Missing the lens information (focal, aperture)

phongph

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All!

Please advice to fix the issue of the lens aperture information after upgrading the latest FW 1.10.4.0 for my M10. The aperture information did not change (still keep f1.4) on LV or EVF Visoflex 002 although I turn the ring to adjust the aperture from f1.4 to 2.8, 5.6 ... for my both lens: M35 ASPH Lux Fle (coded) and M75 Lux (uncode).

Thanks in advance!

Edited by phongph

Untill now, no aperture information can be read from M10's files.

Maybe in future firmware, if Leica want to.

f/1.4 what you see is only the lens type (manual chosing Lux 75 or detected Lux 35)

Edited by a.noctilux

Please advice to fix the issue of the lens aperture information after upgrading the latest FW 1.10.4.0 for my M10. 

There is a workaround for it, you need to look at the figures engraved on the lens and the aperture chosen is the one nearest the white dot. I guess when Leica started making lenses they foresaw this problem arising someday.

• Like 4

Hi “a.noctilux” and “250swb”!

Thanks for your information!

This issue seems from the lastest FW of M10.

I have no problem with the previous FW of M10 from Apr, 2016 until updating the latest FW. I hope Leica will solve this issue soon by next FW for M10.

Thanks!

Leica left the aperture information out because it was unreliable - it cannot be precise with a mechanical system. I am not sure whether they will bring it back.

Focal length is different; that is communicated by the 6-bit code (and the frameline selection) and should show up in EXIF.

• Like 1

This issue seems from the lastest FW of M10.

I have no problem with the previous FW of M10 from Apr, 2016 until updating the latest FW. I hope Leica will solve this issue soon by next FW for M10.

Thanks!

Are you sure that was from M10 available only on 2017 january ?

My M10's files from 2017 february never have the lens aperture set on DNG or JPG files from it from start.

Only 6bit coded lens type read (or choosen by user) of lens type recorded in those files.

Edited by a.noctilux

Are you sure that was from M10 available only on 2017 january ?

My M10's files from 2017 february never have the lens aperture set on DNG or JPG files from it from start.

Only 6bit coded lens type read (or choosen by user) of lens type recorded in those files.

Hi!

Sorry for wrong typing. My M10 was from April, 2017.

Thanks!

Never had aperture info on any of my files and My M10 was on of the early ones regardless of the updates.

Hi Bill W!

Sorry, I confused and did not remember exactly the aperture information since I just use my M75 Lux and M35 Lux at f1.4 on my M10!

I read the aperture information on my SL601 with M lens, but it is not exact.

Thanks!

Edited by phongph

The lens doesn't communicate its current aperture to the camera.The camera doesn't know. Past M cameras tried to guess, but they did a bad job of it.

Indeed the bogus information is annoying when posting a picture with an EXIF file because not everybody knows about Leica guesswork, and put a strong filter on the lens and everything is recorded as being shot at f/32. 

• 2 weeks later...

I shot with a pre-production M10 in November 2016, and it still did show estimated aperture. The feature was abandoned in the production version of the camera for reasons stated above. This is not an "issue", but a manufacturer's conscious decision.

That is a very odd choice. If the camera is modifying the DNG content based on a combination of lens and aperture information, surely the estimated aperture that was used for that correction should be considered reliable enough to be useful to the user. And dumbing down a tool because you think that your users are too dumb to understand its limitations seems a weird marketing decision.

As an aside, presumably using an ND filter throws off the colour and vignetting corrections with some lenses. I should probably try this to see what happens...

Leica left the aperture information out because it was unreliable - it cannot be precise with a mechanical system.

So what! I can live with an estimated aperture information but not with no information at all. It is 2018 – things which were state of the art in a M9 have been burried with a M10 ????

This would be a great AI feature to add into Lightroom. Train a Neural Net with Xx,xxx images from each lens at multiple apertures and I bet it would do a really good job estimating the aperture. 

No electronics in the camera needed

Granted it's a niche ;-)

So what! I can live with an estimated aperture information but not with no information at all. It is 2018 – things which were state of the art in a M9 have been burried with a M10 ????

When I was learning photography, they would make us look at a picture and just by the way it looks figure out the focal length and aperture. Whoever would determine the actual lens by its signature would get an extra credit. Not that I desperately need this skill now, but by looking at a scene, I have a pretty good idea as to which lens at what aperture to use to get the look that I want. You may argue that this story has nothing to do with what you said, but I would respectfully disagree :)

I think it is better as it is now. Either give a correct value or nothing at all. The estimates from the M9 is often way off and it useless. I can guess as good as the camera so why bother. 

What is the added value of the guessed number? It will only confuse people that don't know that the camera is guessing and it means nothing for those who knows.