Camera decisions

Acekerman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im a life long Leica M shooter. But have owned many many cameras. I currently shoot a M 240 50mm Summicron.  I enjoy it but not like I loved my previous M9 Monochrom. I shot a Leica S 007 a week ago and was blown away by the renderings. Especially the black and white conversions. Like the monochrom but with massive resolution. I should add,  I shoot mostly landscape. Very little street but some portraits. I've been toying with a few ideas and would love input.

1 Sell my M 240 w/lens  and get a Leica S 007 & 70mm

2 Keep the M 240  w/lens and get a S2 or 006 & 70mm

3 Forgive me but sell the M 240 and get a Hasselblad X1D

Thoughts? All input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Best

Brian

Demo them all and see what you think. Of course if you want live view for landscape, the earlier S cameras are out.

An S008 announcement is anticipated this year. That could affect S system prices.... again. There are also discussions regarding the X1D, including a comparison thread in the SL forum.

I’m keeping my M10 and MM, but am considering a complement to my M system, including the S, SL or X1D.... or their successors. But I ruled out the S006 after using it for a week with the S zoom.

Lots of pluses and minuses depending on individual needs and preferences. I need to take pics and make prints using my own workflow before committing to an overall system.

Jeff

I encourage you to try the X1D. You've already handled the (007). From a handling standpoint, I actually prefer the (006), but it lacks many conveniences that the (007) provides. Live View and the better ISO/DR are not insignificant! And the zoom is a bad match for the (006), but works very well on the (007). All the other lenses are superb on both cameras. My favorite capture of all time is a BW conversion from the S(006) and the 24mm.

No bad choices here!

--Matt

Edited by mgrayson3

You do not say why you prefer your previous M9 to your M240, but maybe you would like the rendering of the S006 over that of the S007. An S006 will be considerably cheaper compared to an S007, and if your photography mainly involves tripod work (for landscape) or studio lighting (for portraits), an S006 may be all you need and want. I have an S006 (and an M240) and love its picture quality, the only limitation for me is the ISO range when using the S006 as a walkabout camera. I have too many S lenses to consider an X1D but for you there is not reason not to try it.

If you are talking b&w conversions then there's little difference between the 007 and X1D. Both make sensational black and white files. Personally I prefer the S007 files in conversion but that's almost entirely because of the lenses. The S primes are class leading. The HB lenses are more neutral but lack a little something that the S lenses have. S2 files have a bit more punch when converted due to the lower DR. Mostly I prefer the lesser noise and higher ISO envelope of the 007 sensor.

The 30-90 is a dog on the 007 as well. I have two copies and they're both average. (Well one is average. The other is rubbish.) Centre is great but they smear in the corners at the long end, even stopped down. The primes however are staggering......

S lenses work surprisingly well on the SL. And the S can take HC Hasselblad lenses with AF.

As a camera the X1D has some significant advantages. More than one focusing point. Better ergonomics (although the S buttons are better). No mandatory LENR and exposures up to an hour. Touch screen. All the advantages mirrorless offers.

The S has the lenses. Stellar battery life. You may prefer the OVF to an EVF? 4K video.

Gordon

I was also underwhelmed with the S zoom, although as noted, I only tried it on the S 006. Too slow for handholding in other than good light and not up to typical Leica prime IQ. I would love to see Leica up its game on this or other S zooms. They did it with the SL zooms....with needed OIS to boot.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, that sounds like you'll be happy with the S ? So why would you want to keep the M ? You dont specify any reason why you would want to.

If at all, get another M Monochrom again for those times the S is too large ?

About option 3, I would strongly recomment considering the Fujifilm GFX over the DJI/Hasselblad X1D.

• Like 1

Im a life long Leica M shooter. But have owned many many cameras. I currently shoot a M 240 50mm Summicron.  I enjoy it but not like I loved my previous M9 Monochrom. I shot a Leica S 007 a week ago and was blown away by the renderings. Especially the black and white conversions. Like the monochrom but with massive resolution. I should add,  I shoot mostly landscape. Very little street but some portraits. I've been toying with a few ideas and would love input.

1 Sell my M 240 w/lens  and get a Leica S 007 & 70mm

2 Keep the M 240  w/lens and get a S2 or 006 & 70mm

3 Forgive me but sell the M 240 and get a Hasselblad X1D

Thoughts? All input is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Best

Brian

Hello Brian,

I take it from your options that budget priority means that you only keep the M240 if you purchase a S 006. That is the approach I would recommend.

I have a S 006 and M-P 240. I have tried out the S 007 and it is a superb handling camera with excellent results. There are things about it that I like better than S 006 and there are things about the S 006 that I like better than S 007. At the moment the S 006 likes outweigh the S 007 for me.

I have also been testing a Monochrom 246 for the last month, that Leica sent me for evaluation and feedback. My preliminary impression is that there is nothing better for black and white in this format. The S 006 black and white results are somewhat better, therefore in your situation you would not be missing anything.

The S 006 and M 240 make a great pair. S for top image quality and handling, and M for compactness with good image quality and low light application. Both also have a variety of high quality lenses to add later.

