can really only use one at a time and I'm quickly racking them up lol.

Sell the SL? Sell the M9-p, the MMv1?  Will I get more out of a M10 if I get rid of the MM and M9-p.  It's a personal decision, but like watches and fountain pens, I can really only use one at a time and I'm quickly racking them up lol.

Sell: SL, M9P [fetches $3k +(!)] >> buy an M10

Keep: MM v.1

The B&W conversions above look like what they are; what "Wattsy" said. If you've already got the MM, you know what it's capable of. Stick with color on the M10.

Edited by james.liam
  • Like 2