90mm Apo Summicron R

Csacwp

Does anybody have a photo of the 90mm Apo-Summicron R mounted on an SL? I'm considering getting one to use with my M and SL. I already own the M version of the lens, but wouldn't mind having a backup copy.

Exterior dimensions are identical to APO-SL75. There are lots of pics in the internet on both 75 & 90.

Does anybody have a photo of the 90mm Apo-Summicron R mounted on an SL?  I'm considering getting one to use with my M and SL.  I already own the M version of the lens, but wouldn't mind having a backup copy.

You will pay a hefty premium for the optically identical R version; many have been adapted for use by videographers, adding to their rarity and price in the original unmodified mount. If you need a 'backup', get another M-version for less.

As an aside, help me understand this lens backup thing. I don't 'get' it. How often do they fail, really?

Edited by james.liam

You will pay a hefty premium for the optically identical R version; many have been adapted for use by videographers, adding to their rarity and price in the original unmodified mount. If you need a 'backup', get another M-version for less.

As an aside, help me understand this lens backup thing. I don't 'get' it. How often do they fail, really?

Exactly what I was thinking....

How can a manual focus lens fail??? Unless you drop it...

• Like 1

Does anybody have a photo of the 90mm Apo-Summicron R mounted on an SL?  I'm considering getting one to use with my M and SL.  I already own the M version of the lens, but wouldn't mind having a backup copy.

Here:

40329861552_067aff277e_o.jpgC1010870 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

It's a nice lens.  Smaller than the M version, but of course the R to SL adapter makes up the difference.

This was available pretty cheap when the SL first came out, and I don't think the situation has changed.  It's fairly common but E-Bay prices vary wildly.  If you have a line on a good one and a fair price it might be an investment opportunity...

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking at the picture of the R90mm + R to L adapter on the SL, it is about the same size as the SL75/90. I’m certain weight would not make much diff,

The SL75/90 lenses are designed for digital sensor and it comes with AF. Unless you have already own the R lens or you can be lucky to find one in mint condition and cost next to nothing, else the adapter itself isn’t cheap and you have to manually focus it.

Personally, I prefer the rendering performance of the even older non-APO Summicron-R 90mm f/2. The APO-90-R ASPH model is sharper and more consistent throughout the aperture range, but that's one of the charms of the original Walter Mandler design: turn the aperture ring and get very different rendering qualities. :)

Curious, How does that minimum focus distance change if you use it in an M with an adapter and EVF?

It doesn't.

Apo-Summicron-M 90 does focus down to 1m regardless of the camera.

Apo-Summicron-R 90 does focus to 0.7m regardless of the camera.

These are hard-stops on the lens barrel, you can't bypass them unless you use an adapter for macro that move the whole lens further away from the focal plane...

• Like 2

It doesn't.

Apo-Summicron-M 90 does focus down to 1m regardless of the camera.

Apo-Summicron-R 90 does focus to 0.7m regardless of the camera.

These are hard-stops on the lens barrel, you can't bypass them unless you use an adapter for macro that move the whole lens further away from the focal plane...

Thanks for that clarification. I wasn't certain. I guess using the EVF on an M or SL negates the mechanical limitations of the RF or whatever mirrored system the original lens came from. I'm planning on using a Nikon lens on an M with EVF so I guess it will focus down to the lens' MFD. 

Cool.

Personally, I prefer the rendering performance of the even older non-APO Summicron-R 90mm f/2. The APO-90-R ASPH model is sharper and more consistent throughout the aperture range, but that's one of the charms of the original Walter Mandler design: turn the aperture ring and get very different rendering qualities. :)

I appreciate the Mandler lenses as well.  When photographing my wife, I use a 75 lux.  When shooting subjects for my documentary work, I prefer the 90 Apo.

I appreciate the Mandler lenses as well.  When photographing my wife, I use a 75 lux.  When shooting subjects for my documentary work, I prefer the 90 Apo.

Interesting... We choose just about the opposite lenses for two kinds of work. I do my more documentary work with the Summarit-M 75mm because it is so sharp everywhere, and the 90R for portraiture because it has that lovely softness with sharp insides when wide open. :D