Camera decisions

Acekerman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

go for the GFX, tick almost all my box, except the longer than X1D flange distance... and far more affordable than both Leica and Hassy..

It definitely has some advantages over the X1D.  It has the same sensor (aside from some microlens differences), so similar performance.  Same 4:3 aspect ratio and same 51 megapixels and same high ISO performance and same dynamic range.

I chose the X1D over the GFX because it is much smaller and lighter and is a better match for me in terms of simplified, almost simplistic, user interface.  Few buttons on the X1D and no need to take my eye away from the viewfinder.  There is no question, though, that the GFX has more features, more lenses, more adaptability to legacy lenses, a better viewfinder, and faster autofocus.  For someone who is thinking about an S, it should certainly be a candidate.  For most people, I suspect the choice between the X1D and GFX will come down to:

* Size and weight (X1D is smaller and lighter)

* Interface (simple controls vs. more comprehensive/dedicated set of buttons and knobs)

* Speed in use (GFX is definitely faster)

* Adaptability of non-native lenses without having to use the electronic shutter

* EVF quality

* Tip/Tilt LCD (GFX feature)

* Current availability of native lenses (GFX has 6 available, 2 more in current roadmap; X1D has 4 available, 5 more in current roadmap)

* Size and stability of the vendor (huge advantage for Fujifilm here)

Camera focal plane shutter vs lens leaf shutter.... affects flash synch and vibration/ handhold ability, apart from lens adaptability.

And the Fuji has one native lens with OIS.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

go for the GFX, tick almost all my box, except the longer than X1D flange distance... and far more affordable than both Leica and Hassy..

i can’t imagine anyone buying the GFX. It’s got to be the ugliest camera on the market. When it comes to ugly and ugly is important to you then DONT buy or even accept a GFX as a present

S stands for sexy and H stands for Hansome....... go figure

Neil

i can’t imagine anyone buying the GFX. It’s got to be the ugliest camera on the market. When it comes to ugly and ugly is important to you then DONT buy or even accept a GFX as a present

S stands for sexy and H stands for Hansome....... go figure

Neil

Really? I didn't notice. God, I bought the wrong camera to be a fashionistas....

I better go shoot myself now.

But you are right though, S is sexy. I don't really like H (H6D) as it looks likes different bits glued together, the viewfinder is visually separated to the body, and the body is to the lens. it look like 3 block of stuff jam packed together. I guess it has the ugly-ness from Fujifilm, who is expert at making ugly cameras! X1D is a different story, but then again, a camera that takes 8s to startup.... it's so 1990s....

Edited by xiaubauu2009

Camera focal plane shutter vs lens leaf shutter.... affects flash synch and vibration/ handhold ability, apart from lens adaptability.

And the Fuji has one native lens with OIS.

Jeff

Ya, the vibration is an issue particular when I adapt it onto the Cambo Actus for stitching shifting and tilting purposes. The Cambo frame is not stable enough for the shake of the shutter. I have to sometimes turn it to ES if I didn't lock the knob properly. But I am sure future GFX will be IBIS as with the new camera X-H1 that has sensor IS. Then it will be perfect.

Fujifilm GFX 50s + Cambo Actus GFX + Rodenstock APO Rodagon 80mm f/4

6 image stitched.
34441472964_50539486ac_h.jpg
  • Like 6

Really? I didn't notice. God, I bought the wrong camera to be a fashionistas....

dont be to hard on yourself........ everyone &$@&$,s up now and then :) :) :)

But you are right though, S is sexy. I don't really like H (H6D) as it looks likes different bits glued together, the viewfinder is visually separated to the body, and the body is to the lens. it look like 3 block of stuff jam packed together. I guess it has the ugly-ness from Fujifilm, who is expert at making ugly cameras! X1D is a different story, but then again, a camera that takes 8s to startup.... it's so 1990s....

H is for huge ;)

The OP is effectively looking for a fesh start, primarily for landscape and portraiture and not street. To my mind that means either a controlled environment, where weight isn’t an issue, or outside with a tripod and backpack. Excuse me just getting a bit of context.

To my mind, such a decision is not just about the camera - it’s about the system. Lenses are a greater commitment than the camera which, being digital, are more ... disposable.

I was very tempted by the X1D and 30mm and perhaps 90mm XCD lenses. It looks like a great system, but in the end not as mature and well developed as the (more expensive) Leica offering. The Leica S lenses would be hard to resist, if I was in that ballpark. The S007 would also be my choice (if I could justify it).

Weathersealed, single lens to get started, with a long term plan to add further primes and to trade the camera up.