Samples of the 90mm Apo SL

Csacwp

I have the 75mm, so its next on the review list!

90mm

http://www.aphotovid.com/leica-sl90mm-summicron-images/

I’ve seen a few examples here on the forum of the 75. At first sight it looks to me quite similar to the 75 Summicron M, which never attracted me. So I’m very curious whether your examples can convince me otherwise.

What strikes me in the 90 is the beautiful transition from sharp to unsharp, which is something else as the bo-keh itself. One can see that in the pictures of the grain and the color powders

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

I’ve seen a few examples here on the forum of the 75. At first sight it looks to me quite similar to the 75 Summicron M, which never attracted me. So I’m very curious whether your examples can convince me otherwise.

What strikes me in the 90 is the beautiful transition from sharp to unsharp, which is something else as the bo-keh itself. One can see that in the pictures of the grain and the color powders

Thanks for your comment(s), Otto. Yes, the 75SL's in- and out-of-focus renderings are pleasant. The micro-sharpness is very high. The image of the shaver, as an example, illustrates the latter.

At first, I was wondering to which extent the sharpness/crispness of the 75mm SL Nepal images by Cira Crowell were primarily due to post-processing, but based on the 90SL examples by Andrew Gough, I guess the 75SL contributed to this.

The bokeh of the 90SL is, generally, smooth and without the, for my liking, somewhat disturbing rendering from e.g. 35mm FLE Lux-M.

It would also be interesting to see a comparison between the excellent 24-90SL and the 75SL and/or 90SL. Beyond the f2 vs f4 difference between the zoom and the primes; is the rendering/characteristics otherwise similar?

• Like 1