Regards,

Jesse

• Like 1

You should try out the X1D and their lenses and see if it is for you. Just to get peace of mind. I tried it and somehow it was not for me. I went for an S2, which was offered to me at a price I could not refuse. Got a contax adapter and finally some S lenses. In good light the S2 is really fantastic. Also with flash work (obviously). Long time exposure is a more controversial discussion as a lot feel the Long Exp Noise Reduction gets sometimes in the way and should be possible to be switched off.

I have owned and used the cameras you are talking about.

IMO the IQ of either S006,S007 and x1d is significant better than that of the M IMO.

Also AF of all 3 is more easy to focus than the rangefinder (IMO), at least for everything longer than 50mm.

I still own S006 and S007, I find the S007 does not only have ISO advantages, it also has better dynamic range and it is a faster camera overall. But I get there are many who do love /prefer the S006 color (I havent made up my mind about this question).

The x1d has one big advantage - size of body and lenses. I also recommend checking it out and then deciding which you like better S or x1d. The x1d is smaller , the S is much faster and a more complete system.

I believe the x1d could more easy also replace the M because it is more compact than the S.

I have not enough experience with the x1d yet to judge how its lenses compare to the S lenses.

I've been off and on with alle the Ms including the monochroms, I now have the M10 because of the finder. But I have been with the S system for 8 years now, S2, S006 and S007. Loved the S006, but honestly I don't see any difference  from the S007, except this camera is so much tighter and more versatile due to the higher ISO, this expands the usage envelope a lot, since MF is more prone to camera shake error than other formats.

I have 6 S-lenses, all upgraded to new AF solution. I even like the zoom (don't agree that is is a "dog", but a zoom is not a prime, and mine was in for "optical adjustment" when I upgraded the AF).

I have not tried the X1D, if you mainly shoot equivalents of 35-50mm and walk around a lot it sounds great, although an X2D would probably be more mature.

I use 24-180mm with the S in all types of situations - travel (last summer: Karakoram Highway in China), snow (last shot in -21C), mountain hikes - it is extremely versatile.

I expect an S008 to be announced at Photokina this fall (but delivery may be later), but prices of S007 have already come down. There are even rumours of a mono S.

Comparing S006 to X1D I am afraid the 'blad would be strong due to ISO, it just makes the camera so much more versatile, but for me the S007 encompasses it all.

I have not tried the X1D, if you mainly shoot equivalents of 35-50mm and walk around a lot it sounds great, although an X2D would probably be more mature.

The young system will soon have lenses from 21-135, while the S took years to get to 24-180 and still lacks long rumored tele and T/S lenses. It will be interesting to see where the X1D (and expected variants) stands in a few more years.

Jeff

I will not choose S system if I start from fresh though I am not sure I will pick any Medium format system over S if I must have a medium format system.

At least wait until S008 to see if the system is going the way you want it go.

Stay with Leica M or Canon, Nikon Sony etc.... trouble free, low maintenance cost and easy to go in and go out.

Brian

I initially had a S006 and upgraded it to the S007 ............pretty much like chalk and oranges. Some folks preferred the CCD sensor but for me the COSMO sensor knocks spots off it in many ways, mainly due to the higher ISO capabilities and IMOO I also preferred the rendering of the S007.

I haven't used my leica S007 it in a while but its a definite keeper and very easy to use as an everyday camera as long as your not 5ft nothing or/and struggle to open a packet of cheese and onion crisps on your own.

Like others have said the S lenses are amazing. I nearly bought the X1D but ended up buying its big brother the H6D100c ...............That to is amazing at ISO1600 and at ISO64 on a tripod is just WOW..............Hopefully Hasselblad with introduce some better HC lenses that can handle the 100 megapixel sensor better.

Once you move over to MF weather its with a S00 whatever or a X!D or a GFX........................FF just doesn't cut it anymore.

Neil

Well, that sounds like you'll be happy with the S ? So why would you want to keep the M ? You dont specify any reason why you would want to.

If at all, get another M Monochrom again for those times the S is too large ?

About option 3, I would strongly recomment considering the Fujifilm GFX over the DJI/Hasselblad X1D.

Actually I'd try both. I did and the X1D was better for me.

And please stop with the DJI branding of Hasselblad. We don't call it the Blackstone M10, do we?

Gordon

• Like 1

Sell the lot and buy a 10X8, do it properly.

James if he sells the M240 and his summerlux he could get a 8x10 for landscape and a 4x5 for street............and a few sheets of film :) :)

I have both the M (10) and S systems (007). My advice would be to consider the logistics of both systems for your photography. Even though I have tried hard over the years to bring the S with me when I go hiking, skiing, traveling (and I have some great shots as a result), I now tend to grab the M and 2-3 lenses for everything that involves me carrying stuff on my shoulders, especially when I travel with the family or other people and photography is not the only object of the journey. The S is now used almost exclusively in the studio. Yes, image quality is nice, but carrying the S plus 2-3 lenses on my back is not. In summary, if you normally travel alone, drive to your landscape destination and maybe hike only a short distance, you will love the S. If you (like me) normally get to shoot landscapes while traveling on holidays with family or friends, while skiing, hiking, canoeing etc and your program involves a bunch of things other than photography, then stick with the M.

• Like 1